1/72 RAF ASR Launch

Evening all to my first WiP of a boat build.

Although the main direction will be coastal forces in the shape of MGBs and MTBs, I and others thought it might be good to start with something like this:

IMG_7921.jpg

As most will know the kit has two options; '130' of 1941 and '126' of 1944. I'll be going for the '130' option for starters and because it has a pretty yellow deck. Having a good look through @robgizlu thread of his MGB40 that uses this kit and thought I'd better get started.

IMG_7922.jpg

So the first bit to get tackled was the deck. As others have pointed out, the deck has a solid toe/ deck rail that has to be corrected and the moulded scramble nets that look 'pants' so need to be removed/ replaced. Deck rails duly marked and the process started to remove regular sections and one of the nets removed.

Looks like I better get some replacement deck fittings and stuff from our friends at Coastal Craft.

Until next time.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 9

Well done Stuart - looking forward to seeing this unfold.

I've emailed Martin Blundell at Coastal Craft  a couple of times in the last month and heard nothing back so I hope all is well.

You've nailed the toe - rails - your special friend here is one of the Albion sanding sticks that just fits between the "cut-outs" so as to sand a smooth surface.

I have thought of scribing the hull sides as it appears in the box-front picture, but on close inspection - I can't really find a single picture of these boats that shows anything other than a smooth finish.  Slightly different on several of the MGBs.

Keep it coming

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, I don't have one of those special friends but I reckon I can find something to do the job. I don't mind a little remedial scribing to fix things but I'm not about to do a whole hull! Hopefully I'll get a Coastal Craft order off today after I've compiled a list, if you're going to go shopping, then you plan ahead :wink:. Let's hope all is well at Cc.

Thanks Kev, I wouldn't know what classifies as a sexy hull but I'll take your word on it but their is a 'je nais se quoi' about these types that are pleasing to the eye.

Stuart

Afternoon peeps.

I'm planning to finish this launch tied-up to a floating wooden jetty that as far as I can tell were about 10' x 20'. I was wondering what fittings would be fitted to these platforms to secure the boats lines as i can't really tell from the photos I've seen?

TIA

Stuart

Update time.

Time stands still for no man and this boat wasn't going to be build itself. So, my work lunchtimes have been busy whittling away on this build, mainly with removal of plastic from the deck rails...rather time consuming.

IMG_7927.jpg

Deck rails hacked and now awaiting the rail over the top. Molded nets removed. The hull was then built up with no real problems except for the transom, which being a little oversize, had to be sanded to fit. Withe the hull and deck fitted, I was then able to fill in the 'net hols' with scrap plastic before filler application.

IMG_7928.jpg

Port beam deck rail now starting to look a lot better, just needs a little PPP and sanding before moving onto the next. Those 'sticky-uppy' things are meant to be mushroom vents and will be replaced by Coastal Craft offerings when they arrive.:yes:

I have also been tinkering with other sub-assemblies, more taking them off the sprues and test fitting them. Looking at the forward cabin, anybody got any ideas of what the internal colour was, I  was thinking mainly white with a wooden internal deck and wooden wheel?:shrug:

Also, I've been a prat and lost the long cabin roof :wall::doh::oops::rant:. I've made a request to Airfix, so it's a wait-and-see. In the meantime, I'll crack on with those deck rails.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 6

Nice work Stuart - the toe rails are time consuming but well worth it.

Ouch as to the lost roof!!  if the worst comes to the worst you could a) whittle one from plasticard or  b. get one moulded up.

Never seen any pictures of the bridge cabin so if you painted it puce - no-one could dispute;)

Rob

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:29, Courageous said:

I'm planning to finish this launch tied-up to a floating wooden jetty that as far as I can tell were about 10' x 20'.

Neat idea I would think the most likely would be metal rings max diameter 100mm x max 15mm thick. These would be held in place by an eye bolt driven into the wood. Second option would be cleats much like John made on Jan 3rd on his elco build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029868-172-usn-80-elco-pt-boat-with-some-mods/&page=3

Coming along but you must stop making life harder for yourself

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Also, I've been a prat and lost the long cabin roof

Is it the centre section? If so if you have no joy with Airfix as Rob said you could laminate/whittle a replacement

Kev

• Thanks 1

Rob, thanks. If I have no joy from Airfix I WILL scratch one myself but until then...

Kev, thanks and thanks for the fittings info; cleats or rings. I have seen Johns work, so shouldn't be too much trouble. 'Life harder for yourself', I take it that you are referring to the interior colour? I just thought that having all that glazing, it would be nice to have 'the' base colour, especially if you have that cabin hatch open.

Well, I have just checked the mail box and Coastal Craft have came up trumps with a small delivery, namely; vents, cleats and bollards:yes:. And some how I've got some boat hooks, a 20mm Oerlikon and a set of VGO MGs also in the box :shrug:.

Stuart

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Courageous said:

'Life harder for yourself', I take it that you are referring to the interior colour?

No buddy, I meant by loosing bits.

Interior colour I would go as you said for Off White and timber bits to break it up a bit

Kev

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd better bring you up date with the wee boat.

As mentioned earlier, I inadvertently lost the cabin roof. All is not lost, as Mr Airfix is sending a replacement and hopefully I'll be getting that soon. In the meantime...

IMG_7929.jpg

All relevant 'solid' deck rails have now been modified and the gaping holes that were left after cargo net removal are not filled with plasicard and putty. Only after a shot of primer will I know how good the work is.

IMG_7950.jpg

Lower half of 'Driver's cabin' has been added. Using artistic license and because I do it in cockpits, I decided to paint the internals in white with the deck and wheel being painted as wood.

IMG_7951.jpg

Upper half of 'driver's cabin built but not cleaned with the internals again being painted white.

IMG_7952.jpg

With the cabin temporarily fitted, I noticed that its rear window isn't inside the top lip of the cabin, something to sort a little later.

IMG_7953.jpg

Some bits-n-bobs that have been examined and cleaned up. The dingy took an hour to clean up along its join, a pain in the bottom :rant:! Gun turrets cleaned up ok and in this instance, the turret 'guards' are retaining their canvas protection. Turret MG's cleaned up nicely so no need to replace them. Mast also cleaned up nicely but I don't if I should use it :hmmm:.

As @robgizlu has built is building MGB40 and built an ASR launch that uses this kit, should I use the main mast as I think it is rather 'flimsy' but not sure how to go about a scratch build one :shrug:?

Bit early I know, the anchor. Am I to assume that rope should be attached to said anchor, and not chain. What would you say I use?

Thanks for looking.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 5

Hi Stuart - Great news about the roof!  I found the mast fine - and not flimsy - even with the "hooped" rigging.  Scratching one doesn't seem worthwhile IMHO.

It's a good point about the anchor - with a boat of this size you would expect chain not warp to be used even if only for the first few metres  to allow the anchor to engage with the bottom and "Sit" though there are few pics of the decks or chain evident.  I used short lengths of chain on my Vosper and ASR FWIW

Great to see this progressing so quickly

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

It's a good point about the anchor - with a boat of this size you would expect chain not warp to be used even if only for the first few metres  to allow the anchor to engage with the bottom and "Sit"

Nailed it from a practical point of view Rob. What size chain did you use?

Kev

This lunchtime I've been looking at the deck area, what goes on it, and comparing it with Rob's build, Coastal Craft History Vol 2 and intweb. Now, I can't see many good images of ASR launches and was wondering if they should be more like a MA/SB or MGB?

Should I or should I not fit fairleads at the stern?

Should I replace the winch with a post?

How is the anchor secured to deck?

I have been advised to fit the anchor with a length of chain before the warp. Was it standard practice to attach said chain to anchor and warp or was it only attached before used ie, down that front 'hole'?

:shrug:

TIA

Edited by Courageous
Addition

Hi Stuart.

Have you seen this video 'RAF Rescue Boats (1941)' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pcwjy2jwRg?

There's a nice closeup shot of the anchor at 47 seconds into the video, showing the anchor secured to the deck with a short length of chain attached to the anchor.

Here's a link to a few photos, one showing a winch mounted at the bow and another with what looks like a fairlead at the stern - http://ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1400.aspx.  

John

edit (just to confuse things): - I just found this photo showing a Sampson post fitted to a rescue launch - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205188324. Judging by the large deck vent, this is a Thornycroft designed boat.

Edited by JohnWS
  • Thanks 1

You're a star John :thanks:

The Youtube footage shows: small length of anchor chain, deck anchor points, turrets with/ without glazing, rescue dingy/ boat...

The 'Ournewhaven' photo does show a winch but also shows the little formast has support lines.

And the IWM photos does show a Sampson post but as you say, doesn't look like a BPB launch.

Does pose the question, How come the MA/SB & MGB drawings in Coastal Craft History Volume 2 for these boats show Sampson posts and not winches?

Stuart

On 2/21/2018 at 10:37 PM, longshanks said:

Nailed it from a practical point of view Rob. What size chain did you use?

Kev

Kev - Tiger Model Designs - 42 links per inch I believe.  

This is probably similar:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HALF-METER-AGENED-STEEL-EXTRA-FINE-ANCHOR-CHAIN-1-1-x-1-9-x-500mm-ACC612-AKKURA/362039777076?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Nice link to the You tube video John - what fabulous beasts - I'm surprised how bouncy they rode.

Stuart - here's the best pic I've go of the f'wd deck

0425a66e-b18f-4978-af89-7c57400c75b8.jpg

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

You're a star John :thanks:

The Youtube footage shows: small length of anchor chain, deck anchor points, turrets with/ without glazing, rescue dingy/ boat...

The 'Ournewhaven' photo does show a winch but also shows the little formast has support lines.

And the IWM photos does show a Sampson post but as you say, doesn't look like a BPB launch.

Does pose the question, How come the MA/SB & MGB drawings in Coastal Craft History Volume 2 for these boats show Sampson posts and not winches?

Stuart

Don't forget these were RAF launches vs RN MGBs/MA/SBs.  All the pics I have show winches vs Sampson posts on the RAF boats

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange that the two decalling options aren't the boat on the box art!

It looks like there are storage lockers in front of the wheelhouse windows. I can't see them fitted on any of the pics Rob posted. Maybe a later war addition.

Good to see the inside of the cabin in the video clip and how the cabin door opened in the fwd deck pic.

Any thoughts on scratching a little of the interior Stuart?

Tom

• Like 1

Tom- If you could see in there better, then maybe but not in this case. I could always have a bash at opening the side doors to the main cabin, mmm...no. I need to get a couple of boats under my belt first before I tackle anything too taxing.

Stuart

This is not your launch, BUT you asked for details relating to fittings when the launch was in dockside...........beginning and end of film shows this launch being prepared to go to sea and also its return........hope it helps and inspires:

• Like 3