Airfix Sea Fury 1/48

Dave_R

Hi All,

Yes, it's another Sea Fury and I suspect it won't be the last one.

26244525988_3cc9d5e46e_b.jpg

28337711729_4a01cc9259_b.jpg

39406777124_60b701e2f1_b.jpg

28337714939_a9b4cfc56a_b.jpg

39406774074_ae4690080b_b.jpg

First impressions are good, but as others have noticed the gunsight is missing.  It's fairly chunky thing, so I've ordered a set of Quickboost resin ones. 

The other thing that may or not be problematic is having the wings in two pieces where the wing folds - not ideal if you want the wings open.

Dave.

• Like 8

Always good to see another Sea Fury getting some attention :thumbsup: At one point I thought the Hurricane would be the most popular subject but it seems the Sea Fury currently holds that title. Welcome to the GB Dave.

Dave,

In the top picture there looks like a piece is missing from the leading top edge of the vertical fin on the right hand fuselage half. Am I correct ??

Dick

10 minutes ago, jenko said:

Dave,

In the top picture there looks like a piece is missing from the leading top edge of the vertical fin on the right hand fuselage half. Am I correct ??

Dick

Hi Dick,

Yes there is a moulding defect on the fin.  But it's not going to to be problem to fill that in.

Dave.

• Like 1

Interesting. It's as if a section of the raised ridge on the mould acted as a dam.  My new Airfix Phantom had a short-shot which took a sliver out of the trailing edge of one of the tailplanes.  I suppose all-in-all I'd prefer not to have to make good that kind of defect as it's a bit of a distraction, but it won't stop me from buying the Sea Fury.  I've already planned how to fix it in my mind even though I haven't got the kit yet.

I like the instrument panel, it looks great, but you're right, you don't much of the inside of the cockpit at all when closed up and being black doesn't help at all.

Just looking over the sprue pictures, I wish mine had folding wing option built in like those, I see you get RATO pods too, nice! A nice election of stores as well, just be careful of what you select. The bigger tanks were less commonly used operationally, more from what I read as ferry tanks. Weight was the issue with Sea Fury carrier operations in Korean, so they used the smaller tank and often only 4 rather than 6 rockets or a pair of bombs. Do you get the option to fit the single mount rockets as I can't see them there or do you just "modify" the doubles? Also when fitted with with a single rocket there was a brace fitted between the two small mounting pylons, for the double mount (as supplied by the looks of it), it had this brace removed. I haven't been able to find out why. Sorry I'm sounding like a rivet counter now....... :wall:

But gosh it's a nice looking model, will be following with interest. 

Hi Rich,

There's no single rocket option and no mention in the instructions about modifying the doubles - but I've already decided to go with the bombs.  I'd guessed that the smaller tanks were the more likely option, Korea is quite small country so range wouldn't be an issue.

From what I've seen the RATO packs were only used if the catapult was out of action and were not very safe because if one of them failed you might not reach take off speed or the asymmetric thrust would send the plane off the side of the carrier.

I'd be interested to hear what you've found out about the colour of the undercarriage and doors as I haven't come to a conclusion about that yet.

Dave.

Ok I just found this little interesting bit about carrier operations. 

Most planned missions were around 2 1/2hr in duration with external tanks. The additional weight of the tanks meant they needed to use RATOG or catapults. If they were armed with a pair of 500lb bombs them they need a minimum of 28kts over the bow to launch (interestedly the Fireflies only needed 21kts), even with the catapults! Due to the general weather conditions there they mainly armed with rockets. There was an Admiralty order in place that the maximum underwing loading was to be 4x rockets loaded when carrying drop tanks. Though that seemed be forgotten about from 1952, where the common load was 2x 500lb bomb with a 30 second fuse.

Later they even went to 1000lb bombs, but these aircraft had to be launched with RATOG. Though there was one reported launch where the pilot forgot to fire them, he disappear from sight over the bow but luckily had enough momentum slowly gain altitude! 

As for the weapons pylon layout with tanks fitted it's a bit all over the place as well, could be bomb rack by itself normally on the inner most position, but can be on the centre  ( inner, centre, and outer are referring the the rocket pylon position), rockets 4 or 6, though if you use the larger drop tank then the inner rockets were not loaded (only 4 carried). Or the strange layout that a lot of RAN aircraft used, was rocket pylons in the inner and outer position and a bomb rack in the centre position! This is the config I'll be using.

Ok as far as the door inside colour...... Well I don't think there is any agreement on this, it's generally thought to be Sky or Hawker Primer or even Grey. I think though the undersurface Sky is considered the correct colour. The U/c legs themselves... grey or silver, not sure. Be careful with using restored aircraft as a colour reference as it appears that quite a few of these Reso jobs are intact incorrectly painted.  

Once I can work out the gear colour I'll let you know....... now back to my resin origami or Sea Fury wing folding! :wall:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent sprue shot photos Dave and your progress so far is to be highly commended. 

I'm in two minds whether to just go out and buy this kit or wait for the "Export" version later this year.

I'm sure the many builds on here will tip me to do the former.

Cheers.. Dave 

• 3 months later...