Spitfire - Tintin Land of Black Gold

In the post on Mike's Khemadi Mosquito, I posted a picture of my Khemadi Spitfire. Rather than distract from Mike's topic, I've started this one to post some clearer pictures (The other was just a candid shot at our club display).

This Spitfire was one of a group made from the Airfix Mk I kit for our IPMS display at the Australian Model Expo. It's been modified with 6 stack exhausts from the Eduard kit and the flat early Spitfire canopy from the Airfix Mk I/II boxing. The decals are from Blue Rider which are well printed but a bit thick.

DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
Postimage issues
  • Like 30

That is a great look you've captured there Michael. I've got these same decals & hope to do something similar one day soon. I thought to use a Italeri Mk IX which is slightly short in the nose, so about right for this. To my eye, the book illustration has equal sized radiators a la Mk IX (pg 18 second line), &  an aero vee type air intake, but would still need the flat  canopy. Oh hell, am I rivet counting Tintin aircraft now. :(  best I crack onto it or shut up. :)

Steve.

• Haha 3

On 2/9/2018 at 7:15 PM, stevehnz said:

To my eye, the book illustration has equal sized radiators a la Mk IX (pg 18 second line), &  an aero vee type air intake, but would still need the flat  canopy. Oh hell, am I rivet counting Tintin aircraft now. :(  best I crack onto it or shut up. :)

Steve.

Glad everyone liked the Spitfire. It was a fun build! I'd already finished another build of this kit (which was the 2nd one for me) for the club display in Barclay Scheme so I'd learnt all the tricks with this kit.

Model_Expo_2017_107.jpg

This was inspired by Mike's (Strangeways) build in one of the Airfix Build and Convert series. (Thanks Mike :))

Steve,

You're right, there's no way of making a "perfect" Tintin spitfire. The illustration does seem to show twin radiators under the wing however the props appear to be 3 bladers and all the later Spitfires with twin radiators had cannon armament. One option would be that this is a PR version but it really doesn't look like a Mk X or XI.

In any case I "had" to use the Mk I kit and the flat (though framed) canopy and lack of cannon made the Mk I a reasonable approximation.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
  • Like 3

I absolutely love it. Probably like many here I grew up with Tintin and have always had a soft spot for his interpretations of cars and aircraft. Really great job.

That's inspiring me to do the Mossie from "The Red Sea Sharks".