Airfix D.H. Mosquito, 1/48

Artie

Good evening all......a good friend of mine have given me this old Airfix kit. Despite some minor building already done, the kit is complete. What dou you think about the kit?? Is it accurate..??? I love those old kits, and this one even comes with that particular smell after a thirty years storage in a XVIII century old cottage....

Best regards...

7100mosquito.JPG

• Like 1

In short: more accurate but less refined than the 90s Tamiya kit. Better shape but the surface detail is raised. Biggest issue in my opinion is the complete lack of detail in the wheel wells. Other than that, a gem. One of Airfix' best efforts.

• Like 1

well.....I've got the Tamiya and Revell kits, and they're true gems...this one came for free, and will build it anyway....the lack of whell well detail is amazing....some evergreen stock and lead wire, and maybe can dress that area up....

The raised detail shouldn't be a problem...

Thanks a lot....

• Like 1

The Airfix kit is about twenty years older than Tamiya's and, as has already been mentioned, is more accurate in outline than the latter and is still an enjoyable build.  True it lacks wheel well and bomb bay detail but it features the raised spar caps of aircraft fitted for a variety of underwing stores.  Creation of some wheel well detail isn't beyond the capabilities of an average modeller (there really isn't a lot in there) but the bomb bay is a bit more of an adventure: if you've also got the B/PR. XVI kit there are parts in there that can be used as patterns to create the basic bay for the Mk. VI, but you're on your own when it comes to the cannons, their mountings and ammunition tanks.  Just build it and have some fun, I would!

PS: there are plenty of aftermarket decal sheets too if neither of the kit options floats your boat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stever219 said:

PS: there are plenty of aftermarket decal sheets too if neither of the kit options floats your boat

Well, the kit provided decals are not so unattractive......they represent a RCAF example, with a "redneck" carrying a shotgun.....quite nice to my eyes...and afterall, I'm looking for a straight OOB build..Even thinking about seating the small guys in place...!!!

Cheers....

• Like 1

I've done one of these and got 3 more in the stash.

raised detail,is not a problem as no panel lines on the fuselage and wings are easily done as apart from the inspection panels.  I found the cockpit detail pretty good for a 1978 kit :)

one thing - undercarriage - if you're building with gear lowered be careful.  I built mine without the engine nacelles (including undercarriage) until the final stage.  It's fine once done but not sure it would survive masking/painting/weathering if it were added as the instructions would have you do (mine needed no filler).  The mounting points for the gear legs are OK but not great and it ends up being quite heavy .....

other than that, sit back, relax and enjoy some old school airfix greatness 👍

BTW you should google black rufe - quite some history :)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1