Revell 1/72 Spitfire Vb - new tool ?

rs2man

Apologies if this has been covered previously , but I've seen this Spitfire Vb at Hannants :

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV3897

Is it a reissue of the 1990s monstrosity :

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV4164

Or is it a new tool ?  If it is a new tool , has anybody seen one & , if so , is it any good ? 

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

Hello, John

I do not have this Revell's Vb but I doubt both this one and the old one are built with the same tools. Look at the photo, showing kit's underside: gull wing trailing edge at wing to fuselage attachment can be seen clearly. This part is flat without even a hint of anything resembling a curve on the old 90's kit. Cheers

Jure

Yes, new tool apparently: If you look at the sprue shot here, you will see both the gull wing that Jure mentioned, as well as the separate lower engine section (old one was integral), choice of 4 and 5 slot wheels, and slipper tanks. Probably based on the CAD data for their 32nd kit, but let's see what the jury says.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Yes, new tool apparently: If you look at the sprue shot here, you will see both the gull wing that Jure mentioned, as well as the separate lower engine section (old one was integral), choice of 4 and 5 slot wheels, and slipper tanks. Probably based on the CAD data for their 32nd kit, but let's see what the jury says.

Thanks for the sprue shot . I couldn't get that image to open yesterday .  Is it just me , or are the upper wing cannon bulges far too small & much too far back ?  Furthermore , the lower wing is an eight-gun a wing .  I really hope that's not a shot of the production sprues . 

You're right, I only looked for the gull wing, but the pic indeed shows an 8-gun wing... I think the b blisters were slimmer than a c double but bigger than the c single blisters, relatively long and further back, but they appear too long, and at least their rear tip too far aft. Also that armoured mounting plate...

I have this kit and it is a new tool, based on the recent Mk.IIa. Some of the problems of the Mk.II are still with us (odd wheels, awful canopies and incorrect oil cooler) but there aren't any strange square plates on the wing. The lower wing is a new part and has fewer ejection ports but still, I think, too many. The underwing cannon bulges are present. Additional areas of concern are the upper cannon bulges and the propeller unit which are too thin/too far back and odd respectively (both as above). 

IMG_20180206_151912523_HDR

IMG_20180206_152033115_HDR

IMG_20180206_152210074_HDR

A bonus is the two slipper tanks, so not all bad.

John.

PS Sorry about the quality of the pics, only my mobile to hand at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have this kit, and from the appearance of the sprues, I don't intend to. It amazes me that with the current technology in scanning, measuring, and photographing a real example as well as the fact that the Mk Vb and Vc are arguably the most popular versions and offer such an incredible variety of colors and markings, especially if you also include the corresponding Seafire variants, that a major kit maker would put out such a poor product! As has been mentioned numerous times on BM, if somebody will produce an accurate Vb or Vc, they won't be able to mold them fast enough to meet the demand! BTW johnd- thanks for posting the sprue shots- I don't know about the rest of the Spit fanatics out there, but it saved me from throwing my money at this one!

Mike

• Like 3

I look upon this kit as a bit of a disappointment but not a total disaster. To play devil's advocate a little, my fairly decent supply of Spitfire spares will provide a propeller unit, wheels, oil cooler, exhaust stacks and canopy and therefore it should build up into a reasonable Vb. The only real problem is what to do about the upper wing cannon bulges. I'll probably stick to just one, though, unless the price is right. After all, the basic shape of fuselage and wings is sound.

Regarding a Vc, there's no reason why Revell couldn't release one as the next in the line...

John.

9 hours ago, johnd said:

Regarding a Vc, there's no reason why Revell couldn't release one as the next in the line...

John.

Fairly good reason, I think.  The changes between the Mk.Vb and Vc are such as to require an entirely new tooling.  They might release one - as they might release any other popular aircraft that is already in their range - but not as a straightforward retooling of these tools.  I suspect the general public might be a bit baffled at the presence of two Mk.Vs in the Revell range.

Hopefully the mentioned AZ Mk.Vc will satisfy the market.

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I don't have this kit, and from the appearance of the sprues, I don't intend to. It amazes me that with the current technology in scanning, measuring, and photographing a real example as well as the fact that the Mk Vb and Vc are arguably the most popular versions and offer such an incredible variety of colors and markings, especially if you also include the corresponding Seafire variants, that a major kit maker would put out such a poor product!

And include the same decdal option as the Airfix kit has had for 45 years!

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Fairly good reason, I think.  The changes between the Mk.Vb and Vc are such as to require an entirely new tooling.  They might release one - as they might release any other popular aircraft that is already in their range - but not as a straightforward retooling of these tools.  I suspect the general public might be a bit baffled at the presence of two Mk.Vs in the Revell range.

Hopefully the mentioned AZ Mk.Vc will satisfy the market.

I'm a little puzzled by your comment Graham .  Obviously the wings are totally different between the Vb & Vc , but I was under the impression that the fuselage was the same in both variants so I would have thought that just a new wing would suffice . 

With a little forethought a Vc and Xll could be produced more or as easily.

That said the Xll isn't that well known with only 100 built so might not have enough appeal especially in the home market, Germany

And yet we've probably had more new XII releases than Vc releases in the last decade or so. Strange, isn't it?

38 minutes ago, rs2man said:

I'm a little puzzled by your comment Graham .  Obviously the wings are totally different between the Vb & Vc , but I was under the impression that the fuselage was the same in both variants so I would have thought that just a new wing would suffice . 

Correct.

11 hours ago, johnd said:

I look upon this kit as a bit of a disappointment but not a total disaster. To play devil's advocate a little, my fairly decent supply of Spitfire spares will provide a propeller unit, wheels, oil cooler, exhaust stacks and canopy and therefore it should build up into a reasonable Vb.

Fair point, but if you have an extenisve 1/72 Sptifre spares box you can already end up with a decent Vb from the Hobby Boss kit, as shown by the one @rs2man occasionally brings out to shows. I'm sure he will correct me on the details but if I recall correctly it's a case of canopy, prop and main gear doors being needed from the spares box, and everything else is pretty much OK

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Denford said:

With a little forethought a Vc and Xll could be produced more or as easily.

That said the Xll isn't that well known with only 100 built so might not have enough appeal especially in the home market, Germany

They didn't have that forethought as they did the engine integrally, so would require a new fuselage for a XII - about whose appeal I have my doubts...

A completely new wing obviously didn't scare them away from the Vb, as their a wing is mono-use except for possible minimal variations like I and Va from their II boxing. And yes, including Zumbach's is really creative - AIrfix at least gave a 31. FG (?) option...

13 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Fair point, but if you have an extenisve 1/72 Sptifre spares box you can already end up with a decent Vb from the Hobby Boss kit

I know, I have two already finished and two more ready to go :smile: . Are there pictures of @rs2man's example?

John.

24 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

They didn't have that forethought as they did the engine integrally, so would require a new fuselage for a XII - about whose appeal I have my doubts...

A completely new wing obviously didn't scare them away from the Vb, as their a wing is mono-use except for possible minimal variations like I and Va from their II boxing. And yes, including Zumbach's is really creative - AIrfix at least gave a 31. FG (?) option...

I think you have missed my point

A Vc wing (and some other parts too) could be used with two different fuselages produce, as separate kits, either Vc or Xll. 

It should also be possible to 're-use' the Vc kit but with a Vb wing, again as a separate kit.

I put this to KP at Telford and they dismissed the idea out of hand.

Sorry rs2man and Denford, but the canopy windscreens are different and this affects the fuselage where they meet.  A Mk.Vc canopy will not fit on a fuselage designed to take an earlier windscreen.  Or vice versa, although this might be easier to fix.  There is a concurrent thread on the making of a Mk.Vc from an Airfix Mk.I where this matter is encountered and described.  It isn't something that an experienced modeller would find terribly difficult - but then look at the thread on the short-shot 1/48 Sea Fury for an illustration of what is/ isn't acceptable to all.

Also, I suspect the wing on the new Mk.Vb is not a new tooling but a modification of the previous one.

1 hour ago, Denford said:

I think you have missed my point

A Vc wing (and some other parts too) could be used with two different fuselages produce, as separate kits, either Vc or Xll. 

Re-reading your first sentence, it seems I did. Still, they could have expanded their options had they done the engine separately. Then basically they could have covered Vc, IXc and VIII when going the extra mile for a c wing without having to do a new fuselage, assuming they did their research on the smaller differences.