Airfix 1/72 RAF Tiger Moth

Airfix Tiger Moth in 1/72 in the kit scheme colours of No. 10 Elementary Reserve Flying School, RAF Yatesbury, Wiltshire 1940.

Built oob except for scratch built seatbelts (from heavy duty kitchen foil), Albion Alloys 0.3mm brass tube (for the control horns in the tail) and Uschi van der Rosten Fine (0.02mm line).

Paints were airbrushed Italeri RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green along with Humbrol yellow (I think it was 69 - colder compared to RAF Training Yellow) and Mig pigments and washes.

I built this as I wanted to learn how to do rigging which was initially quite frustrating. I had many battles with medium and thin superglue and kicker just to get the lines to stay...so the surfaces around the struts became quite a mess in the end (along with the fuselage where it meets the wing). Despite my drilling out the lower wings and attaching the rigging lines to the upper wing with the intention of feeding the line through the lower wings, I only managed to do this for a couple, the rest were bodged in a pool of superglue.

resized_a961751b-32a5-43d8-a213-4521095f

resized_8c78b84a-2cf1-42bb-9a7b-c20bd2c0

resized_52d40f64-60b9-43ea-9b50-d0490628

However, overall  I'm pleased with the result even if the rigging is overscale and the rigging in front of the cockpit subsequently came undone.

• Like 63

Looks really good. I had the same issue with the fuselage rigging coming undone on mine. The fine rigging looks much more in scale than the ez-line I used, so I think you should have no worries on that score.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:21 AM, neillydone said:

even if the rigging is overscale

No, I think it looks perfectly in scale.

Although I'm a committed 1/72 builder (with a new-tool Tiger Moth in my stash) I have yet to tackle anything with this level of rigging.

Truly, my hat's off to you.  You've done extremely well.

That looks absolutely fine to me.

I need to pluck up my courage and have a go at rigging some day soon. I have rigged biplanes in the past using the old stretched sprue technique but I want to get used to using stretchy elastic type line as it dows look better and is more relient to knocks etc.