1/72 Tanks and armoured vehicle kits

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

I usually build aircraft and ship kits but occasionally I like to make a model of a tank or armoured vehicle. Many years ago, I built most (or at least plenty of) of the Airfix and Matchbox 1/72 or 1/76 armour kits (I found the Matchbox kits to be better most of the time) and later on I discovered the Fujimi kits, which I felt were a step up. Later on I built a mix of 1/35 kits, which were mostly Tamiya with a few Italeri ones. We're talking late 90's early 2000's, I found I quite liked the newer tool Tamiya kits like the Pz IIIL, Pz IVH, Panther, Tiger, King Tiger, Sherman and Cromwell but I've not built any really since then. I've decided to go back to 1/72 for cost and space reasons and I've bought a few like the Revell Merkava III, Leopard I + II, Marder, Pz Haubitz 2000 and Dragon StuG III, Tiger and Challenger II but I'm might get more if anything takes my fancy. What I'd like to know, is what kit ranges are any good. I was looking on Hannants the other day and there's quite a few I've not really heard of, or not seen in the flesh, so some thoughts and general opinions on the various ranges would be welcome. I'm looking mainly for kits that are fun builds and generally go together well, I don't mind if they are a mm out here or there, or something's not quite the right shape, as long as it doesn't look too bad when built. I'm not interested in things that are pigs to build, I don't get any pleasure from ill fitting kits, even if they might be as near as 100% accurate! So thoughts anyone?

thanks

Mike 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niall said:

Check out this site for review of almost all 1/72nd scale models -

http://henk.fox3000.com/index2.htm

Thanks

That looks very helpful but it'll take a while to look at! In the meantime, if anyone can share thoughts on various manufacturers, please do!

thanks

Mike

The new(ish) tool 1/72 Heller M4 and M4A2 Shermans are pretty good.

There's a couple of each being built in the current M4/M3 group build.

Dragon's previous 1/72 kits are generally pretty good. Their T-34 kits are rather nice bit most of the range is now discontinued and fetch very high prices.

Avoid the current releases as they are very simplified with all in one, soft plastic tracks and wheels.

Zvezda do a small range of very nice kits, which are marketed as snap together. They are nicely engineered and detailed and hold their own with more traditional style kits.

Hope this helps

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

I've just got myself the Hobby Boss Merkava IV as it was on offer and my experience of Hobby Boss aircraft, has shown they are well engineered and nicely detailed but not always accurate. This looks the same (can't comment on accuracy though) but is much simplified, so should be a nice fun build. I like what they've done with the tracks, that makes like much easier for the modeller.

thanks

Mike

@Mikemx I've just been to your site looking for the Modelcollect 1/72 T-72 'Syria', but I can't find any of your small scale AFVs.....Do you only sell them via eBay?  :shrug:

If you want beautiful 1/72 kits look at Flyhawk, they are better than anything Dragon ever did (but they are a challenging build due to the level of detail).  For ease of build Trumpeter/Hobbyboss & Revell spring to mind (a couple of kits in each range are total dogs, use the Henk site or OTW! to guide your choices), some of Italeri's new-tool stuff is pretty good too, but their ESCI repops mostly belong in the eighties and their QB stuff mostly belongs in the bin.  Avoid Dragon (unless you can find their older kits for a sane price), they are getting steadily worse, they are even mutilating their excellent old tools to turn them into QB kits.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Mikemx I've just been to your site looking for the Modelcollect 1/72 T-72 'Syria', but I can't find any of your small scale AFVs.....Do you only sell them via eBay?  :shrug:

If you want beautiful 1/72 kits look at Flyhawk, they are better than anything Dragon ever did (but they are a challenging build due to the level of detail).  For ease of build Trumpeter/Hobbyboss & Revell spring to mind (a couple of kits in each range are total dogs, use the Henk site or OTW! to guide your choices), some of Italeri's new-tool stuff is pretty good too, but their ESCI repops mostly belong in the eighties and their QB stuff mostly belongs in the bin.  Avoid Dragon (unless you can find their older kits for a sane price), they are getting steadily worse, they are even mutilating their excellent old tools to turn them into QB kits.

We don't sell tanks (apart from the occasional cheap 1/35 kit) but we might start if there's a demand for it. I'll have a look about that T-72 if you want, I'll need to see if it's something we can get a trade price on. PM me about that though.

I can imagine Flyhawk tank being superb, their ship kits are by far and away the best on the market, I've just got their 1/700 HMS Penelope and HMS Prince of Wales, awesome kits. This Merkava IV has just gone together really quick and easy, quite happy with it so far. I'm also working on a Revell Leopard IIA5, I didn't like the tracks at all but the rest is good. I've only got 3 Dragon kits, the Tiger looks fairly simple (Late model with Zimmerit) but the Stug III looks a lot more complicated, I quite fancy the Panther A with Zimmerit.  One kit that has piqued my interest is the Italeri Magach 6, I believe it's an ex Esci kit, so I was wondering what it was like. I'm a big fan of the modified tanks used by the Israelis, shame there isn't a Sho't kit (well none that I've found yet).

thanks

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

We don't sell tanks (apart from the occasional cheap 1/35 kit) but we might start if there's a demand for it. I'll have a look about that T-72 if you want, I'll need to see if it's something we can get a trade price on. PM me about that though.

Weird.....I thought I saw it advertised on eBay from you.  :shrug:

1 minute ago, Mikemx said:

I quite fancy the Panther A with Zimmerit.

Dubious kit.....There's actually no truly accurate Panther Ausf A in 1/72.  Having said that it's probably as good a starting point as any and at least you don't have to add the zimmerit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

One kit that has piqued my interest is the Italeri Magach 6, I believe it's an ex Esci kit, so I was wondering what it was like. I'm a big fan of the modified tanks used by the Israelis, shame there isn't a Sho't kit (well none that I've found yet).

That's one of the Italeri kits best left in the eighties.....Here's a review of the original release: 

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/ESCI/esciM60prev.htm

You might do better kit-bashing it with one of the Revell M60s: 

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/RevellAG/M60A3prev.htm

Comparison here:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/articles/SBrezinski_Revell&Esci_M60A3_comparison.htm

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Weird.....I thought I saw it advertised on eBay from you.  :shrug:

Dubious kit.....There's actually no truly accurate Panther Ausf A in 1/72.  Having said that it's probably as good a starting point as any and at least you don't have to add the zimmerit.

Nope, they're not available from Hannants yet, so no chance for us to get them yet!

As for the Panther, adding Zimmerit is not going to happen, so it's the reason why I fancy doing that kit. As long as it's a decent resemblance for a Panther A, I'm not too worried!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's one of the Italeri kits best left in the eighties.....Here's a review of the original release: 

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/ESCI/esciM60prev.htm

You might do better kit-bashing it with one of the Revell M60s: 

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/RevellAG/M60A3prev.htm

Comparison here:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/articles/SBrezinski_Revell&Esci_M60A3_comparison.htm

That's a shame! So perhaps buy both kits and use the Blazer sprue and Israeli decals on the Revell kit?

thanks

Mike

11 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

So perhaps buy both kits and use the Blazer sprue and Israeli decals on the Revell kit?

That may well be the best option, the Italeri/ESCI tool is a couple of mm bigger, so some fettling would be required.

I've just been looking at Dragon's newer Panthers and despite what the box art would have you believe (and the fact that all Ausf A should have it) neither of their Ausf A kits actually have moulded zimmerit.....However they do make an Ausf G with moulded zimmerit and it's a pretty good kit (I have seven in the stash).  The DS-100 tracks are the biggest weak point, some folk get on fine with them, I dislike them but will use them, others have them fall to pieces if they look at them too hard, but for this issue, we have OKB:

product_739.jpg

https://shop.okbgrigorov.com/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arachnid said:

Go on take the plunge,we need a Braille Scale retailer on BM,and it seems to be be getting popular again 😀

Start a thread on the MJW Models section, it will depend on the interest level but we can always get kits in for people if they ask, providing it's a range we get discount on, even if we don't carry the range in stock

16 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That may well be the best option, the Italeri/ESCI tool is a couple of mm bigger, so some fettling would be required.

I've just been looking at Dragon's newer Panthers and despite what the box art would have you believe (and the fact that all Ausf A should have it) neither of their Ausf A kits actually have moulded zimmerit.....However they do make an Ausf G with moulded zimmerit and it's a pretty good kit (I have seven in the stash).  The DS-100 tracks are the biggest weak point, some folk get on fine with them, I dislike them but will use them, others have them fall to pieces if they look at them too hard, but for this issue, we have OKB:

product_739.jpg

https://shop.okbgrigorov.com/

Damn! So no Normandy Panther with Zimmerit! I can't find the Panther G as a new kit now either. I'll see what else there is around. I've got the Vallejo Model Air German and British Caunter colour sets, so anything I can paint with them is always good. Speaking of colours The British army Black and Green camouflage, as seen on Warriors and Challenger II's - is that NATO Black and Green, or something different?

thanks

Mike

Panther G was in Normandy with several units, Panzer Lehr, 12 SS.Pz. to name a couple off the top of my head.....IIRC markings for both units are in the Dragon kit (don't quote me, check Henk or OTW! kit #7252 or #7363). 

7 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

The British army Black and Green camouflage, as seen on Warriors and Challenger II's - is that NATO Black and Green, or something different?

Anything post WWII is an alien world to me.....I'd be confident NATO Black was OK, but as for the green colour, not a scooby I'm afraid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Panther G was in Normandy with several units, Panzer Lehr, 12 SS.Pz. to name a couple of the top of my head.....IIRC markings for both units are in the Dragon kit (don't quote me, check Henk or OTW! kit #7252 or #7363). 

Anything post WWII is an alien world to me.....I'd be confident NATO black was OK, but as for the green colour, not a scooby I'm afraid.

Interesting, I thought they were Panther A's in Normandy. I'll have another look at stuff and see what else is around. I quite like the Pz 38T and things based on it's chassis, some interesting options there.

thanks

Mike

Interesting, I thought they were Panther A's in Normandy.

They were probably still the most common type, to begin with at least, but Ausf G production was in full swing and several units had already received them.

Pz 38T and things based on it's chassis, some interesting options there.

That'll be the Unimodel kits at a guess.....You might want to check my current thread in the Sherman STGB before comitting to buy.  To be fair UM are OK but they do require a bit of work compared to Revell, Dragon, HB/Trumpeter etc. and some of their design decisions are a bit odd, for instance some of the Pz.38(t)s come with seperate rivets (I  :poop:  you not!) that you must add to various parts.

If by any chance you are looking at the Attack Hobby kits.....Stop now, before something awful happens!  :analintruder:

• Like 2

Revell Nashorn is stonking, they do Hummel too.....Do not under any circumstances ever buy their StuG IV or M4A1 Sherman kits, no matter how cheap they are on offer!

UM have included a few of the more imaginative Hetzer derived vehicles in their line-up, some of them are about as real as the P.1000 Ratte. 

I've got almost all of their Pz.38(t) kits that have a basis in reality, including all the gun tanks, all the Marders & Grilles, the Early Hetzer, Flakpanzer 38(t) and Aufklärungspanzer 38(t), happy to take detailed pictures if you can't find them at Henk/OTW!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mikemx said:

That's a shame! So perhaps buy both kits and use the Blazer sprue and Israeli decals on the Revell kit?

thanks

Mike

Black dog models do a resin conversion in 1/72 for the revell kit. Buy that instead as it includes everything you need down to stowage.

I've got one and its a nice set.

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

You were looking in the wrong place!

That would explain it!  :doh:

Surely you should be Black Duncan Models?  :whistle:

I've ordered the T-72 'Syria'.....Sore tempted by the BMP-3 with cage armour and the BMP-3 with full interior, but they'll have to wait for another day.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Niall said:

thought the Panther was manufactured with Zimmerit until October 1944.

It was, hence all Ausf A and early-mid Ausf G should have it.....But Dragon are a useless idle bunch of good for nothings who, despite having the ability to add it to their models, don't bother to do so, even though they show it on their artwork.  :rant:

My recommendation.....Don't buy Dragon's overpriced rubbish and advise all your firends likewise, the sooner they are out of this business the better for everybody.  :mellow:

4 hours ago, badger said:

Black dog models do a resin conversion in 1/72 for the revell kit. Buy that instead as it includes everything you need down to stowage.

I've got one and its a nice set.

Where do you get that from and how much is it? I've had a look on hannants and the UK distributers on the Black Dog website but can't see any for sale!

thanks

Mike

8 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Where do you get that from and how much is it? I've had a look on hannants and the UK distributers on the Black Dog website but can't see any for sale!

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

I've had mine a while and can't remember where I got it from. Possibly either jadar or tracks and troops.

This site have it in stock but have never used them so can't say what they are like

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Magach-6-B-IDF-conversion-set-for-Revell.html

Price is about £18.

Regards

Ben

• Like 1