Monogram typhoon

Lawzer

HI Ian

don't know what markings your planning on,  this maybe worth a read

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/04-Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon

Monogram decals are often  pants,  there is a mask  set for the sharkmouth plane though.

Tempest tailplanes jut out over the reinforcing plates on the fuselage,  I think the  Mono kit has the standard ones. (If I start pulling out kits I'll be here all day, and I need to 'run'  the  daughter while it's still sunny) 

here's a link @Etiennedup  colour Typhoon pics

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=typhoon

HTH

T

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

HI Ian

don't know what markings your planning on,  this maybe worth a read

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/04-Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon

Monogram decals are often  pants,  there is a mask  set for the sharkmouth plane though.

Tempest tailplanes jut out over the reinforcing plates on the fuselage,  I think the  Mono kit has the standard ones. (If I start pulling out kits I'll be here all day, and I need to 'run'  the  daughter while it's still sunny) 

here's a link @Etiennedup  colour Typhoon pics

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=typhoon

HTH

T

I think you're right on the Monogram tailplanes and that the first mainstream 1/48 kit of the Typhoon to have the Tempest tailplanes was the sharkmouth boxing of the Hasegawa kit.

• Like 2

Thanks for that @Troy Smith

Going to do it as MR N of 245 squadron.  I have the airfix 1/24 which I intend (SOME DAY!!!!!...) to do as MR U (the sharkmouth).

From what I've seen the monorgram decals seem accurate (and in good nick!).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Thanks for that @Troy Smith

Going to do it as MR N of 245 squadron.  I have the airfix 1/24 which I intend (SOME DAY!!!!!...) to do as MR U (the sharkmouth).

From what I've seen the monorgram decals seem accurate (and in good nick!).

Hmm,  IIRC the chequer tailband is a post war addition,  a few  bits of colour trim sprung up on 2nd TAF  Tiffies post war,  

If so the upperwing roundels should be the C or even C1 type

see for details on the markings

from

avi_32003_p.jpg

THE chap for Typhoon info is @Chris Thomas  who'd  be  able  to give the full run down,  note he get's a credit on the above decals

you could it in late 44 2nd TAF markings using the kit decals,  underfuselage stripes, sky band and markings as supplied in kit.

CL449-595x407.jpg

But, it is of course your model.....

HTH

• Like 3

hhmmmm you could be right (re the checkerboard).

Also see from that last pic the exhausts do not have the backplate (for lack of a technical term ;) ). some heavy duty sanding to remove those me thinks.

I may very well do it as per the last picture.  Only question would be the colour of the spinner.  I hope it's not sky as I have the hasegawa typhoon (china british) with sky band and spinner and this would look very similar to that......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Also see from that last pic the exhausts do not have the backplate

some do, some don't.

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

I may very well do it as per the last picture.  Only question would be the colour of the spinner.  I hope it's not sky as I have the hasegawa typhoon (china british) with sky band and spinner and this would look very similar to that......

probably sky

you want to be looking at a early 45 scheme then.

dinner needs serving now, more later

• Like 2

Hi Ian

if the decals are like  the box,  and say 1990,  they are unfortunately junk,  the  code letters are pale grey,  and should be Sky...

I have older Mongram boxings,  but can't remember much about the decals.  I'll have a look next time, and see if any maybe usable

A quick look at Hannants shows the only bubble top/4 blade sheet really to be this

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOD48008

which you probably don't want to stump up for

Ultracast list most of the OOP Aeromaster sheets

http://www.ultracast.ca/Aircraft Decals - 48 Scale - Typhoon.htm

which maybe useful for a bit of  reference or  for what's about.  

Again,  I suggest asking in the wanted section as someone has leftovers... 

• Like 2

No backplates now :)

i have the other decals from the hasegawa kit but it's a 3 bladed prop machine.

i suppose i can still paint at as whatever option i go for it'll still be the same scheme...

Just had a look at the list on ultracast site.  Jeez what a minefield!  As you say all the sheets are OOP so EVEN if I'm able to find any it seems there's not much choice for a 4 blade rocket carrying typhoon......

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2

Sorry I'm a bit late with this info but it may be of interest.  

First, MR-N SW409 was usually flown by Flt Lt Arthur 'Buzz' Leighton-Porter at the end of his second tour of Typhoon operations.  The markings depicted in the kit are very definitely post war, but he did fly it on ops in the last 6 weeks of the war.  Black spinner, C1 roundels in all positions, Sky band painted out in camo colours; serial number would have been black not in white/grey as post post war.

It would be hard to find a 4-blader with exhaust fairings as in the kit because the fairings went out of use as the 4-blade prop came in (spring 44). With a 4-blade prop it was certain to have had a 'Tempest' tailplane, which was significantly larger than the original Typhoon type.

As noted above, landing light plated over.  SW409 was fitted with the later (aluminium) RP rails (MkIII) not the earlier type as in the kit.  The RP in the kit are mounted with the fins vertical; they should be at 45 degrees.

You could do an earlier MR-N, MN770, which was in use in Normandy. 4-blader but with the early RP rails, it would have had a black spinner, D-Day stripes below the fuselage and below the wings, Sky band. Roundels C1 fuselage, C under wings, B above wings, yellow LE stripe starting at the outboard edge of the inner cannon.

CT

PS. Arthur was married to Christabelle, the model for 'Just Jane'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much to @Chris Thomas , @Troy Smith And eveyone else who's given advice on this.

it would almost be easier to redo the spinner as a 3 blade prop but i'm not brave enough to do that.

i'm away for a week with work so while i'm on the "team building exercise" (😆) i'll have time to think what i'm going to do.

the hasegawa kit i did for some reason didn't keep the bombs/hard points so this might very well end up being not accurate but hey ho....👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Thanks very much to @Chris Thomas , @Troy Smith And eveyone else who's given advice on this.

it would almost be easier to redo the spinner as a 3 blade prop but i'm not brave enough to do that.

i'm away for a week with work so while i'm on the "team building exercise" (😆) i'll have time to think what i'm going to do.

the hasegawa kit i did for some reason didn't keep the bombs/hard points so this might very well end up being not accurate but hey ho....👍

Hope you have fun in Eindhoven - I know a great McDonalds there ;)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hope you have fun in Eindhoven - I know a great McDonalds there ;)

I have a feeling that's where i'm being taken for supper tomorrow 😄

• Haha 1

Ended up being burger king 😆

So after some great advice this will be on hold till i get some decals, racks and bombs and fill in the holes for the rocket rails.

can't even prime it as it seems my chosen aircraft may still have had one of the landing lights....so will need to clarify that then try and remove the landing light cover....

Sommuch for a kit with only a handful of parts being a quick build 🙄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So after nearly 7 weeks it has some paint....

DSC_5593

DSC_5609

I'm still undecided on the sky band / invasion stripe though.....

I thought I'd give free hand cammo painting a go....hhmmmm....

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

That looks pretty good. Is that a Hellcat?

Yeah - the old otaki kit.....with a fair bit of airbrush splatter up the side :D

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 8:08 PM, Lawzer said:

OK so it *might* be a bit off center and only one of the TINY parts flew off into oblivion but I've made a start!

DSC_5571

instructions said to "build up with superglue (fingers stuck - yes indeed. several times) or plastic rod.  not sure if any of it will actually be seen but it's added rigidity to the thing.

So, can I use normal primer (halfords rattle can) on this?

Realise I am very late on this - but in case it's still of interest :  for very light layers of rattle can primer I really recommend Citadel primer cans. They come out of the can lightly and with a lot of puff  - so a few quick passes from about 30cms does a nice dusting of paint for later colours to hold on to. 

They also come in a variety of base colours, greys, black, and a few varieties of green / blue depending what you want to put down on top of them. You can sort of get an idea of the effect in the last image on this post : 

Where I ran the can in one pass along the nacelles and wing joins. 

Best,

Bruce

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lawzer said:

So after nearly 7 weeks it has some paint....

DSC_5593

DSC_5609

I'm still undecided on the sky band / invasion stripe though.....

I thought I'd give free hand cammo painting a go....hhmmmm....

really great painting mate - looking brilliant :clap2:

• Like 1

Thanks steve!

as you can see i did a LOT of pre-shading but sadly none of it has show through even though i thinned the paint to what i thought was thin enough but alas no.  The underside is even more "factory fresh" looking....

i still don't know about the sky band.  The decal sheet *to me* looked like the band was painted over by the invasion stripe but i really don't know now.  I'd committed to doing it then a few people posted on the topic i'd created about it.  Some for, some against.

be it right or wrong i think i may leave it as there's no way i'll be able to mask with accuracy to paint the full sky band....fat fingers 😁

A little touch up on the leading edge yellow stripes and then i'll make a decision tomorrow.

if it all goes wrong i have another to build 😊

• Like 1

So calling this done.

didn't turn out as well as i'd hoped but in a way i'm glad it's finished..

DSC_5611

DSC_5612

DSC_5614

and next to the first kit i did after a few decades break...

DSC_5613

• Like 4

Well it looks really good to me - they both do :clap2:

I like the yellow leading edges too - did I miss how you did that - masking tape in the end???

So what's next - you still have 7 weeks to kill before the GB starts - how about some German trucks for these bad boys to shoot up??? 

plastic-soldier-2v20020-1-72-german-medi

...you get 3 in a box and you can make 3 different types - they would make fantastic 'targets' ;)

• Haha 1

...you can't beat a good 'toy truck' - I  think I will make some at some point - as 'roadside damaged wrecks' - could be fun...