West Jet B.737-800

Paul J

Decalling in progress a few days ago...

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

You might not be able to see them here but I was using the kit decals for all the stencilling first.

IMG_0011.jpg

First item from the Draw decal set. They are very nice, carrier film VERY thin and great care needed to use them. Hot water is good ,they float off as soon as they are in sight of your bowl/dish!! Just a quick dip in the water(while still very warm or hottish) getthem out quick so you need to be on the ball! Rest on you work space. Say a silent prayer and continue with applying them whilst they are still united to the backing paper. VERRRRY carefully slide in to position and juggle them to the spot where they are to stay.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Here, the fin marking is in place. They fit exactly to the kit shape!!

IMG_0014.jpg

Very tricky this bit. The windows, door outlines and title are all in the right place(or so I thought) so I cut out one side at a time. Feeling quite tense and nervous I got the item in place but then found the rearmost and front main doors not quite lining up. The windows and title are right as I could still just make out the filled windows and outlines for the emergency exits  so these were a good guide BUT... I had to carefully cut away the door outlines with a sharp blde using the recessed panle laines near the positions as a guide and then jiggled the doors to the faint traces of the filled door outlines of the kit. With lots of water I jiggled the windowcentrally aligning them with the long horizontal panel lines above and below the window line. It takes lots of eyeballing looking down the fuselage to check they are straight also gradual mopping up of excess water and application of Microset/sol. Hope you get what I am trying to explain Its one of those things that is hard enough to do in practice and harder to write down in words. 

Incidentally you may notice the nose leg assembly came adrift but fortunately no break just came off due to not enough glue or glue on paint stopping a firm bond. Easy fix when all decalling is done.

• Like 6

An update on progress leading up to a virtual finish ....

IMG_0014.jpg

A close up of the walk area. Looks non standard to the norm. I gleaned this layout from pics on airliners dot net. I basically just used fine black stripe decal cut to lengths needed to get the result. The escape route decal is from the kit although the Draw decal sheet does include them.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Once all the other essential markings were applied I focused on the registration. The insert on the decal set states any of the Westjet fleet of 738s can be done from the decals provided. 'Fraid not! The fleet is quite a big one and the decals lack a lot of letters such as G,S,E and a few others And these letters are needed if you want to model a particular one. To prove this I ran off a list from a website listing all of WestJet 737-800s and by going through them one can only model a few of the fleet that start with the C-F part of the reg. There are quite a few that start with C-G and these ones can not be done from the set. So, I resorted to representing one that I could from the decals provided....

IMG_0019.jpg

... my one has become C-FYBK . You can see from one these pics the part of the decal sheet with the letter options provided.

IMG_0020.jpg

The fllet number at the top of the fin is correct for 'YBK as I took this from the list that can be made out in pic further up. But they are very, very tny and need tobe applied as individual items If thats not enough The fleet number that goeson the nose wheel doors are EVEN smaller!! I might tackle thos but I need to have fresh eyes... wheres the eye wash..??

IMG_0024.jpg

Just for fun,i did this shot of the 738 with the wings of the Airfix -200 as a comparison of the wing size and shape showing the changes during the types life.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looks Nice Paul, almost ready for the gallery.

Great job!

Yep. Possibly during coming week...... and the Nordair one!!