"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

to sand it all off and re-instate the framework with trimmed plasticard

:violin::violin::violin:

Good start! Hope you will not involve tools like an axe or a chain saw.:whistle:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

SIHRSCFs rule OK

Sure do.:worthy:

9 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

A wonderful project for an equally wonderful reason Johnny, I shall be following this one from the corner of the bar. Pop another barrel on will you? 

Now, these SIHRSC. Will there be a thread in chat for us owners to post pics of our favourite tools? (Stand down CedB).

Or perhaps an exclusive club with a discrete badge to be worn at all meetings and shows?

Hop on dear sir. As for “Tool Club” I can’ talk about it. :lol:

8 hours ago, rob85 said:

This will be a beast! Really looking forward to watching you work you magic mate.

Rob

Thanks, I’ll need a deep top hat and a rather large rabbit for this one. :whip:

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: G'day, Johnny Lancaster!

Lots of aftermarket bits to go with your build. No *coughs*Belcher Bits engine nacelle replacements?*coughs* :coolio:

Following this one as well.

Cheers, my mate.

Unc2

Yes lots of bits. I think I have enough without Belcher bits too. ^_^

5 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

I'm in for this one. Got a replacement canopy from Revell last week so can crack on with my 1/72 Lanc.

All that lovely PE, hope the carpet monster isn't hungry!

Pete

Welcome. I looked but couldn’t find your WIP do you have a thread? Yes the PE is going to take some time. I’ve cagedcthd carpet beast, it’s Zero I need to watch out for.:dog:

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

When I realised you were looking at the BBMF Lancaster, I remembered I had some photos from a visit to the museum at Conningsby, Lincolnshire, back in 2016. A great place to visit, by the way. They had on display there a 1:24 scale model of the aircraft... now THAT was a beast :) :

28359421699_ab24276aab_b.jpg

I think you mentioned you were toying with the idea with having your model with an engine 'out', or at any rate uncovered? On the day I visited, they had it in the hangar with the engines exposed. Notwithstanding other people may well have better photos (photography ain't my thing, especially with the rubbishy old phone I was using at the time), I'd be more than happy to share the least rubbish of mine if it would be of help.

Nice 1/24. Thanks for the offer of pics. I might just take you up on that offer if I indeed do have an engine out. :D

• Like 4

Thanks for all the kind words you lot. Judging by tonight this is going to be fun and slow.  This was waiting for me when I got back from work so I had to give it a go.

28361825299_7e944890a2_b.jpg

but first I had to complete some SIHRSC action.

39430380514_5931275085_b.jpg

Our little friend was overseeing proceedings. I used @CedBs technique of no pressure and soon enough......

40142011921_3676c8dd13_b.jpg

Next up was the new tool! :penguin:

25270182497_d93bd94fb9_b.jpg

this took 25 minutes!!!:o and looks a bit long. 

26268303848_faa89b333b_b.jpg

ahh it was too long. A bit of back folding sorted that out. Hopefully I should speed up at this now I know what I’m doing.

My lines are a bit off so I’ll build the racks first and make to suit.

39243127945_bc88cef525_b.jpg

to be fair from here you can’t see all that work. From the side however she looks better than those pegs. :penguin:

39243129355_8d7ccde9c7_b.jpg

The bombs Tamiya supply are meant to be 250 ones but they look more like 500 bombs to me looking at this pic.

28361825509_f043fa3eb8_b.jpg

Im planning on adding the cookie in the middle so I think I’ll go with this layout.

25270182127_af99946f0f_b.jpg

ok so I forgot to snap that layout but it’s like that one but three 500s front and back and a BIG one in the middle. There are two 250s to but I’ll leave those as I don’t have them.  Seems fair. 

Mom now beginning to re-instate the cross beams to hold the racks. Cut plasticard. Not bad really.

39243129305_c99d0760c4_b.jpg

Well that’s yer lot. Thanks for dropping by.

nearly Friday. :giles:

Happy Modelling you lot.

Johnny.

• Like 20

'Spadgent: Lust for Etch'

At a thread near you...

Handsome work me bucko - with a sihrsc and a bendy-slab there ain't going to be any stopping you now. 

Crack on MacDuff! :thumbsup:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

to be fair from here you can’t see all that work.

Don't forget that when she's all together you'll hardly be able to see any of it......:whistle: :winkgrin:

Great first bending attempt though Johnny, onwards & upwards now!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yeah, but he'll know.....

And we'll know.....

And he'll know, that we know...

And we'll know that....

Gets confusing, don't it Rob?!!!:rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm checking in from British Columbia, Johnny. I built the Dam Busters version of this kit  in the mid 1980's( ugly black plastic back in the day) I have the regular bomber version in the stash ( ugly black plastic) and my wife's uncle was a navigator on these ( Mk II's) in the RCAF during the war...I would LOVE to find an old Paragon MkII conversion ........ I will follow along if you don't mind , with great interest, especially watching the Big Ed stuff......also the Belcher Bits engine up grade is worth it , Mike did a wonderful job on them.................. so I will belly up to the bar now.................................. who's round is it??

Jeff

• Like 2

@giemme @CedB @TheBaron @bbudde

Thanks guys! :penguin:

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Don't forget that when she's all together you'll hardly be able to see any of it......:whistle: :winkgrin:

Yes well... erm. Shush penfold. :P

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yeah, but he'll know.....

And we'll know.....

And he'll know, that we know...

And we'll know that....

Oh I know! ;)

3 hours ago, Biggu said:

I will follow along if you don't mind

More than happy to have you aboard. Hope you enjoy the build. :lol:

1 hour ago, Ossington said:

Are you going to raise the cockpit floor/bomb bay roof to the correct level? It would appear to be the key to getting the furniture right and allow a correctly sized cookie to fit.

https://imgur.com/a/jHz70

I wasn’t aware the floor/roof was at the wrong level. The pic looks like the kit. I’m not at the bench at the moment but I’m sure it’s fine. I’ll check up but it it’s going to be a royal pain then probably I’ll leave well alone. 

Johnny.

ps. Ok just checked. The height difference in scale is about 4mm. I have quite a bit to do already so I’ll probably leave it. I might fix the other bits though. I’ve just seen a pic with bombs four abreast. Gah!!!!:blink:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

How much did your PE tool set you back? I need one. 

It wasn’t the cheapest but I needed quite a big one so the 13cm one seemed a good deal £27.00 but shipping made it £30 Hitorex agents was the best price I found. Great piece of kit too. I really trust RP Toolz stuff since the punch. Hope that helps.

John

• Like 1

Looking at the pic of the runners I decided to rip em off and get some plastic strip. I think it was @perdu who mentioned Parabellum in Birmingham. I decided to pay a visit today to see what they had in stock. HOLY MOTHER MARY!  I don’t think my eyes were ready for such a shop. Needles to say I have my plastic strips and also my new LMS. :inlove:

I’m going to try and get the Lightning RFI done this weekend and fingers crossed more on the big un. 

• Like 4

It can hurt the unguarded eye Jonty, I hope you are feeling better now  :)

But it reminds me I need to get back there, I have a prize voucher to turn into magic from Nigel's cave

I drank the beer last year  ;)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

It can hurt the unguarded eye Jonty, I hope you are feeling better now  :)

But it reminds me I need to get back there, I have a prize voucher to turn into magic from Nigel's cave

I drank the beer last year  ;)

It’s a special place. I can’t stop thinking how much kit to life ratio that place must hold. :daydream:

• Like 1

My Dad used to flight test Lancasters working for Rolls Royce. Looks like the start of a great project! :popcorn:

Regards,

Adrian

(I just pulled my Airfix Lancaster out of the stash and counted how many racks they have across the bomb bay. Phew!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 09/02/2018 at 7:58 AM, AdrianMF said:

(I just pulled my Airfix Lancaster out of the stash and counted how many racks they have across the bomb bay. Phew!)

I take it it’s 3?

I have now seen picks of 4 abreast typically but I think they’re 250 ones. So either way it’s ok. :angel:

Well Friday evening started here.

39499198664_fa30db04b6_b.jpg

this didn’t bode well for a early RFI photo shoot of the frightening. Alas I was correct, next weekend for the win. :angel:

worry not weary traveler some work was carried out on the Lancaster.

The new evergreen strips were popped into place in the new sanded bay.

40177760292_44b8b2a51c_b.jpg

some on end some flat on for variation that I’m seeing in the photos.

25339377377_bb4c8142d0_b.jpg

I popped the middle section in to make me feel happy then created a bit of a bomb bay production line. See all those bits in the background. :tmi:

The strips got measured them placed.

39312859645_4fd3029157_b.jpg

looks like the neck of a guitar.

the racks started coming together.

26337979008_d773059d05_b.jpg

A few hours later , a fair few hours later we have twelve of the little b*ggers glued in place.

26337980398_4c3f02f207_b.jpg

looking good.:inlove:

The side panels are a bit of a pain to wangle together kind of a double fold.

39499198714_a74d6a403b_b.jpg

you bend the wires down first.

then bend ‘em back.

28430856379_213813f55a_b.jpg

do this three times and one side is done.

All the crocodile clips later and we’re left to dry.

40210465331_db909b4245_b.jpg

I had to take my eldest shopping today so not much else got done.

heres a closer pick of the side walls.

40178233932_62f7062448_b.jpg

Beginning to look worth the effort.:penguin:looking back at those old pegs I’m glad I cut them out. 

Right, that’s your lot. I know it’s only a small bit but my does it take forever. Hopefully I can move back onto the office soon. 

Hope you’re having a super weekend.

All the best chums.

Johnny Photo etch.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 26