RAF P-40s

Bruce Archer

Hi Gents

For the Kittyhawk II's it was Kittyhawk II for the P-40F and Kittyhawk IIa for the P-40L's. No Kittyhawk IIb existed in RAF. I've checked the aircraft cards for the Kittyhawk II's and they are referred to the P-40F as Kittyhawk II and the L's as Kittyhawk IIa. This is also the way the aircraft are referred to by Meekcoms in the book "The British Air Commission and Lend-Lease".

Maybe this is what you were looking for from Hyperscale. http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/P40L/P40L.htm I believe the Author is Hornet133 (waves at Steve).

In regard to the Tomahawk I having only 1 gun per wing, here is a photo of a Tomahawk I taken no later than March 1941 as it was taken from a report on the activities of 234Sqdn during testing Jan 1941-Mar 1941 on the viability of the Tomahawk as a Aircraft for Fighter Command (sorry about the text on the photo but didn't want to see it pasted all over the net for sale). The report clearly states at the time of testing in Jan 1941 the only modifications undertaken on the aircraft were:

(a)    Engine Controls to conform with English Practice

(b)    Sutton Harness

(c)    Instrument dials re-labelled

25h 3

A final note of interest, once the aircraft were sent to Army Co-OP units, one thing that changed was the Armament. The aircraft retained one .30 Cal per wing, the other being replaced with a .303 due to the higher choice of rounds for that type weapon compared to the .30 cal (Ball and APA). This change over was requested in Jul 1941.

Regards

Buz

Edited by Buz

2 hours ago, Buz said:

Hi Gents

For the Kittyhawk II's it was Kittyhawk II for the P-40F and Kittyhawk IIa for the P-40L's. No Kittyhawk IIb existed in RAF. I've checked the aircraft cards for the Kittyhawk II's and they are referred to the P-40F as Kittyhawk II and the L's as Kittyhawk IIa. This is also the way the aircraft are referred to by Meekcoms in the book "The British Air Commission and Lend-Lease".

Maybe this is what you were looking for from Hyperscale. http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/P40L/P40L.htm I believe the Author is Hornet133 (waves at Steve).

That looks like the one!, should have looked there, I knew 3 RAAF were the only op Squadron to use them!

Funny how the mk II had suffixes but the disparate mk III had none, but that was typical (See Typhoon Ib for a comparators!)