Typhoon mk1b, 1/48

Hewy

Im in, 

I'll have a bash at the italeri/ex hasegawa,  1/48 typhoon mk1b, i have an  aries resin cockpit set and some eduard paint masks already that i got quite a while ago for it, i'll have a look to see if any other  extra bits and bobs will help, if anyone thinks of anything let me know, wheels down cockpit open, rockets on, chocks away

Glynn,

for some reason imjur is acting the goat and not uploading anymore photos, more later

PSDYSs8.jpg

• Like 7

I’ve got this kit in the stash so I will be interested to see this one in progress Glynn. From reading reviews when I got mine I discovered there are some fit issues around the upper fuselage area you ought to be aware of, if you are not already, before you start. Brett Green's review on Hyperscale gives some ideas of the problem. Not insurmountable just something to be aware of.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Col. said:

Welcome to the GB Glynn. That box-art is certainly action-packed!

Gotta love the tiffie col, it'll be a terribly weather beaten example, invasion stripes, and i might get paint masks for the roundels and markings, although the decals are by cartograph, we'll see, the box art does grab your attention  though i agree, a bit old school isn't it 

49 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I’ve got this kit in the stash so I will be interested to see this one in progress Glynn. From reading reviews when I got mine I discovered there are some fit issues around the upper fuselage area you ought to be aware of, if you are not already, before you start. Brett Green's review on Hyperscale gives some ideas of the problem. Not insurmountable just something to be aware of.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Yes stix i do remember  reading something along those lines when i bought the kit a while back, i shall refresh my memory, now you've refreshed mine of course, cheers stix 

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice choice 👍... thats funny I just used imgur an hour ago to update my 10th anniverssry grp. Build. No problems for me ?

It may have been my internet connection playjng the fool dennis, it loaded half a dozen photos ok, then one from this thread, then just packed up, i tend to switch between imjur and Flickr, neither without their quirks, they'll  it'll  get over it they it usually do  does :P

Glynn 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a little time to make a start on the typhoon, and I've decided not to use the aires resin cockpit set, mainly due to wanting to finish the model with the canopy closed, some aircraft just look much better that way and i think the tiffie is one of them, needles to say not a lot at all will be seen this way, although i do have the eduard zoom set too and I'll be using that instead, also ive got the brengun air itake grills, I've fitted the cockpit inserts that hasegawa used to create the bubble top and car door variants, some minor fit issues were avoided by using mek solvent and gluing each part gradually over a 2 day period, thus avoiding any filler, a little rescribe, black ink to check,  and i think all is good,  also got the wings together and sanded the seams, onto the kits cockpit next. 

The cockpit resin this will return to the stash, canopy mask set I'll use

aDrVubD.jpg

The eduard zoom cockpit etch set and the air intake grill 

BRdwf2N.jpg

The fuselage sides after the inserts fitted and a splash of ink to check my rescribe

n6XzuOR.jpg

The wings together, I've read somewhere that most, not all mk1bs  had they're wing lights filled over, can any one add to this

X3Bw6kR.jpg

Cheers 

Glynn 

• Like 5

Nice work so far Glynn and I'm sure you've saved yourself a lot of work by not fitting the Aires 'pit. I think the wing lights were faired over on rocket equpied aircraft as there was a likelyhood the clear cover would be damaged when the rockets were fired.

• Thanks 1

Another well made Hasegawa kit and when assembled, really captures the real business like stance of this D-Day master blaster. Your rescribing and work so far points to a great build and (another) GB build to watch.

I think Col’s Landing Light answer is correct. As always try to find photographic evidence if you can and thanks to Chris Thomas, there’s plenty of excellent references out there. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Some progress to report, 

Eduard etch, like i said earlier the resin cockpit set is back in the drawer due to the canopy being closed on this, 

May have made an error here, i think the frame work should have been black? 

I made the seat pad from milliput. 

WNKvEsz.jpg

Ge4z0jL.jpg

zmwwB3G.jpg

Fuselage together,  well known gap at the front and rear of the cockpit is evident here, 

IoxZUjf.jpg

Gaps filled with plasticard and wings fitted, nothing else ill fitting to report

Zr8bzMX.jpg

Wing lights fitted and smoothed, to be painted over

c4tQglM.jpg

The limited pictures i have access to and photos I've found on the internet show no light behind the pilots seat and some form of panel, so I've attempted to replicate this, also canopy masked and fitted, and a canopy runner from the spare pe box, 

WwgFOWM.jpg

Exausts drilled out both sides

ZiCmGcD.jpg

gwxSMii.jpg

stripes!  This is where I'm at currently, I'm going to do the camo today

ttnH0Bv.jpg

i23vNrc.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Glynn 

• Like 7

Absolutely superb progress Glynn. The cockpit looks excellent! And good work on sorting out the gap - you'd never guess there was one! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Absolutely superb progress Glynn. The cockpit looks excellent! And good work on sorting out the gap - you'd never guess there was one! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Ta mate, I've got most of the camo done, plenty of time with being off work this week and not being able to go over my allottment, the undersides are painted too, not a happy chap, i really dont like those cannon shrouds, I've  knocked  the two outside ones off twice:think:

Cheers

Glynn 

g5k2olJ.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks mark, it's moved at quite a pace this last two  and a half days, and the main painting is now complete, just the rockets, rails, and undercarriage to do. I'm going to let the paint harden off overnight and gloss and decals next

Cheers, Glynn

SY9Nlkv.jpg

6dQUc8F.jpg

bQQiUih.jpg

rdUDLDW.jpg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

You are making great strides of progress with this one :speak_cool: Nice paintwork.

Cheers col, too cold for me to work, so I've been full on modelling this week:penguin:

• Like 1

Glossed and decaled, and the panel lines have been washed, i'll give it another light gloss coat to seal the decals in and then some weathering, and bits and bobs to go on

czthFDd.jpg

rzo5dtL.jpg

gq9mFXx.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Glynn, and very quick too!

Looks exactly like a well used Typhoon should.

20 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Fantastic work that I only discover when nearly finished!

Thanks craig, thanks werner, its been swift due to me having the week off work due to the cold, so I've had a modelling blow out, most enjoyable too

Glynn 

• Like 1