Harreir T4 Norway camo

modelling minion

2 hours ago, NG899 said:

I'd agree with that James, it's ZB600/Z.

The white would still have been ARTF (Alkaline Removeable Temporary Finish) and would have been applied as roughly on the T4 as that on the GR3s; don't be too neat with it!

The white on ZB600 was probably ARTF.  That on XZ146 was white emulsion - and it did not come off easily...   Not one of the best JO ideas ever...

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

I can confirm it’s ZB600 on that deployment. XW269/06 was used on another deployment in the early 80s

https://www.na3t.org/air/photo/MIL20753

The RAFG schemes are generally not snow schemes (applied in June in many cases ) but exercise markings to identify the bogey or red aircraft.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I can confirm it’s ZB600 on that deployment. XW269/06 was used on another deployment in the early 80s

https://www.na3t.org/air/photo/MIL20753

The RAFG schemes are generally not snow schemes (applied in June in many cases ) but exercise markings to identify the bogey or red aircraft.

Dave that picture is superb, exactly the kind of thing I am looking for and adds another serial number to the list of possibilities.

I had read that the RAFG based a/c were painted that way for exercises in Germany not in Norway and that makes sense when you see that they were painted in June.

On 09/02/2018 at 18:11, 71chally said:

I'm trying to read the image, to me it looks like ZB600.  Checking online it seems this Harrier was with the OCU in the late 1980s as 'Z'.

Just had a look through the BARG magazines for the era. ZB600 arrived back at Wittering following maintenance work at St. Athan on 26/1/88. She was noted on loan to 1 sqn during March 88 so certainly fits the bill. Was hoping they'd have a list of the Harriers that went to Norway as they're usually pretty good with that, but haven't been able to find anything :-(

Al.

• Like 1