Big white triangle

Final (hopefully!) coat of white sprayed.

xge8eq.jpg

2wgzudc.jpg

I think I'll need to rescribe some of the lines on the upper surface and nose. It should look better then, and once the tape is removed to show the black radome and fin tip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

As you are a Cheshire resident have you been to Woodford recently to see XM603 and have a look in the cockpit of the other one?

Most certainly Harry, it's a fantastic museum! Rumours they're getting a Shackleton in summer too!

Masking tape removed and a bit of touching up around the edges and canopy frames painted. I rescribed over the intakes and airbrakes too though that doesn't show in these photos. 

2jc6afs.jpg

33yj0hd.jpg

v7ebg0.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chrisrope said:

Oooh where did you hear that?

Cockpit or full aircraft, surely not the MOSI AEW2

I spoke to a couple of guys at the museum a few weeks ago. Apparently it's the one at Bruntingthorpe, a full aircraft I think, she'll be displayed outdoors next to the museum car park.

• Thanks 1

I don't have the skill to cut out tiny windows in the nose and fit clear plastic, but I think as they're so small and dark then just black paint will probably suffice.

Now she's had all night to dry I'm pleased with the overall colour and demarcation lines round the radome. She's not perfect, it's so hard to hide some joins with all over white, but in general it's starting to look ok I think.

Looking at real Vulcans, there is actually a line along the nose anyway where the panels fitted together.

iny9uv.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Finally bit the bullet, got this at Woodford today. Hopefully it'll end up looking something like the real one behind, in anti-flash white.

Pete

58bba51b-036b-470a-b2c7-cf37c9ed58a7.jpg

Fantastic! Great museum too. I'm tempted to do another one in white as 603. I don't think you can have too many Vulcans! 

11 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Glad you like the museum, I’m a volunteer there. 

Is is the kit good as it is to replicate 603?

Pete

Love the museum! I'm a member so I go quite a bit.

I think the kit is certainly good enough to replicate 603, though I'm sure more skilled/fussy modellers than me would find all sorts of detailed things to change!

At least the 301 series jetpipes would be correct (unlike for the kit's intended subject!), though I think you'll need to remove the TFR thimble and fill the hole where the probe would have been. Oh and the fintip ECM box. Other than that I reckon it'll look great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Love the museum! I'm a member so I go quite a bit.

I think the kit is certainly good enough to replicate 603, though I'm sure more skilled/fussy modellers than me would find all sorts of detailed things to change!

At least the 301 series jetpipes would be correct (unlike for the kit's intended subject!), though I think you'll need to remove the TFR thimble and fill the hole where the probe would have been. Oh and the fintip ECM box. Other than that I reckon it'll look great!

Brilliant, thanks for the info. That's a great help.

Pete

• Like 1