Typhoon Target tug and Tuft test questions

Dave Fleming

This was raise don the Key forum, I know there are some knowledable TYphoon people on here like @Chris Thomas.

Does anyone know if this profile of a TYphoon converted to a target tug is genuine, or another example of the artistic creativity that was apparent in some 1960s profile?

9_48.jpg

Similarly, are there any photos of this test aircraft?

9_43.jpg

• Like 1

I have made some comments on the Flypast Historic Aviation Forum, as that is where the topic recently (re-)appeared, as follows.

The colour artwork in the 'Profile' series from the 60s, particularly the earlier issues, has many inaccuracies. In the case of the Typhoon, I know for a fact that the 5-view painting of TP-F, still appearing on decal sheets after 60 years, was based on "notes (allegedly) from the pilot" - no photos.  

In the same publication there is much amiss with the Typhoons illustrated in colour.  The most dubious example being the 'target-tug'; having trawled through all available records and spoken to former instructors and pupils of 56 OTU there has been not the slightest trace of such a beast.  It certainly was not SW500, if it did exist, as that airframe was allocated to 84 GSU as a training aircraft and carried the code '49'; by August 1945 it was in store at 51 MU (in those markings) where it was scrapped in March 1946.  As a Typhoon from the last production order SW500 had the later sliding hood, not the car-door type shown in the illustration.

The white/tufted Typhoon seems to have more of a whiff of reality, though no photos have turned up.  The caption (or the drawing) must be incorrect however as Typhoons with cannon and the car-door canopy with transparent rear section were in service until 1942 and Typhoon underwing identity stripes were not seen until December 1942. Typhoons were not frequently transferred between RAE and A&AEE but there was one, R7617, which did undertake trials at both units and which include both Carbon Monoxide tests and 'rudder handling' (as well as many other and varied tests).

Edited by Chris Thomas
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Postwar Tempests (and other types) were used as target tugs with little more than a hook under the fuselage.  To me, it seems likely that such a mod could easily have been made earlier to a Typhoon, and then the knowledge blurred so that the author or artist, knowing what target-tug markings officially looked like, jumped to an unwarranted conclusion.  But where did he get the number 12 from?  56 OTU was disbanded in February 1946: it had 53 Typhoons and 54 Tempests.

PS  Tip for modelling: the wool tufts will hang downwards when the aircraft is stationary and the engine not running.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to jump in and I can remove this post if requested,

But I was recommend to ask @Chris Thomas when I had a query at work just this week.  I hadn't realised that you even posted on here.

Did the Typhoon ever appear in a distinct post-war scheme? ie anything different to the standard WWII camo schemes?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Did the Typhoon ever appear in a distinct post-war scheme? ie anything different to the standard WWII camo schemes?

The quick answer is no.  As mentioned above, the last Typhoons in service were withdrawn in February 1946, before any changes to the wartime schemes were introduced.  

However it is worth mentioning that the former 2ndTAF Typhoon squadrons in Germany (BAFO), in the summer of 1945, applied bright colours to their aircraft, although this was in the form of colourful spinners, rear fuselage bands and the inner surfaces undercarriage doors. Back in the UK, Typhoons in training units had serial numbers applied under the wings - and this was done to Typhoons in storage at various MUs, even though they would never fly again.

Lastly, by the end of 1947, the only Typhoons left were those employed as instructional airframes in Schools of Technical Training. There is photographic evidence that these machines were repainted in allover 'Aluminium' at Halton, St Athan and Locking at least. Just to be clear, these were non-flying aircraft, issued and carrying 'M' numbers.

• Like 4