1/32 spitfire

ModellerUK

Surprisingly few choices.  Personally I favor the Hasegawa/Revell Mk.I, which used the older Hase Vb and added new wings.  I believe that it has been recently re-issued as "Bader's Mk.II" under Hase's label.

The newer Revell (Germany) Mk.II is a bit lumpy and festooned with skin "detail", severely lacking in finesse, but can be made to look decent.

The 1960s vintage Revell kit, also still surprisingly easy to come by, has some good points, but is a 1960s Revell kit, too.

Every one of them would benefit from a few well-chosen aftermarket bits.

bob

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Surprisingly few choices.  Personally I favor the Hasegawa/Revell Mk.I, which used the older Hase Vb and added new wings.  I believe that it has been recently re-issued as "Bader's Mk.II" under Hase's label.

The newer Revell (Germany) Mk.II is a bit lumpy and festooned with skin "detail", severely lacking in finesse, but can be made to look decent.

The 1960s vintage Revell kit, also still surprisingly easy to come by, has some good points, but is a 1960s Revell kit, too.

Every one of them would benefit from a few well-chosen aftermarket bits.

bob

I have recently got the Italeri hurricane mk1 new tooling and live the fact I can position the control surfaces how I want, as I want to do the spitfire just after take off this would be ideal, would it only be possible with AM parts? 

The old Revell should have most controls separate. It has - IMHO - lovely surface detail for its time (everything very finely engraved), but rather terrible wheels, I think somewhat oversized wheel wells ('cos they retract), no proper "gull wing" and probably a host of other problems. At least it has a wing shape basically like a Spitfire, not like Revell's terrible 1/72 attempt from a few years earlier (H-611). I got the Revell/Hase kit when it was fairly new and to be honest, I'd have expected something more. The new parts are somewhat sterile, for lack of a better term.

As Bob said, the recent (ish) Revell Mk II is rather lacking in some respects but with a bit of work can be made into a decent model. I made mine coming into land with the u/c being lowered and all control surfaces correctly (I hope) positioned so it certainly gives you the opportunity to do what you're planning.

Max  

On 06/02/2018 at 9:59 AM, gingerbob said:

I also consider the Hasegawa / Revell hybrid the most satisfactory starting point from the available options. It does imply rescribing the fuselage, which may not be fun for everyone, mind you. The new Revell kit is the easiest to build if the shape errors and rivetfest don't bother you.