Harreir T4 Norway camo

modelling minion

Hi all,

I'm just about to start building a Kinetic Harrier T4 for the Hawker Siddeley GB and want to build it as an aircraft deployed to Norway with the corresponding winter camo. I have found some pictures of 4 Sqn birds with partial winter camo but would really like to an a/c with the full wrap around where the green is replaced by white. I know that some were painted in that way as I have found pictures online which show single seaters nice and clearly and teasingly show just the extended tail portions of a 2 seater, typical!

So if any of you can help with pictures or even supply the codes and sqn number of Harrier T birds in that scheme I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Craig.

I think that is what Craig is trying to avoid, most of the T.4s that appeared in Arctic camo had a partial scheme.

ZB600 R appeared in a similar scheme to the above while with 4 sqn,

http://www.fourfax.co.uk/10/history/white-camouflage

but later got a more comprehensive application of the white areas,

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Hawker-Siddeley-Harrier-T4/964541

If you scroll down this page (courtesy of the excellent Gutersloh Spotters) you will see some T.4 snow schemes, XW927 S in particular looks well painted

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No4SquadronT4

• Like 1

Thanks @71challyJames and @Scimitar for your input and help.

James you are right that I am looking for something with more white on than the picture supplied by Scimitar, the one in your second link is a lot more like it, as is XW927 in your 3rd link. As you say james there was a 233 OCU T4 that deployed with 1Sqn and was in the total wrap around but finding a decent picture of it is not an easy task.

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is exactly what I'm after, if we could find the serial number I might be in with a chance, and a refueling probe!

Well its an OCU harrier that it looks like 1 sqn borrowed for a norway deployment ,see nose badge ,so if you know the year of the picture it might have been recorded somewhere?

Selwyn

• Like 1

I have just found a  video of 1 Sqn deploying to Bardufoss in (I think) 1985 complete with a T4!!

Having a good look at it there is a shot of the tail area which seems to show the serial as XW933 and with the number 12 on the fin (unsure of the colour of the number). having looked up the serial number it seems that XW933 was assigned to 3 Sqn and was lost in a fatal crash with a Luftwaffe F-104 on 18th Feb 1985, which does not give much time for it to have deployed to Norway with 1 sqn, maybe the deployment was in 1984?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I have just found a  video of 1 Sqn deploying to Bardufoss in (I think) 1985 complete with a T4!!

Having a good look at it there is a shot of the tail area which seems to show the serial as XW933 and with the number 12 on the fin (unsure of the colour of the number). having looked up the serial number it seems that XW933 was assigned to 3 Sqn and was lost in a fatal crash with a Luftwaffe F-104 on 18th Feb 1985, which does not give much time for it to have deployed to Norway with 1 sqn, maybe the deployment was in 1984?

Can you post a link Craig  ?

Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

....so if you know the year of the picture it might have been recorded somewhere?

Sorry, should have said 15 Feb 1988.

38 minutes ago, shatters said:

Looks like the aircraft serials and codes have been painted over so you could do an anonymous one from 233 OCU.

The serial is definitely on view, but someone else will have to read it!

Superb video Craig, what a find!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Sorry, should have said 15 Feb 1988.

Superb video Craig, what a find!

Thanks for the date James, wish someone had recorded which a/c went on which deployments as that would make things much easier! 

Agree with you about reading the code on the picture, not a chance! Although it is clearly not painted over, unfortunately.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Ah now I see it, thought it was on the white area, was looking too far forward.

Think it might be ZB600

Phil

Edit : chally beat me too it 

Edited by shatters
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

I'm trying to read the image, to me it looks like ZB600.  Checking online it seems this Harrier was with the OCU in the late 1980s as 'Z'.

Now that is interesting!

Take a gold star for your efforts James and Phil. This one is in a very well applied white finish and might be easier to replicate than the 1 sqn temporary white.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

I think that is what Craig is trying to avoid,

I really will need to stop scan-reading posts..sorry Craig. Twice this month that 71chally has had to sort me out! 

Personally though I think the partial schemes look better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd agree with that James, it's ZB600/Z.

The white would still have been ARTF (Alkaline Removeable Temporary Finish) and would have been applied as roughly on the T4 as that on the GR3s; don't be too neat with it!

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_0186/1279751-large.jpg

On the extended two-seater IFR probe, this will help from the guys restoring XW928... The additional bit is at an angle to the main section. Of course, we got this photo too late to pass on to Kinetic... Doh. The Kinetic IFR probe is, IMHO, a tad thin; the Airfix item is better for scale thickness.

73abd314-4271-46cf-8f5d-f6e54ae3222c.jpe

Cheers

Nick

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I really will need to stop scan-reading posts..sorry Craig. Twice this month that 71chally has had to sort me out! 

Personally though I think the partial schemes look better.

Please don't apologise for trying to help me!

I do like the partial scheme but I just prefer the more complete scheme, at this rate I will need at least 10 of the 2 seaters alone!

• Haha 1