Bf-109e white 13, Heinz Bar, 1./JG 51

David Mooney

Hello, I wonder if someone could help me as I have spotted an issue with trumpeters paint instructions. 

On their paint call outs they have marked the splinter camo as RLM02 (correct) and light blue (most certain not correct). I'd take a guess it's either ment to be RLM70 or RLM71. I wonder if someone could let me know which is the correct colour to replace the light blue.

Many thanks 

Hello @David Mooney ... Yes you're correct that the color listing is incorrect. It should be RLM02/RLM70 over RLM 65 not sure if there is a mottle pattern on this aircraft ? If so it would usually be a mix of the two upper colors 02/70 sprayed over the 65 light blue.

The RLM 02 replaced the RLM 71 in the pattern at some point. Others may know the exact timeframe and reasons. I believe it probably had to do with differences in Foliage in the low countries and over Britain. Compared to darker Foliage in germany and Poland. I hope this helps you.

Dennis

31 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The RLM 02 replaced the RLM 71 in the pattern at some point.

RLM 70 is Schwarz Grun (Black green),  RLM 71is Dunkel grun (dark green)  which were the two upper colours  prewar (and the bomber scheme during the war)  the darker RLM 70 was replaced with RLM 02 Grau.

I don't know what scheme the Trumpeter kit is intending to represent.....hmm, googling

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/kits/trumpeter02288reviewbg_1.htm

Regarding White 13,  I'm not turning up photos of it later on,   there are pics showing the low demarcation 70/71 scheme

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E1-1.JG51-White-13-H

this is what it most likley looked like when repainted 71/02,   being White 14

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E1-1.JG51-White-14-f

this is the Trumpeter guide

trumpeter02288review_12.jpg

the yellow nose and tail  were common quick identfiers added during the BoB.

more here  of  I/JG51

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG51.I.html

this image of Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 Walter Blume 7./JG26 August 1940

52cffe6b94751ca9d4c15a1c3ee39915.jpg

is pretty much what White 13 above looks like in colour,  in this case note yellow tips on wing AND tailplanes

@tango98  would be a good chap for more info on this.

HTH

T

53 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I guess my info was incorrect I had thought it was 70/02 over 65. My apologies for that. 

Hi Dennis,

apolgies if I  sounded abrupt,   sometimes I concentrating on finding relevant info niceties get forgotten.

70 and 02 were used as additions to fuselage mottle later on,  so perhaps that is what you were thinking of? ,  EDIT and see the PS at bottom.

and it's easy to get all those blinkin' RLM numbers mixed up without names

(unless you were a teenage luftwaffe nut who committed this guff to memory back then  :rolleyes:  trust me, it wasn't cool thing to do )

This famous shot show on the fuselage the 76 base coat,  with the 74/75 greys as seen on the wings,  but by the dangling wire there is the yellower 02 (also on inside of cowl and engine bearer)  and below that some 70 (the prop blades are 70)

1.jg52_wh10.3.jpg

pic  from

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/color/color_ostfront.htm

which reminds me,  this is Dave Wadman aka  @tango98   article on Bf109 camo in 39/40

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/camo/bob/bob_camo.htm

well worth a read, as it  discusses the many variations,  the possible why's,   and how this information has been collected and collated,  in many cases from British crash reports and photos,  and later examination of surving wreckage.

It's old,  dated 2002,  and more information has come to light to fill in details  (eg the incredible amount of private photos which have been auctioned on ebay Germany for one)

but does provide an excellent primer on the subject nonetheless.

cheers

T

PS

On some aircraft the 02 replaced the Dark-Green 71 rather than the Black-Green 70 as directed, while on many others, only the smaller areas of tail and fuselage sides were repainted in Blue 65 thus leaving the tops of the wings and fuselage uppersurfaces in the earlier greens. That this occurred is evident from photographs and the contents of intelligence summaries, which indicates that a number of Bf 109s in a variety of these finishes survived well into the early autumn of 1940 and beyond

• Like 1