Buck Rogers Starfighter - 3D Printed

I teased a part of this project in my Eagle Transporter build thread, so although I am a way off finishing that one, and I will not be doing any more on this until that happens, I thought it might be fair to share a bit more.

The actual 3D model of the ship began life as a personal project in 2006, and like most personal projects I kept tweaking it. Then stupidly I decided i would like a 3D print of it, so I spent ages making the model printable, and then spent a fortune getting it printed at approx 1/35 scale, might be more like 1/32 or 54mm (like my eagle transporter - it's not a real thing an I'm not going to get upset about the exact scale). I did post the visual of the ship model on this forum as part of the more general sci-fi/3d thread.

So if you ever wondered what an overdraft looks like keep watching.......

2018-02-08%2012.18.48.jpg?raw=1

• Like 7

Ooooh! :Tasty: I'm a gentlemen that's fond of the old Thunder Fighter, and would like one of those if it ever comes to fruition at a reasonable price-tag (That's the rub with 3D printed gubbins, isn't it?).  Colour me interested ^_^

• Like 1

It is one of the coolest sci-fi fighters, it is a shame the show has not stood the test of time - total 70's cheese!

I have fiddled with the model to suit my tastes, it is not a faithful replica but I have not done anything extreme either - this cockpit tub is the most I have deviated from the original.

DSC_1125.JPG?raw=1

there are some little panels and joysticks need printing, and I didn't print Buck yet, only Wilma. The pilot was posed in daz studio and I made the helmet and harness straps and shoved them all together before printing.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

How's the fit of the pieces? How bad is the surface textures? 

The surface is a bit weird and has a waxy residue which is a pain to get rid of, it was printed at really high resolution and although there is still some visible layers it's quite easy to remove with 600 grit wet/dry in wet mode, then the surface is quite smooth and hard.

The fit of parts is quite good considering I guessed the clearance, this photo is everything pushed together apart from the hull upper and lower which are bolted.

DSC_1124.JPG?raw=1 

• Like 12

Haha 

I was right it was Wilma Deering making a brief appearance in you Eagle build thread ;)

Great work by the way I always loved the design of this ship  so really  looking forward to seeing more progress on this 

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Ooooh! :Tasty: I'm a gentlemen that's fond of the old Thunder Fighter, and would like one of those if it ever comes to fruition at a reasonable price-tag (That's the rub with 3D printed gubbins, isn't it?).  Colour me interested ^_^

You know, I have always called it the Thunder Fighter too, but always get into the Starfighter/Thunder Fighter debate with 'so-called' experts - turns out it is not just me after all......

That looks incredible! Congratulations on doing such a great job.

Out of curiosity, what would the price be? I already have two of the old Monogram kits, but I would be interested in buying the interior and the Wilma figure.

Also, have you thought about doing the four passenger version?

cap030.bmp

ThunderFigher_001.bmp

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2

I cant accurately answer the how much it cost to print question, as it was done over a period of time at different rates depending on how much i had printed at a time - the total bill was much more than it could of, or, should have been. 

If I started again, was more organised and used a more appropriate printing method i would expect the bill to be about £600.

Having said that, the model you see here isn't perfect and has enough wrong with it that i need to revisit chunks of the 3D model to get it just right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 2/8/2018 at 1:46 PM, fsssh said:

You know, I have always called it the Thunder Fighter too, but always get into the Starfighter/Thunder Fighter debate with 'so-called' experts - turns out it is not just me after all......

It's official name is the Thunder. It was a unused design from Star Wars and BSG. It was orginally called the Viper due to it twin lasers looking like fangs. They changed the design for Battlestar but kept the name.

Yeah the price is a high one, way more than I had hoped but once I started it got sort of addictive - I only have 3 kits in my stash though, so you could say that money would have got spent on model making one way or another!

I am trying to get hold of one of the monogram kits as I could adapt my 3D for the pilots and seating tub and get a few sets cast to help fund this project.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:43, Pete in Lincs said:

Wow! Bit pricey for me then.

I'll stick with the Corgi version I have.

I recall that came with a "safety bar" cast across the points to prevent injury...

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, John_W said:

I recall that came with a "safety bar" cast across the points to prevent injury...

I well remember that! This ten year old had the large Corgi version for Christmas (1979 I think, along with a Dinky Eagle Freighter). Absolutely hated the "safety" bar, so borrowed one of my Dad's hacksaws and got rid of it! I can see why it was necessary though, as that Corgi toy became quite dangerous without it! I borrowed my Dad's hacksaw quite a lot as a kid. I remember using it on all of my Mattel Battlestar Galactica ships....couldn't stand the big blocks of plastic with the wheels they added underneath. I suffered from AMS even then!

Loving the Thunder! One of the coolest looking 70's Sci Fi ships out there, and they were all pretty cool back then!

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all and thanks for the likes and comments.

I am going to park this project for a while as I am going away for work and I cant take everything with me. I am more involved in my Eagle Transporter build than this one so that is going to take up space in the container and hopefully get finished.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:29 AM, fsssh said:

I am trying to get hold of one of the monogram kits as I could adapt my 3D for the pilots and seating tub and get a few sets cast to help fund this project.

Put me down for one! You might need to do a new canopy as well, but it'd be worth it.

I'm another fan of the Thunderfighter/EDD Starfighter. A very snazzy-looking fighter, and one which would have made a good match/counterpoint for the original Cylon Raider if it had been chosen as the BSG Viper: they're both very flat designs which would manoeuvre in much the same way -- I could see ThunderVipers :D rolling into attacks the way the Raiders used to, only quicker because of their smaller size. I wasn't aware the design had any connection to Star Wars but given the inevitable crossover between SFX shops, it's no great surprise. I guess the Thunder could be thought of as a precursor to the A-wing...

Anyway, good stuff, and I look forward to seeing more of it -- and, hopefully, the cockpit and pilots!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I'd be interested at some stage. If it's printed via Shapeways, why not put the completed parts up for sale in your shop? That way you can recoup some of your costs and those of us that love your work can indulge ourselves!