S&M Models Canberra BMk2

72modeler

I noticed that the big H is listing the new-tool S&M kit as being in stock. Pretty pricey, at least on this side of the pond, but I love that version and am not yet ready to whack away on my two Airfix original tooling kits to correct its major issues. Has anybody seen this kit or has one and can share their evaluation/observations? (If you're listening on this frequency, John- was is your assessment?) Would be tempted to spend the money if it's that good, or should I wait to see if Airfix finally steps up to the plate and does a new-tool at some point in time?

Mike

My biased opinion only, but the BMk 2 is the most beautiful multi-engine jet bomber ever made!

My personal opinion as a Canberra fan is that the Airfix Canberras are so awful in many regards that I would spend the money and buy the S&M kit, especially if you're only going to build one or two.

The same kit is also about to be released by MikroMir, all be it different variants.

Wilks' excellent build here,

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike

You pays your money and you takes your choice, from what I've seen I wouldn't, but I'd rather work on the Airfix kit using what aftermarket things you can get your hands on, we didn't have a definitive Canberra kit before and we definitely don't now! There is a build going on on my site you may find useful S&M B.2 build IPMS UK Canberra SIG 

Regards

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I can't attest to its accuracy but the kit is not shake and bake.

mine has a lot of flash, though I hear some don't. The instructions are not helpful in some places. I have seen some people having to shim the engine fronts, however mine fitted ok with a bit of work. My cockpit has gone in ok, though have heard it's an issue with other builds. The seats are not great and the pilots one really needs changing unless you put crew in there.

The front upper part on mine which includes the canopy won't fit until I take about 1.5 / 2mm off the forward instrument panel. The nose cone ahead of the main fuselage will have to be shimmed to get everything to line up.

the front wheel well does not fit on mine, and the main ones did not seat into the wing right, which I only found out later. 

overall its ok for a short run kit but not what I was expecting for £40. Would I buy another? No

juliem 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3