"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

Hello spad,

Thank for pointing the camera window, I presume that each and every Lanc got that one...

I have my hands full with my 3 RFI's but today, I've a Lanc idea !

You are doing a pristine bomber, Is it her who has forgot a bomb in Berlin today ??

Hope that chaps will get it out whitout any damages....

This is a fear for us when we make researches on a bomber.... Was it empty ??

Because even a 70 years old bombs is still lacking any sens of humor !!

Great job my friend and always a pleasure to catch up with your thread !! Keep up that fine job !

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2018 at 11:46 PM, AdrianMF said:

Just got back from away and caught up. Congrats on the school, the Landie, the relocated window, the black black undercarriage, the weekend away... Did I miss anything? Looking superb.

Regards,

Adrian

No you got the lot. Thanks Ade. :giles:

On 18/04/2018 at 2:03 AM, Andwil said:

Good progress, but it is almost a shame to hide all that glorious internal detail.

Andrew

I know but there’s always the windows right. :)

On 18/04/2018 at 9:13 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

True - but think of all the glorious external treats we have to come

No pressure then. :D

On 19/04/2018 at 8:24 PM, keefr22 said:

Hope you don't mind Johhny Lanc, a poignant musical interlude....

Keith

No problem at all. 

On 19/04/2018 at 9:09 PM, Martian Hale said:

Excellent attention to detail Johnny.

Martian

Thanks kid. :guitar:

On 19/04/2018 at 9:37 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Fine work as ever Johnny and good save on the camera window. You just need to scratch build the camera now....:P

Oh and have a word with Tony (The Baron), I'm sure he can scratch build you some 1/48 film....

Thanks Tomo. I think the camera has been added in the PE if not. .... . Erm...... we can just imagine.  Yeah. Erm.... it’ll be fine. :penguin:

On 19/04/2018 at 9:49 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on the window fella coming together now.  Fantastic stuff. 

All the best 

Chris 

Why thankyou sir.;)

On 20/04/2018 at 5:57 AM, exdraken said:

Incredible dedication!

Was going through the pages in awe....

Thank you so much! :lol:

On 20/04/2018 at 9:49 AM, Philtheplanetinker said:

Have enjoyed reading through this thread, lovely work so far. She's gonna be awesome.

Thank you , I do hope so.

On 20/04/2018 at 12:33 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello spad,

Thank for pointing the camera window, I presume that each and every Lanc got that one...

I have my hands full with my 3 RFI's but today, I've a Lanc idea !

You are doing a pristine bomber, Is it her who has forgot a bomb in Berlin today ??

Hope that chaps will get it out whitout any damages....

This is a fear for us when we make researches on a bomber.... Was it empty ??

Because even a 70 years old bombs is still lacking any sens of humor !!

Great job my friend and always a pleasure to catch up with your thread !! Keep up that fine job !

Sincerely.

CC 

Concerning the camera window, I think so but I’m not sure.  Three RFIs!!! I’ll check those later on. You’ve got a reall move on on the modelling front. As for the bomb in Berlin, we had no news over here but when I searched. :analintruder:  we hear about 250 and 500 bombs over here but having an un-exploded 1200 Bomb :unsure: that’s a real nightmare. I think it got defused though.

i do have an update but I’m so tired I think I’ll post up tomorrow.

thanks guys for all the kind words. 

Just as a a heads up. Fitting that UC is a bit of a struggle.

Jont.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Scratch that. I thought it was Sunday. My old school chum has directed the new “Woman in white” on the beeb and I’d planned on watching it. I will be but when it’s on......tomorrow.  :lol: For now I’ll do a little update. :guitar:

So I made a mask using some Hasegawa French curve thingamajigs.

41607464291_fa9e7793f0_b.jpg

the span of the clear and solid parts was clear. No turning back now sooooo.

40897050284_c8b0c8b669_b.jpg

easier than I thought. :guitar:the solid parts are a doddle now so cutting and sanding later we have.

39799890250_861c7ec37f_b.jpg

I took all the masking off. Primed the clear bit and added a few shims here and there to fill the gaps. All in all not a bad fit.

39799886200_7fe46c5af0_b.jpg

thosevwith an eagle eye will see that from the top and bottom shot I have added another layer of glass to the camera widow to make it more flush and also a filler to the bomb bay where the fit was slightly off.

seen here from another angle.

40897049624_7fe46c5af0_b.jpg

While I was at it I drilled out these bits.

40715878905_35a9f387f7_b.jpg

there at the top.... :ninja:

the legs got a subtle “brown/black trouser technique” applied then mat coated.

26739871857_5cf5d2401c_b.jpg

now that’s better. Here in natural light.

26739868297_a33484f85e_b.jpg40715876365_0c7d1c8e68_b.jpg

with some chrome pen added to the shiny bits.  Now I was only talking on @TheBaron‘s thread earlier about instructions but Tamiya want you to add the UC to the upper wing then simply slide everything through the opening and glue.:lol::rofl: THAT is never going to happen. I ended up fitting the UC to the lower wing sections first, then attaching to the top wing. Even this was a real P.I.T.A as the fit is super tight and the locating pins just don’t want to fit as the same time. Eventually we got here.

26739869627_d241673843_b.jpg

That’s a lot of tape.

40715877605_d5fe46e9b0_b.jpg

and a lot of pegs. Even with such restraint we are still seeing gaps on the main nacelle.

40897048944_cc0cc3e870_b.jpg

I see sanding in my future! I’ll try and keep it to a minimum. Anyway eventually the other one got fitted and glued.

41607462701_246a125f96_b.jpg

this is taking up soooo much space! :huh: more tomorrow. Thanks for dropping by you lovely lot. Take care and Happy Modelling.

Johnny boy.

• Like 20

33 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Diffused??? Isn't that sort of what happens when they go off? :D

Nice work though!

Ian

Aaargh! That’s what happens to my spelling after beer and wine. Now corrected. :pie:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

A stonking piece of detail Johnny.

Agreed :clap:

And boy  - she looks huge even down to pieces! :frantic: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

As for the bomb in Berlin, we had no news over here but when I searched. :analintruder:  we hear about 250 and 500 bombs over here but having an un-exploded 1200 Bomb :unsure: that’s a real nightmare. I think it got diffused though.

Hello John, the anal intruder smiley is correct for these kind of things here and I love those kind of people called the "Kampfmittelräumdienst" for their professional work here on these things  Obviously as careful as a doctor at a colonoscopy. Last week a cookie was defused by them in Paderborn. In Berlin everything went right, but you have to be aware to walk over forgotten bombs, when you are in Germany. So I'm used to it in Münster, when I go into town. Hope they never get diffused by anything then! Cheers

• Like 6

Stonking work Jont - nice legs :)

Crikey, that shot with you holding the wing shows off the span really well. She's going to take pride of place... whether you like it or not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello John, the anal intruder smiley is correct for these kind of things here and I love those kind of people called the "Kampfmittelräumdienst" for their professional work here on these things  Obviously as careful as a doctor at a colonoscopy. Last week a cookie was defused by them in Paderborn. In Berlin everything went right, but you have to be aware to walk over forgotten bombs, when you are in Germany. So I'm used to it in Münster, when I go into town. Hope they never get diffused by anything then! Cheers

I though it was a “shocked” emoticon but what ever blows yer hair back. 

Anyone who’s job it is to defuse bombs must have balls of steel. Hats off to them.

there was a bomb here in Brum a few months ago that had to be detonated, terrible mess afterwards. I guess we both are living with the aftermath of past nightmares. :(  the diffuse / defuse error was a genuine mistake on my half. For some reason I was thinking about Diffusing a situation. Not spreading stuff around.

damn you red wine. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

there was a bomb here in Brum a few months ago that had to be detonated, terrible mess afterwards. I guess we both are living with the aftermath of past nightmares. :(  the diffuse / defuse error was a genuine mistake on my half. For some reason I was thinking about Diffusing a situation. Not spreading stuff around.

Something like this in Munich?

Cheers

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, bbudde said:

Something like this in Munich?

Cheers

I only recently looked into why the bombs didn’t go off while I was making my 1/24 Messerschmitt actually. Bloody terrifying. Lets get back to the little plastic versions eh. 

8 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Johnny, my mate! :worthy:

How are you doing? Your Lanc is turning okay.

One tune for you, your build and yer beautiful wife + Matilda. ;)

Cheers,

Unc2

Thanks unc, I think. ^_^

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

Thanks John.  Everything's fine here at the moment.

Good, good.  :D

• Like 1

Hey. Just before I settle down for dinner and wine. @TheBaron did something that made me want to do this.

26760989937_6cf81d1dd4_b.jpg

as I said, just for :poop:s and giggles but hoojamomma she’s big.

40918264594_b7bb02289f_b.jpg

really BIG! 

Hope you all all are having a lovely weekend.

take care y’all.

Johnny

• Like 20

On 22.4.2018 at 9:36 AM, The Spadgent said:

Lets get back to the little plastic versions eh. 

Yes, not so dangerous and irritating.

31189683_1917984954892004_86748249661470

or the USAF:whistle::whistle:

P.S.: That's a big one indeed and looking mighty on the desktop. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yes, not so dangerous and irritating.

31189683_1917984954892004_86748249661470

or the USAF:whistle::whistle:

P.S.: That's a big one indeed and looking mighty on the desktop. Cheers

Many years ago I served in HMS Boxer, and our first foreign port visit (1983, I think) was to Hamburg.  We picked up the Elbe pilot at about 2 a.m. and headed on up the river, aiming to reach the middle of Hamburg by about 9.  As we got into the river itself, there was a huge floodlit barge with a large crane on it coming the other way, very slowly, in the middle of the cleared channel.  The river pilot calmly informed us that it was carrying a 12,000 "Tallboy" bomb that had been found on the river bed, which they were taking [very carefully] out to sea before exploding it.  The river was rather tight, and for a few minutes the barge seemed to be heading straight for us.

Quartermaster (the sailor who steers) to Officer of the Watch (me): "Sir, do you think they've decided to give it back?"

How much we should all rejoice that we don't have to endure what our fathers and grandfathers did!

[And now back to the beautiful Lancaster...]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 16

Ah, Karma is a b*tch!. Today in the afternoon they found a british 250kg bomb  here in the ground of a primary school while working there  1 km away from my home. 300m radius will be evacuated surely. If they increase it to  1 km , then I will have to leave here also at 7 pm or so , when they will start the defusing normally. All is quite at the moment. So everything is cool (geschmeidig) here at the moment.

http://www.wn.de/Muenster/3266323-Behoerde-bleibt-telefonisch-erreichbar-Polizeipraesidium-nach-Bombenfund-evakuiert

Och, iss' doch scheisse!

Sorry, John to hijack your thread again with these kind of things. Cheers

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Ah, Karma is a b*tch!. Today in the afternoon they found a british 250kg bomb  here in the ground of a primary school while working there  1 km away from my home. 300m radius will be evacuated surely. If they increase it to  1 km , then I will have to leave here also at 7 pm or so , when they will start the defusing normally. All is quite at the moment. So everything is cool (geschmeidig) here at the moment.

http://www.wn.de/Muenster/3266323-Behoerde-bleibt-telefonisch-erreichbar-Polizeipraesidium-nach-Bombenfund-evakuiert

Och, iss' doch scheisse!

Sorry, John to hijack your thread again with these kind of things. Cheers

We get the same here Benedikt, where they dredged the harbour and deep water channel in Portsmouth, they found a load of bombs from WW 2.

It`s just one of those facts that 70 odd years afterwards they still find un-exploded ordinance in both countries.

Simon.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

It`s just one of those facts that 70 odd years afterwards they still find un-exploded ordinance in both countries.

Yep Simon and you go/drive by  along day by day for years without really thinking about it. Luckily, but you have this somewhere in your mind somewhere. But I trust those people of the "Kampfmittelräumdienst". Otherwise I will here a bang later on. Cheers

• Sad 1

The one here was defused at 20:43 pm. Thank you "Kampfmittelräumdienst" again here. Great and lucky guys today. Till the next time. But not on this thread. Thanks Mr. H. :poop:to remind me of: "Reap what you sow" or "Karma is a b*tch" on this part of the german history here again today !

Thanks John,  for your patience for  going  a bit off topic today . It has to be sometimes here.

Back to your beautiful Lancaster again.  Cheers

• Like 3

Hello Spad,

Is that big ??

OooooKaaay, Why not a 1/72 B-52 to put it aside ???

Sure You did great ! When I winged mine for test, Mrs CC get in the kitchen and just ask "Where are you going to expose this ??

On that same day the Frightening and the Phantom were on the table too....

No more comments...

About the drift, it's spring, bombs are blooming too, they found one last month in Namur

Not unusual, I dig for the whole Aircraft...;)

Glad that everything went right in MÛnster too...

Have a nice modelling time, I'm back to evening work week :worry:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4