Frog Hawker Typhoon.

stevej60

Hi folk's,making up my Hawker trio is the Frog Typhoon,It was cheap and I have spare decal's for it so whatever the kit turns up like(I've never laid

eyes 0n this one) I can live with it,mine's a bagged version from the early seventies so I'll be wearing my striped tank top and flares for this one!

39250517165_5b2edbd72d_o.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Steve,

indeed a good kit to build. With the bagged version, you are delving into archaeology. My kit is far more modestly in a box with a very nice painting on the top. One cannot have it all!

Have a lot of fun with all your oldies!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 17:56, jean said:

With the bagged version, you are delving into archaeology.

How right you are Jean,oh Lord this is pre-historic, to be honest I was going to pull this build I didn't want to sully the Hawker name and seem to be

making light of the GB with it but maybe it's a good reminder of what our modelling ancestor's and even some here on BM had to contend with before

the all singing all dancing kit's we take for granted today arrived.Shape wise it look's like a Typhoon but has no cockpit at all,the u/c doors are closed

with just a hole to pop the u/c into position and the front air intake is empty,so thought's are build on a stand and pop in a pilot,I'm sure my spare

decal's are for a four prop machine so I could use the clear spinning prop from the Tempest.

40261398751_d5df53bb1f_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

I had heard that this kit was a sight to behold, but I did not know it would be that drastic...

In view of such detailed undercarriage bays, an in flight, wheels up model sounds the clever way to go. And as it seems that one of the propeller blades has already left for greener pastures, a see-through, rotating prop just emphasizes the cleverness of the kit builder...

Did you find some half chewed mammoth bones near the kit? That would be helpful, as we could date it using the Carbon 14 method...

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

JR 

• Like 2

Steve:

Right off, I like the idea of retro dressing while retro building....you will have to post a shot of you building in a striped tank top and flares.

Second, no shame in building a retro kit, actually I find them relaxing...just have fun with your build.

Greg in OK

• Like 1

Hi folk's,I haven't done as much sanding and scraping for year's at one stage I was considering a hammer and chisel,thankfully there are very few

panel lines to loose but a "Typhoon" lookalike has come together,I couldn't leave that gaping hole so fashioned something from putty and scrap

plastic.

26425622848_dc2bd9921c_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi folk's one of those rare day's We've just chilled out the Missus catching up on her TV and I spent a couple of of hour's during the day at the table

so a good bit progress with the three build's for this GB,top gray sprayed on and after  glossing I used spare airfix decal's for the D-Day stripes

under the wing's normally I prefer to spray them,tomorrow I'll get the green camo painted and after glossing I can add the fuselage stripes.

25474486727_9d02ca7cce_b.jpg

• Like 5

I think a seat and pilot are a must for this one,I,ll have to look around to see how folk paint these spinning prop's too.

39460995335_bdd7b6abed_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

Great to watch Steve and thanks for giving us a glimpse of Frog's 'top model tips'.  On reflection, these were probably quite an enlightened feature of the instructions and showed us youngsters that it was possible to take modelling a little more seriously.  I still have a chopped off paint brush in my tool kit :).

Cliff

Hi Steve,

I have just taken a break from mopping the water from the leaks after the last storm (51 mm of rain in 45 minutes. Not too shabby, but the thatch roof is 24 years old, so...) and I saw what you did to your Frog new tooling.

You have just worked wonders with it, and the result is jut smashing! OK, you started the build with the nec plus ultra in terms of plastic, but still, you should be proud of yourself!

Congrats, Sir!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Steve,

I have just taken a break from mopping the water from the leaks after the last storm (51 mm of rain in 45 minutes. Not too shabby, but the thatch roof is 24 years old, so...) and I saw what you did to your Frog new tooling.

You have just worked wonders with it, and the result is jut smashing! OK, you started the build with the nec plus ultra in terms of plastic, but still, you should be proud of yourself!

Congrats, Sir!

JR

Hello Jean,hope you've dried out! I tried to have a break from these Frog build's but found myself back to the Typhoon today,I can't get a decent

look to the spinning prop so luckily managed to repair the kit's prop so I can use both,got the rocket's fitted giving it a paticularly  "mean" look.

Similar comments to the Frog Tempest Steve, good to see quick old school builds come alive in this day and age.

Will look quite nice parked next to its Airframe refined brother! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi folk's,almost as far as I can go with this one, a matt coat and paint/fit the canopynext there was no point with the basic nature of the kit other than

to go for a clean finish as you see her I had a four blade prop in the spare;s box but will try and paint the spinning prop for a photo.

26631459898_a5b5d21fc8_b.jpg

• Like 7