B-25C-J Mitchell

72modeler

While waiting for my two new-tool Airfix Mitchells to arrive, I'm watching  Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo for inspiration; I found the link attached below  while gathering reference material. As the  bomb-aimer, cockpit, and navigator station photos/diagrams are pretty rare for the early versions, I thought you might find this link useful. Note: the landing light assembly on the LH wing of a B-25 has two lights- one is the landing light, and there is another smaller light outboard of it that is called a passing light. IIRC the light was red and it  was fitted to many  USAAF aircraft and was used for right of way when two aircraft were approaching head-on. Nice little detail to add to your model! (I bet I've watched the movie 50 times and just now noticed the passing light!)

Mike

https://books.google.com/books?id=v5gFCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT35&lpg=PT35&dq=B-25+Mitchell+passing+light&source=bl&ots=b5DyJwTjOE&sig=tjSVfyDQUga9EstwMLIzd3U2Qnk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilperE3pTZAhVi4oMKHYjhD88Q6AEIQjAG#v=onepage&q=B-25 Mitchell passing light&f=false

Edited by 72modeler
added additional information
  • Like 1

I always liked the fact they used a couple of pieces of simple angle iron cut at specific lengths to replace the nordens on the doolittle raid. Ive even read it was supposedly more accurate as well. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I always liked the fact they used a couple of pieces of simple angle iron cut at specific lengths to replace the nordens on the doolittle raid. Ive even read it was supposedly more accurate as well. 

I've seen a replica, and it is a very, simple device, and said to be very accurate at the altitudes flown during the raid. BTW, one of the forward fuselage sections used during the making of Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo is on display at the TN Museum of Aviation at Sevierville, TN. It has complete fittings and instrumentation and hinged panels that can be opened so the camera could film the actors in action at all of the crew stations.

Mike

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dalea said:

Sigh! Now there is a new B-25C/D in town, everybody wants to build it as a B. Quickboost 71 112 is no longer available. 

Unless you need the engines from the Quickboost set, IIRC the Airfix kit already  comes with the smooth cowlings as well as the later ones with the Clayton 'S' multiple exhaust stacks, so they could be used for a B. Don't have the kit in my hands, yet, so don't recall if it also comes with the single exhaust stacks; IIRC the LH one is longer than the RH one on a B-25B. There are also several other differences between the B-25B and the C/D, and I think there was a lot of discussion on this subject, so search for other topic discussions. Off the top of my head, the carburetor airscoops on top of the cowlings on the B's were narrower and had a smaller opening than the later variants. (The C/D's had a larger intake due to the fact that integral dust filters were incorporated as well as different carburetors.) I have attached a couple of links to the 1/48 kit so you can see other details, if you're wanting to do a B. At some point, one of the two I have on the way is going to be done as Ted Lawson's Doolittle Raid  'Ruptured Duck,' so I will be pulling all of my notes and references on B-25B's and the modifications made to the Mitchells involved in the attack. The third link is from the Tokyo Raiders website and lists all of the changes made to the B-25B's used in the attack. I hope you and others will find the information useful BTW, Richard Cole, the co-pilot on Doolittle's airplane, is the only surviving member of the raid; he lives not far from where I am and I have had the honor and pleasure to have sat down and talked with him on a couple of occasions, as he used to come to our IPMS chapter annual contest to meet the public and sign autographs. A true gentleman and a class act. He will be 102 this year. I have also posted  a link to an article about him that appeared in our local paper last year.

Mike

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/features/b25b48ms_1.htm

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/grenb25.htm

http://www.doolittleraider.com/first_joint_action.htm

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/At-101-he-s-the-last-Raider-11079074.php

• Like 3

Thanks for posting 72modeler. I've got one on the way, too. so can't comment on the extra cowlings. If they are included it'll be a bonus. My remarks were intended for those who think they can 'sand the bumps off the cowlings' and have a Dolittle raider. I'm quite attracted to the A/S scheme for my first. I can wait for the later 2 Group boxing.

45 minutes ago, dalea said:

Thanks for posting 72modeler. I've got one on the way, too. so can't comment on the extra cowlings. If they are included it'll be a bonus. My remarks were intended for those who think they can 'sand the bumps off the cowlings' and have a Dolittle raider. I'm quite attracted to the A/S scheme for my first. I can wait for the later 2 Group boxing.

I almost forgot! If you or anyone else wants to do a Doolittle Raid Mitchell, DK decals did a 1/72 sheet that had the serials for all sixteen airplanes as well as nose art for the ones that could be confirmed. Stock number was 72-006. I have no idea if it is still available, but wanted to make people aware of it.

Mike

2 hours ago, dalea said:

Thanks for posting 72modeler. I've got one on the way, too. so can't comment on the extra cowlings. If they are included it'll be a bonus. 

They are, but I don't see the extended exhaust pipe/heat exchanger for the left engine.

Regards,

Murph

12 hours ago, Murph said:

They are, but I don't see the extended exhaust pipe/heat exchanger for the left engine.

Regards,

Murph

Not surprising, since I don't think the C and D used the same exhaust  as the B. If Airfix doesn't do a B, which I don't see them doing, maybe one of the aftermarket outfits will offer a B-25B conversion. I know there was a 1/48 conversion set that gave all the parts necessary to do a Doolittle raider, but I don't recall who it was or if it still available; IIRC it came out shortly after the Accurate Miniatures kit was released.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
removed words for clarity

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not surprising, since I don't think the C and D didn't use the same exhaust  as the B. If Airfix doesn't do a B, which I don't see them doing, maybe one of the aftermarket outfits will offer a B-25B conversion. 

I think they will do a B, I can't think of any other reason to include the smooth cowls, the non-bulged windows for the navigator, and the .30 cal flexible gun for the nose.  The Doolittle Raiders are one of those subjects that it's almost mandatory to cover due to sales.

Regards,

Murph

5 minutes ago, Murph said:

I think they will do a B, I can't think of any other reason to include the smooth cowls, the non-bulged windows for the navigator, and the .30 cal flexible gun for the nose.  The Doolittle Raiders are one of those subjects that it's almost mandatory to cover due to sales.

Regards,

Murph

That is one of the unwritten Laws of Modeling- "A new-tool kit will be released immediately after a conversion is finished." Years ago my best buddy and modeling mentor built a killer PV-1 Ventura from one of the old Frog test shots, with a lot of corrections, cross-kitting, and scratchbuilt interior...the Academy kit of the same was released shortly thereafter! He also has been working on crosskitting an Italeri B-25D and Hasegawa B-25J to make a Doolittle Raider for a couple of years....need I say more? (I did thank him for causing the new-tool Airfix kit to be released! Now, if I can just convince him to start on a Hampden or Sea Vixen!)

Mike