RAF Ordnance of the 60s & 70s in 1/72

1903flight

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

They could also carry three rocket pods under the centreline pylon - that's 488 rockets if needed!

Yep - posing shot for Publicity :-

J3JhA1d.jpg

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice shot, that was the configuration 001 flew the 1977 display season in, along side a totally clean 110

I think most of the four plus pod layouts were for displays etc.

27545516_10159884553010576_5039707145769

I'm guessing that this Phantom is one of the YF-4Ms (XT852 or '853) on company armament trials in the 'States, going from he FG.1 style nose gear door.

Edited by 71chally

23 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Some stuff

p6G36z.jpg

p6GFHc.jpg

p6GjIW.jpg

John

The top picture is not a 155 pod it looks like  a Matra 100mm rocket pod.  probably an export fit on canberra look at the text on the fuselage and pylon.(spanish?).

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

The top picture is not a 155 pod it looks like  a Matra 100mm rocket pod.  probably an export fit on canberra.

Selwyn

I agree and it appears to be on an export aircraft, Venezuela, Peru or another Spanish speaking, South American country - "Tornillos" is spanish for screw.  

Dennis

.......and the bottom shot shows a Microcell pod on RNZAF B(I)12 NZ6108 

Edited by sloegin57
spelling

10 hours ago, Selwyn said:

RAF 155  reusable rocket pod carried 18 x 68mm SNEB rockets metal construction has a black cone shaped head, is fitted with a fibreglass heat shield  when live HEAT rockets are loaded as in this image.http://www.funkymonkeyprops.com/page15.htm

RAF 116  Disposable rocket pod  ( Designed to fire out and then jettison from pylon) 19 x 68mm HEAT rockets expanded foam/metal composite construction with dome shaped frangible nose, for war use only. Couldnt find an image on the net but it looks very much like this US podhttps://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/memorix/8cbc7fa4-1b2a-967a-e38c-36d271056b25

RN  2" rocket pod  36 X 2" rockets  (these are NOT SNEB rockets ) metal construction has a  cone shaped head looks a bit like a larger 115 pod. Was used by the RAF at one point,   seen loaded on canberra interdictors wing pylons  and was used on Buccaneer when the type was first adopted by the RAF.  Used by GR3 Harriers in the Falklands as the  RAF 155 SNEB launchers were not sufficiently EMC protected from Ships radar emissions. https://www.flickr.com/photos/47676646@N08/8727475204

Selwyn

Thanks.  helped a lot.

David

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Apologies for dragging back an old thread, however I was just wondering if anyone could help with the dimensions and colours for the Microcell Rocket Pods as fitted to RNZAF Canberra’s during the Indonesian Confrontation. I suspect the RAF used similar / same stock so would imagine these to be the same. Are these available to source as AM or donor kit items, or what’s the best way to scratch a set? 

Cheers and all assistance gratefully  received.. Dave 

25 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Much appreciated John, I didn’t know it was also known as a LAU-60 as well. Cheers.. Dave

A LAU 60 was  a US Pod that carries 2.75" rockets.

The Microcell was a UK pod that carried 2" rockets.

The two pods basically work the same way, the nose cone is frangible and breaks up on firing.

Sorry I have no information on the size of a microcell launcher.

Selwyn

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

A LAU 60 was  a US Pod that carries 2.75" rockets.

The Microcell was a UK pod that carried 2" rockets.

The two pods basically work the same way, the nose cone is frangible and breaks up on firing.

Sorry I have no information on the size of a microcell launcher.

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn, I was 99% sure that would be the case. 

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2018 at 1:20 PM, Selwyn said:

A bit OTT I think. A simple vernier caliper will do!

Selwyn

(Hiding behind the setee and giggling!)

Hi there Selwyn

I'm just following but long ago evolved from a Vernier manual rule to a digital one

Cheers

Armando