Hawker Siddeley AV-8A Matador - DONE!

Dermo245

• 3 weeks later...

I really like these Esci Harrier kits and should track down more of them when I get the chance. 

Good luck Dermot, a Spanish Naval Matador will make this build a real 'eye catcher'. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Love a nice Harrier build, have the Esci GR-3 in the stash ( well 3 of them I think). COuld be tempted to build one of them for this GB.

Do we need to twist your arm Ray? You know I get discounted flights and Canberra’s only an hour an a bit away... might take me a few more hours to negotiate all those roundabouts though!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Do we need to twist your arm Ray? You know I get discounted flights and Canberra’s only an hour an a bit away... might take me a few more hours to negotiate all those roundabouts though!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Sorry to hijack the thread again Dermot, but Dave I see 5 8 Harrier build threads (with 11 builds) already here (I know the more the merrier), but I have another build lined up here that I will start once a few other projects are cleared from the bench.

Hopefully, you won't be disappointed Dave B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 9:44 PM, Col. said:

So, tell me Dermot, had a chance to start your Harrier yet?

Yep indeed, started and being off work with the recent snow, a bit more done!

Not much to see in the cockpit, being OOB. The seat is drying and will be added later. Again, just the kit seat with some belts added.

25760294097_a659debc3a_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_cockpit by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then started to bodge the intake doors..

40630870631_b3c121dc17_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_intake_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some tidying up still needed but a little better..

25760294187_6d21d29d4c_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_intake_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Top wing parts glued together...

40588886512_a1b653c607_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_wing by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And added to the fuselage halves. Also added the tail parts and drilled out the small intake at the base of the tail.

40630870351_ec8a1dcdd3_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, more soon!

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 8

For the ESCI kits, I've started to fit the intakes before the nose section - it's easier to take material from the insides of the intakes & cockpit section to get the nose to fit than taking material from the outsides of the intakes - less clean up as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

For the ESCI kits, I've started to fit the intakes before the nose section - it's easier to take material from the insides of the intakes & cockpit section to get the nose to fit than taking material from the outsides of the intakes - less clean up as well.

Will have to remember that for the next one (SHAR) for sure. Nice tip Dave, thank you!

Dermot

• Like 2

Good to see this one taking a leap forward Dermot :thumbsup: I recognise the wing as being the same parts as that in my SHAR kit although the fit looks be better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been busy with this one but haven't posted in a while.

Bit of fettling to get the intakes sorted but they're on. White from a rattle can and two brush coats of Light Gull Grey which I think could be bit lighter...

41323476611_72cabaacab_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Glossed up..

41280616292_735a2fdc55_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And then started on the decals. These are the originals from the kit and behaved very nicely!

41323472311_d4ef29098f_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Wip_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More soon, thanks for looking.

D

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much. Here's the other side decals in progress...

41699565012_e41c2d6266_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Wip_5. by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And then with the gear, pylons, aerials and other bits added. The pitot has been glued on again (that's the third time now!) and she's had a wash with Flory Models dark dirt. I also went over some of the panel lines with a sharp pencil.

41022654754_4ff67ea94a_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Wip_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The outriggers are a little further forward than would be the case but they needed some fettling otherwise they wouldn't touch the ground.

Final question - does anyone know whether the final finish should be flat or satin?

Thanks for looking!
Dermot

• Like 6

They were satin finished, but turned to a matt, tatty finish very quickly...they used to be quite dirty undersides....Not his one, but nice to see the satin finish....

1168997.jpg?v=v40

Edited by Artie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So with a coat of Satin varnish and a little weathering on the back exhausts, she's done.

39970524700_470c015037_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Matador (9)f by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

39970582510_f92945fdc1_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Matador (6)f by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

41060624934_ac34463417_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Matador (12)f by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

A little sanding on the outriggers and she sits just right though the background paper makes her sit a little high. 

Will post some more pics in the Gallery, thanks to Col for leading this great GB and good luck with your builds!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1