Wallace and Gromit (Top Bun Van )

Hi Guys.

I have been asked start up a build thread by a very good friend of mine, with my build of the Top Bun van by Airfix.

I have already made the Anti pesto van and I wanted to add the Top bun Van to my collection.

I have loads of projects on the go, one of which is a millennium falcon studio scale, yes yes it is the deagostini one, but with loads of differences.

I have found a company called Shapeways which do 3D printing and I have bought loads of stuff for the Falcon, but also i have found some parts for the Top Bun Van also.

There is a gentleman on there who has made loads of stuff for the Airfix van for both the Anti pesto and the Top Bun Van.

Here is a link to the guys shop if anyone is interested?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kenneyseven

This will be a long build as I do have other projects on the go, and trying to get them all done for the NATS this year.

and also because ive asked the designer to build some extra bits for the van, so this will take time for him to do this also.

So anyway i hope you all will be very interested in what comes up next, so keep tuned and please check out this guys shop, its AWSOME 

pat_o_cakes_patisserie

• Like 6

Have been thinking of doing this one too. Only thing that's stopped me so far is the decals. What's your plan for them?

Great link for detail parts, thanks for that. Will be watching with interest.

Edited by stringbag54
wrong font

Thank you guys for all your interest 

im working on the decals problem, but I have loads to do before I start to panic on that one.

Firstly I plucked up the courage to cut off the top of the van

to fit the top bun roof you just need to cut the roof off where the water gully is

i have the roof of the van all fitted and glued in place. 

40139954631_7c009efa92_b.jpg

The first design of the roof from Shapeways had to be adjusted at the front. 

The corners were pointed so I had to sand them so they were rounded. Also the lines for the sunroof are to far forward. 

I contacted the designer and he has made adjustments. So if you order the new style roof it should fit on with out any adjustments. 

25268132797_0b59c8b424_b.jpg

the back two corners needed a little adjustment but I’m guessing that this has been changed also on the new design 

40107198592_911d052a1f_b.jpg

Now I have that all glued and shaped I have started to move on to the next step (the wall).

in the kit the wall is to far backwards and if you watch any of the films you will see that the wall sits just level with the B post. 

Becasue i have loads of things to build this year for the NATS I’ve asked this guy if he could make a modified wall that will sit in the correct position and will meet up into the new van roof. Also to design a new floor for the back 

that’s all for now guys

• Like 5

Hi just a quick post

ive just ordered some more stuff from Shapeways 

its pretty much everything apart from the modified wall and the rear floor 

i have ordered 

air vent for the roof

MUTT radio

Toater and toast that goes under the radio

flyig A with wipers and other stuff

gearshift

Hand brake

Door cards

seat MOD

speedo 

i have my son for the week (excellent) so modeling will commence on the following weekend 

so I thought that if I order all this stuff ready for the weekend 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

just a quick update. My son has gone back to his mothers unfortunately, so the build bench is open for business again

i am still waiting for the parts to be made. Three of the parts Shapeways didn’t like so the designer had to make a few changes and also he has made a new floor addition 😆

So just to keep you guys interested I have made a start on the floor

38568558400_37be8da360_b.jpg

So this in the floor that we all know and love. Because I’m. Fitting the wall in the correct place and changing the seats I have to remove the stock rails. And also. Fill in the handbrake hole also

40379498871_b09653630c_b.jpg

one side done 

39482151435_600a838580_b.jpg

All done and holes filled and sanded

i am wanting to crack on with this build for you guys so you won’t lose interest but I don’t want to do to much until the parts arrive 

that said my bench is full of models to be built this year so it’s not like I haven’t got anything to do

please guys at anytime you have any tips or tricks or suggestions please drop me a line 

I don’t class myself as an expert modeller 

laters 👋 

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 1

Hey up lad. all my parts have arrived 🤪

Come on boy get the kettle on and lets get cracking so on with the floor then, there’s a good pouch.

So this is the floor extension  

40383180232_d4f6acc3ab_b.jpg

25555623277_c071a5c75c_b.jpg

Here is the link for the floor I have just gone for the standard white strong and flexible option

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y7VYLM88W/1-12-airfix-austin-a35-raised-floor-extension?optionId=64804121

And it fits like so

39716214864_0766cc2b1b_b.jpg

39531020245_b0af7b3804_b.jpg

and as you can see it buts up agents the wall nicely 

40426809661_1947156d10_b.jpg

i have glued the extension to the original floor only as I want to spray this separately to the van floor. 

So this bit is finished really, nice an simple 

the next bit I will cover will be the seat conversion 

I have my boy with me this weekend but if I can get time I will get the two seats done 

stay tuned and don’t forget the cheese and crackers

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 1

Hey Ian - it's good to see you continue to make progress. Getting rid of those sink marks in the floor pan is never a favourite task on any of my Beyond the Box builds but it is just a question of getting out the abrasive papers and rubbing away. 

Cheers

Richard

7 hours ago, spruecutter said:

Hey Ian - it's good to see you continue to make progress. Getting rid of those sink marks in the floor pan is never a favourite task on any of my Beyond the Box builds but it is just a question of getting out the abrasive papers and rubbing away. 

Cheers

Richard

I’m guessing with the amount of vans you have made you know exactly how many sink marks there are on this model 🤔

Ok guys, next step is the seat conversion.

25555623247_1c1a3f5fc6_b.jpg

This is the conversion, you get two of these, I ordered them in the white strong and flexible option

but I would recommend another finish as this plastic is very hard to sand. And you can’t sand these very well as I have tried 

but on the other hand they might turn out ok when painted as wallace was an inventor and used any old scrap he could find it shouldn’t matter much. I hope.

26555779798_13dbea5931_b.jpg

So firstly you have to cut off the seat legs that were dreadful anyway and then you can glue the mod on, and it fits quite nicely 

39716214764_ed71a0650b_b.jpg

The back needs filling if you want, you will never see it as the seat buts up against the wall, I filled mine with some putty and then some Grey primer ready for some Alclad 👍

40439598072_a7de0f0e32_b.jpg

40439600082_7a06628aef_b.jpg

25611814027_2dd541df00_b.jpg

So they are all done now just waiting for them to dry and then I will get some bronze and copper finishies and some pigments for the base and a nice Color for the seat with a wash for good measure.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z93FQD8SE/1-12-airfix-austin-a35-w-g-seat-supports-upgrade?optionId=64653896

this is the link for the parts

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 1

I’m in for this one too. I gave up on my anti pesto van as I couldn’t work with that weird plastic. Wallace and Grommit were were made of an even more peculiar substance!

Trevor

oh aye ”cracking build”!

2 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I’m in for this one too. I gave up on my anti pesto van as I couldn’t work with that weird plastic. Wallace and Grommit were were made of an even more peculiar substance!

Trevor

oh aye ”cracking build”!

Hi max it’s not the airfix plastic it’s the material they use at Shapeways 

• Thanks 1

Now on with the handbrake 

Link to part is

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XGXT7CV2J/1-12-airfix-austin-a35-van-hand-brake?optionId=64665362

again I went for the black strong and flexible option but on this part I don’t think it will matter to much

40440260072_6df4a8e208_b.jpg

im not sure what colour this is in the film but all you need to do is drill a whole in the Center of the drive shaft tunnel and bobs your uncle.

This is the correct position of the handbrake in the film. However the real van is on the side near the door as per the kit,  I owned one of these vans and I know so much about them. Hence doing these models mean a lot to me 🤣

26612327118_8dfbcfaa37_b.jpg

as you see the handbrake sits perfectly. I will have to watch the film and see what colour it is meant to be.  That’s a shame 😝

the back rear rear floor is just black AK primer. It has a great finish and for the cream i used 

40440613672_99108b6454_b.jpg

its an an off White more than a cream than white. 

And just a few photos of where we are for end of play tonight.

38672846720_f63779756f_b.jpg

26612327088_10e4641452_b.jpg

25612365777_c5fe9b94ab_b.jpg

So far I’m happy with all the parts

i think i would go for another finish but I’m on a tight budget so I went for the cheapest option.

The rear floor is excellent and fits very well

thr seat mod again is very well designed, they Do make the seats a little taller but more realistic to the film

40426810081_96efd7a3fd_b.jpg

the handbrake is very cool. And to top it of the guy from Shapeways is very helpful 

i have given him loads of input and together we have changed a few things and he is more than welcome to ideas. 

• Like 2

Re the various plastics available from Shapeways I usually go for the Frosted Plastic, either Ultra or Extreme Detail for smaller parts [e.g.1/24 wheels]. I have had experience with the strong and flexible on a larger part and it took much sanding, many coats of hi-build primer and filler to achieve a decent surface. I have yet to try the High Definition Black Acrylate which looks to have a smooth finish and high detail but this is at the more expensive end of the plastics range. Of course cost does come into the choice of material.

Hope this insight is of assistance. 

1 hour ago, mbdesignart said:

Re the various plastics available from Shapeways I usually go for the Frosted Plastic, either Ultra or Extreme Detail for smaller parts [e.g.1/24 wheels]. I have had experience with the strong and flexible on a larger part and it took much sanding, many coats of hi-build primer and filler to achieve a decent surface. I have yet to try the High Definition Black Acrylate which looks to have a smooth finish and high detail but this is at the more expensive end of the plastics range. Of course cost does come into the choice of material.

Hope this insight is of assistance. 

Yes I totally agree 

cost is the big key at the moment and also as the model is a cartoon based, quality isn’t an issue really as this poor little van is rather beaten up. 

I’ve bought other items from Shapeways for the star wars falcon in higher detail and it looks great 

but a point well made made for the other guys To know 

Edited by ian wallace

Just finished the first finish of paint on the front seats. 

Once the paint has dried I will mess them up abit with some pastels etc

40573634261_cc5f87395b_b.jpg

40531072122_afcbb8e5c4_b.jpg

25703209297_738709e616_b.jpg

the bottom of the seat is correct per the film (the curse of the wererabbit). 

There is no clip in (matter of loaf of death). So I’m hoping that wallace didn’t change the materials he used. 

• Like 1

I have now finished the seats for now. 

I have tried to make he edges of the seat look worn and then applied a dirt wash over the top. I might change the look of them slightly when the inside of the van is finished. With the base of the seats I applied a dirt wash and again removed the access with a Cotten bud. 

39908789364_632450bf5a_b.jpg

39908789064_4f5e009edc_b.jpg

40577366482_d6c24b8515_b.jpg

And finally this is what they look like glued in place. 

Next is the handbrake, I have watched the film again and there is no shot of the handbrake so I watched the curse of the were rabbit and there is a scene there showing the handbrake the same as the body colour with a black end to it. 

• Like 2

Handbrake and doors

so I have now painted the handbrake and made a start on the doors

Here is a link for the handbrake 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XGXT7CV2J/1-12-airfix-austin-a35-van-hand-brake?optionId=64665362

25806768277_b39875329f_b.jpg

so I have painted this in the off white colour to match the body colour then added a wash and then some dirt. 

38867358870_18dca44188_b.jpg

all in place. 

I have noticed that the Shapeways guy has now designed the foot pedals. Unfortunately my pockets are a little empty at the moment so I’m going to skip these for now and make a start on the doors

Hopefully by the time I have some pocket money he would have designed the wall for me. 👍

anyway moving on

so this is the standard door and I have removed the handle and the hinges and filled up the rust on the bottom also

26806654228_2e7c9923bc_b.jpg

On the inside I have had to remove and make flush the door handle and the mount where the hinge was

39782804135_7ceceac4e1_b.jpg

the door parts are as follows

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FRKLC3SCU/1-12-airfix-austin-a35-van-door-panels?optionId=64665710

And they look like this

40635928142_34c48c0a66_b.jpg

I have glued them on with some epoxy and there are some gaps around the sides but nothing that a little green puttty can’t fix, after fitting a light coat of gray primer 

40635926842_97acb18640_b.jpg

before and after (back)

39967808814_40b195a845_b.jpg

before and after (front)

i will do the same to the other door and then I will drill a whole for the new door handles

on the rear door I have made a start and sanded the door handle off and filled the rust spots. 

I will cover this later when I have finished the other doors

im hopping this is all of interest to you all?

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 1

Door handles 

the link to the handles are as follows

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4NLWNPCVA/1-12-airfix-austin-a35-van-upgrade-door-handles?optionId=64660502

And they look like this

26807656118_cfdf1f6b99_b.jpg

i went for the basic version but I would advise to get another finish as these handles are to delicate to sand

it’s very simple just drill a small hole and glue in place

compare these to the original handles and they just bring the door to life 

here are are some photos of the handles on the doors I will not be painting them or glueing them onto the door as yet

38868319850_ce081f43d1_b.jpg

39968801544_322680cd4f_b.jpg

26807656978_f2c75ffd2b_b.jpg

38868326540_98f4cef503_b.jpg

40678817291_a620d13137_b.jpg

I hope you enjoy the photos

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 3