Spitfire Mk. XVI

Moss%20Spit16%20LeftFrontHigh2-L.jpg

Moss%20Spit16%20Right2-L.jpg

Moss%20Spit16%20AboveLeftRear2-L.jpg

Moss%20Spit16%20RightRear2-L.jpg

Moss%20Spit16%20Left2-L.jpg

This is my second build of the wonderful Eduard 1:48 late Merlin Spitfire series. This time I used the Mk. IXe Weekend Edition kit to replicate an early Mk. XVI. Although I had purchased a replacement resin cowl and wheels, I ended up using the kit items, so the only aftermarket stuff is an Eduard Zoom PE cockpit set for instrument panel, seat belts and other details. Paints are Model Master enamels. Decals are from the Xtradecal Mk. XVI sheet. Markings are for a plane piloted by R. D. "Dagwood" Phillip of 416 Sqn. RCAF in Belgium, December 1944. I didn't discover until after the entire project was completed that Xtradecals got the serial number wrong: it should be SM331. If I feel especially ambitious at some point, I may try to fix it, at least on the port side.

Cheers,

Pip

Edited by Seawinder
  • Like 27

Very neat and clean Spitfire, apart from the lettering and D-day markings looking just like she's about to be pushed out from the Castle Bromwich main doors!

The drooped elevators do add a sense of life to her, although some discreet weathering might usefully add some more… ;-)

Nice job!

Incidentally, here's a website with lot of interesting of period photos from the Castle Bromwich factory:

http://spitfiresite.com/2012/07/castle-bromwich-spitfire-and-lancaster-factory-photos.html

Kind regards,

Joachim