West Jet B.737-800

Paul J

While I had all the bits out for my two choices,I made a start with the Revell kit:

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Some work started here with wings assembled and a little bit on one of the engines. It seems the kit winglets are a bit too wide and not high enough. Anyone know of any aftermarket replacements?

• Like 7

Nice colour scheme. Each time I visit drawdecals shop, I always add this sheet to my basket but remove it just before checking out. I'll probably end up buying it following your build.

As for the winglets,  they are one of the issues with the Revell kit. They are too broad in chord. Many claim they are too short vertically too. I haven't compared them to the Zvezda kit yet, but have compared them to the Authentic Airliners resin pieces. To me, apart from the width of the Revell winglets, they are virtually the same height. I'll try to show this in my build (not trying to hijack your build) of the Camair-co 737 -700. For the few Revell 737 I've made, I simply cut and filed them to shape and they do appear quite acceptable.

However, Brazmodels and Authentic Airliners offer winglets for the 737 .

Jeff 

Cheers for that Jeff. It looks like Hannants have the Braz ones so I might go for them.

EDIT: Just had a look at the links for other 737 builds. It looks like a fair bit of work is need on both chosen kits. 

I would definitely recommend the BraZ engines. I used them on a trio (-600, -700 and -800) which I built a while ago. The models were all posted in RFI if you want to see them. Just bear in mind that BraZ make two different versions of the engine  - 4087 is the more common CFM56-7B while 4088 is the newer CFM56-7BE which has a noticeably shorter hot section.

11 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I would definitely recommend the BraZ engines. I used them on a trio (-600, -700 and -800) which I built a while ago. The models were all posted in RFI if you want to see them. Just bear in mind that BraZ make two different versions of the engine  - 4087 is the more common CFM56-7B while 4088 is the newer CFM56-7BE which has a noticeably shorter hot section.

Thanks for that too!!  I am just about to order the set no 4088 as when looking at pics of the real ones I can see shorter 'hot ends'. So they'll be added to the winglets. I know I could modify the kit parts but I feel a bit lazy  to do that. But I will have a go though ... in case.

Shame Revell haven't modded the engines to suit the -800 though.

Wow! My BraZ bits turned up yesterday!!  Only ordered them Tuesday from 'H'!!  Anyway had to start trying out one of each of the 'sharklets' and engines They do look nice. No pics just yet but then again not done a lot except blank out the cabin windows with scrap plastic card, a bit of filler and made a bulkhead to stop the nose weights from rattling down to the back.  Figuring out a way to help the wing to fuselage fit better because of the wheel bay box. I think I have a plan.....

Not a lot of progress, but here are a few pics of whats been happening...

IMG_0008.jpg

The BraZ parts engines, WiFi dome and winglets.

IMG_0009.jpg

Here, the blanked out windowsand my home made bulkhead in the fuselage and the gauge tool thingy I used to get the shape more or less right. This bulkhead is mainly to keep nose weight up front!

IMG_0010.jpg

Engines in progress. Quite a bit of filing and trimming to the flange and insides of the front opening t get the parts to fit snugly. Filling also needed a bit. They'll look fine... I hope!

• Like 2

A load of pics of work carried out the past few very cold evenings :

IMG_0007.jpg

Assembled fuselage and wings.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

The Braz engines worked on and a little filler to blend the join which are not brilliant but no problem. Note that on the right is the 'sprue' with the vane/ finlets that go on the cowl surfaces where there is a groove to help locating.

IMG_0010.jpg

The u/cart box removed from the wing centre section after the tricky fit which led me to try it another way.

IMG_0009.jpg

Seeing else where here and finding this out for myself, the fit of the wing to fuselage with the whell bay box in place proved problematicl to fit. So I tried another approach... fixing the bay to the fuselage firmly and with careful lining up.  A few dry runs and I got it right... luckily.  Once the wing was in place I notice this vast daylight from left to right in the wheel bay!!!! Surely the real ones are not like that are they????

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Here you can see all the windows filled. They had to be revisited a couple times to ensure they were filled adequately.

IMG_0014.jpg

Above, the wing fixed in place but the gap you see here which is on both sides is not really due to bad fit, all it needs is the wings to be flexed up to meet the root join nicely and held in place while the glue sets hard. That way you get the right dihedral;)

IMG_0015.jpg

Like this. I used insulating tape purely because the masking tape I usually use was indoors and I didn't want to eave my warm little shed too long to go and get it so an improvise.

As I write this this evening, I haven't done any more or checked to see if the joins to the wing haven't 'sprung' as I stayed in to watch some winter olympics on catch up.

I'll be doing a bit more tomorrow night though.

• Like 4

Moving along nicely. The Braz engines are good but on my sets I've always had to remove the front section rear lip so that both pieces have flush joining edges. Even so, I've had to use filler to finish them off. I like the look of the WiFi blister. How many come in each pack?

Jeff 

8 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Moving along nicely. The Braz engines are good but on my sets I've always had to remove the front section rear lip so that both pieces have flush joining edges. Even so, I've had to use filler to finish them off. I like the look of the WiFi blister. How many come in each pack?

Jeff 

Thanks for comments. Those engines will hopefully look the biz when painted. As for the WiFi 'bump' only one in the pack.   I will have to choose an appropriate reggie for my build as not all of the fleet have this. And the location seems to be about forward of centre; roughly lining up with the spaced out windows.

Re  the cabin windows I also read that the kit ones are too low, but are the long panel lines either side of the windows in the wrong place too??

A small update. Just got in from spending a couple hours on this project. All main assembly done and main painting done . Pics to this effect will be up Monday night. Just need to fit the undercart, antenna, tailplanes and Engines. And a little work around the windshield. Of course not forgetting to decal it  and final pics.  Then its all done and move on to the other smaller 'Pig' .

Lots of pics of work done so far. I'll keep the commentary to a minimum and only comment where I feel an explanation might help'

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Wing root joined up after being tortured in to place ..No filler needed! Just a gentle rub down.

IMG_0010.jpg

Winglets with short lengths of stiff wire inserted in to holes I drilled very tentatively.One to avoid bodging up the hole and two to prevent the drill from breaking. Success fully done!

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

More in a bit in next post.

• Like 3

Next instalment. form last week. Thursday I think.

IMG_0014.jpg

WiFi hump in place. I had to search through lots of pics of WJ 738s to find decent views that showed the position. Foud  a really good one on Airliner dot net showing top view which helps in may ways . Such as the walk way markings, wing tips etc. But bes t of all the position of the hump. It worked out at being the 9th window from the rear most in line with the rear end of the hump. The view also reveals a shallow blade antemnna and another just aft of each other.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Engines almost ready to go on.

Lots more pics to come from Friday and Sunday night.

• Like 3

So we now get to painting stages.  Initial pics show priming , masking, white applications and light grey for the flying surfaces.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

The slight imperfection of paint at the root was easy to remedy but the decal depicting the escape route would cover it any way. The winglets are whit to the nisides and out but on the outside the West Jet colours will go over it.

IMG_0024.jpg

Humbrol No. 11 for the silver leading Edges. Not highly polished but is Ok as I have seen at my work place l/e slats with silver painted l/e and not polished. Variations again abound!

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

And this is where I'm at tonight.  Gloss white applied. Silver leading edges to all the flying surfaces painted on free hand using the engraved panel lines as a guide.. and a steady hand!!!! Just the fin l/e to do before decals go on to it. Construction wise, the engines need fitting as do the u/cart, remaining aerials and u/c covers. Oh, and some tidying eup around the windshield. Tried to build a flight deck but messed up one of the side windows so it will have to be decal option.

• Like 9

No work on it tonight... been watching re runs of the winter olympics. Can't wait to see the ski cross and ice hockey!   But in meantime here are a couple pics of what I did last night..

IMG_0007.jpg

Its up on its wheels and the tailplanes fitted and engines too.

IMG_0008.jpg

Almost ready for the fun time of decal applications!! And the weeny antenna fitted back on. Then its all over and on to the next....

The cockpit glazing definitely needs attending to I think..

• Like 6

Not much done last night, But, do any of you believe in modelling miracles???  It happened to me. This is what happened. When checking over my build I didn't realise I had knocked off one of the really tiny nose wheels. I went back  indoors to get a cuppa and then back to the shed. This is when I discovered the missing wheel. So I scoured the floor for the part and moved everything around in the thought and hope it had rolled to a dark corner. But nothing. So I gave up in vain with the idea that it had gone forever. Probably caught under my shoe and when I left the shed imagined it being somewhere down the garden path ,,,in the dark,,,. Oh well. So, I returend back indoors upstairs and prepared for bed. Off cam slippers and whilst looking down there was a white object clinging to left foot sock. I bent down to pluck it and WOW!!!  It was the wheel!!!! SO back on with slippers, rushed down stairs with said wheel gripped tight between thumb and finger, off with slippers, roughly put on my shoes, back down to my shed still safely gripping the wheel which I then glued back on to its place more securely this time!  I still can't believe that it had fell in to my trainers and remained there for both times of taking them off until I turned in. Great relief as I would have had to make do and find a suitable one or pair  as replacements but they wouldn't be the same.  

Drama over and tonight I will start with decals...:idea:

• Like 1

Not done anything to it this evening. But I have been studying some excellent photos of the subject on line and I see that the eyebrow windows are no longer seen! Makes life easier for me. So all I need do to he kit is sand them over carefully avoiding the main cockpit windows . And then, paint a bit of white to the areas.  Maybe I'll get a start on the decals tomorrow night...??

• Like 1