Apollo 10 (the other end of the mission)

Looks like I’ll be doing an accidental companion build to @Enzo Matrix‘s Saturn V with my focus being on the splashdown/recovery. Old 66 Sea King & the module

I’m armed with Airfix HAR 3 Sea King to be guddled about with as per the excellent Tailhook resource 

25250493737_01c8deddd0_b.jpg

and have been playing with tinkercad to get a splashdown module which I’m currently planning to 3D print at my local library

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 10.57.08

• Like 6

Looks like a great idea.

How the world turns, somewhere in the bottom of my stash is the original Airfix boxing of 'Seaking 66' which I was half way to converting into an RN  HAS1 when I went to Uni and never finished it.

I like the sound of 3d printing the command module so watching with interest

Colin

Cool to see this! Far out you have patience if you can finish that Airfix Sea King though. I ditched mine, I have to admit, as it was pretty rough around the edges. instead I recently bought the Sweet 1/144 Sea King which comes with 66 markings. Looking forward to your build and especially the 3D printed module. Cool idea!

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

An interesting build. If your 3-D printing doesn't work out I have a paper pattern somewhere!

Wait, 3D printing at the local library ?? I don't think South London libraries run to that...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks, I think you previously gave me a link to a paper pattern and I’ve got that saved for transferring to styrene sheet as my fallback. 

The 3D printers are at https://theworduk.org/explore/fablab/ - big new library hub built as part of the efforts to regenerate this corner of Tyneside

Edited by LostCosmonauts

Time for my (no patent applied for) Sea King mounting method.

2 small rare earth magnets

25425694247_89bfd47390_b.jpg

A couple of holes to fit cut in the blanking plate where the sonar would normally go and then embedded in some epoxy putty 

40297016461_6528f860a4_b.jpg

And then a really thin bit of styrene sheet covering the magnets and refacing the blanking plate

25425694087_b02209caaa_b.jpg

That should grab nicely to a steel washer glued to the top of an acrylic rod. Easily removable for separate display or moving

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Colin W said:

How will you spin the rotors?

I'll just leave them free spinning and hope a firm breeze helps with verisimillitude. The trick worked nicely on a build last year - this is just a bit of a refinement 

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Nice trick - Don't forget to recalibrate the navigation instruments though, or they may never find their way back to the ship...

Odd, no matter which way we turn it still seems we're heading south  

• Haha 1

Steady progress in removing the Westland lumps and bumps and adding in the 60s equivalents

26504520638_5d223fae73_b.jpg

I decided to have the door closed - I rejigged the interior to the Apollo configuration and it was a bit spartan. Crew were stolen from an Airfix kit and given a bit of cosmetic rework

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

How are you getting on with this?

We're not far off the half-way point in the GB

Otherwise occupied building a new shed/gym in the back garden. Oodles of time left (I hope)

Foundations in 1:1 scale 

39850420915_ea9bbc3c36_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

Hmmm...similar project for me sometime this year, Unfortunately I don't have any access to the rear garden so a fair bit of head scratching going on at the mo! May have to do a 1:1 shed scratch build!!

@MarkSH All in 8’x4’ sterling board and lengths of timber so passing through the house with an intermediate workshop in the dining room. The rebar and concrete for the base go in tomorrow so that will have to come round the side. You could get it craned over your roof?

Meanwhile to allay folks fears I’ve done some more tidying of the model and started flinging paint around and scratching bits

40916444981_da76a80fce_b.jpg

Some day I’ll find a white matt that sprays nicely and has good opacity  

• Like 5

Having laid 10T of concrete

Exhibit A

40960303441_f649519761_b.jpg

While that sets properly and I take it easy for a couple of days to steel myself for the rest of the build that gives me time to go to the model shop and muck around with plastic

Exhibit B

40960304221_d886a10f5b_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 7

Since I have the saw out I made a start on a base

Strip pine, a 30cm square of plywood and a bit of pre-mixed general purpose filler results in:

40141683805_191bfde7ce_b.jpg

The paper capsule is about 60% oversize for now:

26164270107_cb1a403ea4_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Good luck with sea - that's something I always struggle with :popcorn:

Cliff

I was thinking of just copying what I did with my previous Sea King. I put down a base colour then built up a few layers gradually diluting the colour with varnish so that the surface has a bit of depth and it isn't just opaque immediately. It worked ok (to my eyes) but f you've had other ideas or things that have worked then I'm all ears

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I was thinking of just copying what I did with my previous Sea King. I put down a base colour then built up a few layers gradually diluting the colour with varnish so that the surface has a bit of depth and it isn't just opaque immediately. It worked ok (to my eyes) but f you've had other ideas or things that have worked then I'm all ears

Unfortunately I've got no solution to the problem!  My last attempt used acrylic gel (which came highly recommended, but didn't work for me) and I'm just having a go with plasticine.

The base in your last Sea King build looks very effective - particularly the downwash :thumbsup:

Cliff

• Thanks 1

Visting family & with some styrene sheet and time to kill I decided to rough a 1st draft module up

39351542280_c25954d416_b.jpg

A bit more work and some milliput gives something headed in the appropriate direction

40449339964_0ee802bc3e_b.jpg

I might finish this off in styrene and do a compare and contrast with the intended 3d print

• Like 2

Roughing together still going. Flinging some paint around to see how these are coming together

41230589761_c14253f3d8_b.jpg

Over in Real Space discussion @GordonD & @Eric Mc helped out with the info that Apollo 10 landed and stayed right side up so the top floatation bags didn’t deploy. Accordingly I’ve cobbled together another capsule without float collar and no inflated bags to depict the scene just as old 66 arrives and before divers go into the water 

• Like 2