Sea Hurricane I, 801 Sqn, Operation Pedestal (Airfix / Alley Cat, 1:72)

Sabre_days

I presume this is an error on the transfer sheet.  From the appearance of the Sky trim and the codes carried together behind the roundel, this is a Sea Hurricane of 885 Sq, on HMS Victorious during Pedestal.  The Sky trim was also carried by 881 Sq, on HMS Indomitable, but they split the codes around the roundel.  Two of their aircraft were operated by 800 at this time, but these were 7.E and 7.F.  Most of Pedestal's Sea Hurricanes lacked the Fighter Command Sky trim and had black spinners, including the majority of 800's.

What serial is given for .7H?

PS  Digging through my old notes, V7077 has been illustrated "as a Victorious aircraft" with &H codes but no photo.  Film from HMS Eagle shows SH with single character codes carried in front of the roundel and no Sky trim, including H but this had A1-type roundels not the later C1.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good kit and interesting conversion. 

Hat's off to Ally Cat for offering us this set, however surely a well priced modern day 1/72 tin wing Hurricane is another overlooked modelling cash cow?

Operation Pedestal and Malta operations - I'm in and hooked (pardon the bad Naval pun!).

Cheers.. Dave   

• Haha 1