Zvezda 737-800 (My First Airliner)

planecrazee

So this is going to be a first for me as I've never built an airliner model before.  Therefore, when I saw the 737 GB I thought 'why not - let's give it a go'.

As I haven't built an airliner before, I had nothing suitable in the stash so decided to treat myself to this:

70191.jpg (600×460)

Even with the little amount of knowledge I have of airliner models, I can tell this kit is a belter!  The parts are perfectly moulded with no flash, crisp fine panel lines and excellent decals make for a perfect baptism of fire.  I've decided to go with the scheme on the box which is the only one in the kit as I want to keep my first airliner build as straightforward as possible.  

DSC00249

DSC00250

Within no time I was following the instructions with gusto and she was just falling together.  I can honestly say this is the fastest I've ever started putting a model together - it almost builds itself.  I made a start on the wings and underside of the plane:

DSC00248

DSC00247

DSC00251

DSC00252

Within 30 mins I had made so much progress I had to stop and take stock - as I said I've never built this quickly before which is testament to the ease of the kit.  So within no time this is where I was:

DSC00254

DSC00256

DSC00257

I'm really impressed with this kit and it has certainly made me keen to make more airliners in the future as I've really enjoyed working on a completely different type of aircraft.  So next steps are to get the cockpit glazing masked and fixed and to tidy up the fuselage with the odd bit of sanding.  Engines will be next so hope to have some progress on these for you soon.

• Like 9

I'm building the same kit, but you have passed me

I had to mow 2 lawns today, and it's really hot here 32C

I also was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it went together

can I ask how are you doing the passenger windows?

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Good to see that you're enjoying your first airliner build planecrazee :)

Just out of interest, do Zvezda provide a nose weight in the kit?

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks for the support Cliff.  No there's no nose weight supplied in the kit so an alternative would be needed.  I've decided for this one that she will be gear up as I quite like the stands that Zvezda provide once they're painted up and also I think an airliner definitely looks the part posed in flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graeme H said:

I'm building the same kit, but you have passed me

I had to mow 2 lawns today, and it's really hot here 32C

I also was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it went together

can I ask how are you doing the passenger windows?

Hi Graeme - 32C - wow!!  Not having to put up with the snow then that we've got in Cumbria at the moment lol

I'll have to keep an eye out for your progress too and see what we both end up with at the end.  I'm not sure with the windows - I think I may just go for some 'Glue n Glaze' as they're only small.  However, your ideas on this would be most welcome.

Kris

I actually used the windows supplied in the kit, I had a couple that didn't seem to be all the way through and filled the top of those with superglue and sanded it all down

I think you are now restricted to the glue and glaze though

• 1 month later...

So I've finally managed to get back to my 737 in between all the other GB's that I seem to be getting myself involved with :phew:

Here's a quick update of where I am.  I managed to get the cockpit glazing masked and fixed in place and then did a lot of work on seems and gaps with filling and sanding where necessary.  The fit of the kit is excellent but as this is an airliner, I want to try and get as flawless a finish as possible.  After all the remedial work, I've managed to give her a blast with some primer and this is where I am:

DSC00349

DSC00350

DSC00351

I've now moved on to getting the engines put together and have got the parts painted up ready to throw some glue at them:

DSC00348

Next step is doing a little remedial work to the engines and getting them attached to the fuselage along with a few other smaller items and then I can start getting her painted up.  Hopefully I'll have an update sooner rather than later!!

Kris

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...