Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

DenPhill

Hi all

I’m building the Airfix Phantom FG1 but will be building an R.A.F. version, 1974, 43 Squadron aircraft.

I need help with the rear tail slats: Remove? Fill in? Or keep? Airfix also supply two parts for the underneath centre wing. One part has what looks like a strengthening frame running across it, maybe added on later versions. Does anyone know which is right for the early R.A.F. aircraft?

I’ve had a quick search for this question elsewhere on the site but failed to find anything.

Any help with these questions will be much appreciated in advance.

Greg

P.S. Sorry about the poor photo, I did try to rotate it but I'm stupid. 

DSC_0004_zpswkifi2om.jpg

• Like 1

43 Squadron's FG. 1s had the slatted tailplanes like their FAA counterparts.  For the period that you're looking at the early, plain underwing parts should be used: the strengthening straps were introduced later in the type's life as further fatigue problems manifested themselves, particularly amongst the FGR. 2 fleet, many of which had operated with mud-moving units in RAF Germany so had spent more time down amongst the weeds rather than in smoother, high altitude air.  I haven't seen my Airfix Phantom yet, but you may need to remove any mounded-in reinforcement plates under the outer wing panels for your early example.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for Scimitar. And thanks stever219 especially the removal of the outer plates. There are some good films on the early RAF phantoms by joluqa on YouTube which have been very helpful.