Gloster Javelin FAW.9, XH905/'E', No. 5 Squadron, RAF Geilenkirchen, 1963

A last minute decision to use the kit decals after the Model Alliance set on eBay crept beyond £12! The kit decals were slightly cracked through age, but fortunately didn't break up in the water.

After serving with 25 sqn, XH905 flew in 33 sqn markings until November 1962 when the unit was renumbered 5 sqn and moved to Geilenkirchen in Germany. It was based here until 1966 when the Javelin wing disbanded. It's remarkable how short the service lives of some front line fighters were in those days!

I built this one OOB apart from adding the tiny aerial on the tailplane, and painting the control panels as the decals didn't include any. Colours are satin DSG spray, Tamiya XF-81 green and silver spray from Halfords (!). The kit was generally good apart from excessive flash on some sprues, but fitted together reasonably well for the most part, I just needed a lot of filler for the wing roots. 

So here she is, Javelin FAW.9 XH905 of 5 squadron ...

I'd love to get better at this (more realistic looking models), so all comments and ideas for improvement welcome!

scghox.jpg

24yyg6o.jpg

5k4tft.jpg34y3ceu.jpg

2hy0ya.jpg

2ikfazs.jpg

2n6gmqs.jpg

mh3xuu.jpg

• Like 22

Thanks chaps! It was an old kit and just built oob, so probably quite basic, but it does give the overall 'look' of a Javelin. I have an Airfix one to build so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Has anyone built the Mistercraft FAW.7? 

• Like 1

That has come up really well, something to be proud of. I was hoping you might have been the one who bid sniped me for those decals 15 seconds before the auction finished, I went to £16.35. :( , I was after them for the 11 Sqn markings. Oh well, maybe Airfix will bring a 1/72 kit out & then that sheet might see a re-release. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That has come up really well, something to be proud of. I was hoping you might have been the one who bid sniped me for those decals 15 seconds before the auction finished, I went to £16.35. :( , I was after them for the 11 Sqn markings. Oh well, maybe Airfix will bring a 1/72 kit out & then that sheet might see a re-release. :)

Steve.

Thanks! Haha were we bidding against each other!? Sorry you didn't win either, it wasn't me. If I'd got them I could have cut out and sent you the 11 sqn ones. Annoying that isn't it, last second gazzumping! 😡 

Would be nice to see a new release Javelin, maybe an earlier mark with the 'pen nib' tailpipes. Anyone from Airfix ever read these threads!? 😂

• Like 1

That looks like a Dragmaster to me. Very nicely done, too.

I have no aid to offer re making it 'more realistic'. I gave up on that particular endeavour a number of years ago and am now content if I get all the bits in the right places and the colour some approximation of right.

• Like 3

A very nice effort Sir on a very old kit. The shape is good and also the "sit" of the plane. With a couple of Firestreak missiles fitted and after market bang seats it would look even more tasty. Keep up the great work as I love to see the old kits being built and I have a few Frog and Matchbox kits in my stash. Cheers mate.

albamac(frustrated Norseman).:rage::penguin:

PS: On my workbench is a Frog Vampire FB5 but would like to try a Javelin sometime. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, albamac said:

A very nice effort Sir on a very old kit. The shape is good and also the "sit" of the plane. With a couple of Firestreak missiles fitted and after market bang seats it would look even more tasty. Keep up the great work as I love to see the old kits being built and I have a few Frog and Matchbox kits in my stash. Cheers mate.

albamac(frustrated Norseman).:rage::penguin:

PS: On my workbench is a Frog Vampire FB5 but would like to try a Javelin sometime. 

There's quite a few of these Novo Javelins on eBay, definitely worth a look! I might try a Vampire myself actually, that's a good shout.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, great to see the finished product, and good to know that the old decal sheet still works!

Sorry to trawl this up months later 

Scratch that... I'm not sorry at all!

The Javelin definitely deserves it.

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1