Revell F-4D Phantom "Gunfighter 1" 1:48

Books

So right up to my neck in it - my first model in 16 years (my last being a very, VERY shoddy 1/72 Lancaster when I was 11), the first (and cheapest) F-4 Phantom I could find on eBay - Revell's 1:48 C/D!

7e4Wj34.jpg

I've opened it up and had a bit of a play around and a test fit - but not much else. I'm a bit terrified to be honest.

gYaoJKQ.jpg

I've got some after market ejector seats on their way as the kit ones are a little lacking - this will involve some fun sawing/cutting to get the base of the kit seats, which are moulded onto the cockpit floor, out. As I've joined in a Vietnam group build on another forum, the plan is to do her up as a F-4D of the USAF 389th Fighter Squadron, based in Da Nang in late 1966 - specifically Gunfighter 1, as pictured below;

XHBqD0u.png

Luckily, Furball has some nice aftermarket decal sheets for various USAF Phantoms, including the above;

48029a_large.jpeg

And that's all I've got! I'm still trying to figure out the loadout and such (as there's conflicting stuff on Wikipedia/elsewhere about what kind of loadouts she likely had), but it's enough to be going on with for the time being. Next step is to clean up the cockpit a little, get some paint on it, and drybrushing - with my first kit back I'm certainly not going to be going crazy with the instrument panel, so hopefully some dry brushing and a few spots of colour picked out will be enough to make her look presentable.

Oh, and coincidentally on May 27 2018 it will be the 60th anniversary of the F-4 Phantom - so maybe I'll have her done for her birthday :D

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Books
Changing title of thread
  • Like 3

Its a decent kit still after all these years. I built one two yrs ago and converted it into a USMC “J”. There was a munition shortage at that time across all three services. So older Bombs like the M117’s and Mk.82’s were used but supplemented by older types as well. 

Dennis

On 2/5/2018 at 11:28 PM, Books said:

So right up to my neck in it - my first model in 16 years ... .

Nice refresher project.  :D

If in the future you decide to do another and add some "enhancements", drop me a PM and I'll send some seamless intake patterns.

Gene K

On 2/8/2018 at 6:24 AM, Gene K said:

If in the future you decide to do another and add some "enhancements", drop me a PM and I'll send some seamless intake patterns.

Yeah, I think I'd like to do another F-4 in a couple years' time and see how much I've improved - but I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself! This one first :)

On 2/8/2018 at 7:13 AM, Christer A said:

Nothing can go wrong with a scary Phantom (or so I hope)

I'll watch with interest!

Thanks! Glad to have you along.

No updates yet sorry, life's been a bit hectic and I've been caught up with some other projects, but hopefully will have some progress shots to show over the next few days!