Billy Bishop Decals in 1/48?

Duncan B

Hi folks, a friend of mine has caught the modelling bug and wants to build a 1/48 scale Nieuport 17 in the markings of Billy Bishop. Does anyone know of a kit or of after-market decals that are readily available for this?

Thanks folks

Duncan B

The problem with B1566 is that it's almost as problematic as Bishop's victory claims. We know for certain (from photos) that for at least a period this airframe did not carry any C Flight designation code or individual aircraft code, so in other words no C5. However there's no photographic evidence that she was coded C5. Some show B1566 with blue interwing struts and this too is more than likely bunkum and they were normal varnished wood. In fact I've yet to see a photo of any of 60 Sqn's Nieuport 17s with what could be construed as coloured struts.

If your mate wants to do B1566 I'd be inclined to model her without codes, with a blue cowling and with standard coloured struts.

Now don't get anyone started on Bishop's claims!

Edited by Smithy
Spelling
  • Like 1

Here you go, I found these on the internet. The first one is not nearly as good a quality as printed in some books especially Alex Revell's 60 Sqn history but at least it shows B1566 as she actually appeared at one point in time. I'd scan a better photo of the first one but my scanner is on the fritz so apologies for the quality of this image...

1890-4.PNG?type=w800

DH7mlslWAAAf1yp.jpg

• Thanks 1