"To Remember The many" The Tamiya Lancaster 1/48

What a perfect reason for tacling this monster Johnny,look's superb with all those extras too,I'll be dropping inon progress!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

For some reason, my mind wandered off at a slight tangent -

Realised there's but 25 years between your previous -but-one Handley Page sticks n canvas string bag and this magnificent beast!

Incredible wasn't it?! But maybe even more amazing was there was only 11 years between the first flights of Avro's Lancaster & the mighty Vulcan....!!

Keith

• Like 3

19 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Johnny, with PA474 being BBMF, you could do worse than quote the Nav. on the poppy drop 28-06-2012, the day the

Bomber Command memorial was unveiled. When clearing for take off the comment to ATC when asked how many on board was "10 POB (people on board) 55574 souls"

About covers it.................

Paul

Perfect sentiment. 

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I’ll Take my seat at the bar :popcorn:

Nice to have you along for the ride.:D

17 hours ago, krow113 said:

Good thing you started with the seats ,the crew will need somewhere to sit while you work through alla that p/e!

I might build myself a 1:1 scale cushion and get comfy myself. B)

13 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in Johnny - great story and looking forward to this one, a lot :)

Thanks Ced, great to have you around me mon. 

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'll tag along Johnny, if you don't mind? :)

Cheers,

Stew

More than welcome sir.

11 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Absolutely in for this one, Johnny. My grandfather was an air gunner in a Lancaster squadron, and my other grandfather was ground crew, while my grandmother's first husband was one of the 55,574. So the heavies have a special meaning for me.

I hope I can do her justice in honour of your family. Hats doffed. 

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Not my usual area of interest, but with a background story like that ... I'm in too :popcorn:

BTW, she's HUGE! 

Ciao

Biggest one I’ve seen all year. ;) seriously  though, it’s great to have you along. 

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

A worthy tribute, so I'm in too.

John

Great! Welcome aboard.

9 hours ago, isaneng said:

Not easy to put words to this, so I'll just sit at the back. Thanks Johnny.

It’s my pleasure Rick, I just hope She turns out how I hope she will. I hope you enjoy the build. :)

9 hours ago, bbudde said:

As I said before I'm in here for that. I'm sure you willl do her justice as to the others. Looking forward to a PE/sctratch orgy here. Luckily there are many walkounds on the net for a closer liook (Prime Portal , etc.) Like that nose art very much although Ropey is my favourite. Cheers

And your one:

Thanks for the links. They will come in very handy.  “Scratch orgy” you say.:violin:

9 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I'm a Lancaster man through and through.

Phantom of the Ruhr is from my local airfield and I knew the skipper . . . .

37579506622_e1ddb70fa0.jpg

Officially there was only THREE bomb hook-up locations across the bomb-bay not four; Tamiya got that wrong.

Good Luck with the build, I shall be watching with great interest

Ian

Ooh thanks, I’ll look into that in a bit. Great to have you along too.

8 hours ago, Gorby said:

I would looooove to do this kit, but lack of work-space and lack of storage says 'NO'. So I'll tag along to build it vicariously through you, if you don't mind.

She’s too big for my cabinets too. I’ll sit her on top. Or on the roof.:winkgrin:

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !

Of course I'm in, and may be restart my own "Phantom of the Ruhr" She's a ton's up.

We already digged for 2 Lancasters here, the most moving was ED800.

If you're interested , I have 2 or 3 bits of another actual Lancaster,(serial PD Something, I will look further)  crashed in early 1945, no casualties in that one.

I can send you one to include it in your Lanc, I will do the same, the reason I picked up these little bits when the digging has occured.

Just let me Know !

Great idea for what will be a great build !

Sincerely.

CC

Wonderful to have you around CC. Are you serious about the bits of Lanc? I never thought about that but what an honour. If you’re sure I’ll message you my address. Have a think to make sure you’re sure and we can sort something out. :king:

7 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

I’m in, looking forward to this! 

So am I. Glad to have you along. 

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Excellent.

Just what we like to hear.

I'll just bag a really plush chair to one side and wish you the very best of fortune on this. Johnny. :yahoo: 

Thanks Tony. I still don’t think I’ll beat a Hundred pages. (Then again) :innocent:

6 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

I’m in - in fact I wouldn’t miss it for the world, awesome subject, great tribute and a very capable modeller to do her justice - Per Ardua Ad Astra.

Iain

You’re too kind. Welcome aboard.

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I somehow managed to completely miss your opening post yesterday Johnny, what an extra special incentive you have for this build...wonderful stuff. 

Keith

Thanks Keith.

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yes, Im not an expert on that, but the video confirm that clearly at 2:45.

https://youtu.be/5r80WsXrU04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r80WsXrU04

Very useful, thanks.

45 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

What a perfect reason for tacling this monster Johnny,look's superb with all those extras too,I'll be dropping inon progress!

I’ll try and make it a fun build. It’s Tamiya how much of a struggle can it be? (Famous last words)

18 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

It's going to be epic.

For some reason, my mind wandered off at a slight tangent -

Realised there's but 25 years between your previous -but-one Handley Page sticks n canvas string bag and this magnificent beast!

Luckily not that much string on this beauty.

• Like 5

Hopefully John this thread could be also for all (what can I call them?) more or less victims on the other side of that madness. I don't know. Mr Harris is of course not the little innocent for many useless attacks here at some stage of the war. Only to be said.

• Like 10

Wow! What can I say that’s a hell of a response. It really made me happy when I glanced at BM while I was at work so read all your comments. I simply had to reply to them all. I’ll try and give you all a fun build. The Micro saw turned up today and the bending tool was dispatched this afternoon. :penguin: 

I might creep up to the grotto for a bit but Tomorrow is official Model night at chateau Spadgent.

See you all soon.

Jonster.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hopefully John this thread could be also for all (what can I call them?) more or less victims on the other side of that madness. I don't know. Mr Harris is of course not the little innocent for many useless attacks here at some stage of the war. Only to be said.

You are right of course. War is never the answer. And this shows the terrible loss it wreaks. A very poignant post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to take a seat on this build also. I've had one of the original kits and currently wondering what type of diorama to with one kit I found in my stash Kit #61020-400 No.9 B1-BIII POS S. This kit is molded in black. I'll follow along with interest.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Strewth what a crowd here already. I'll just shove in over at the bar. Is it my round again!! Spent a wonderful day in the company of Just Jane this summer and used to see the BBMF Lanc up at the Leuchars airshow so couldn't miss this one - especially given the size of the beastie.

• Thanks 1

On 05/02/2018 at 8:58 PM, Tomoshenko said:

That's what I like to hear.

I thought you might. :innocent:

On 05/02/2018 at 9:36 PM, f111guru said:

I'd like to take a seat on this build also. I've had one of the original kits and currently wondering what type of diorama to with one kit I found in my stash Kit #61020-400 No.9 B1-BIII POS S. This kit is molded in black. I'll follow along with interest.

Ron VanDerwarker

Great to have you along. Hopefully it’ll be of some use and I won’t spoon the whole thing. :winkgrin:

23 hours ago, DAG058 said:

Move over everyone, I'm coming too. And when do you plan on building the extension to house this one? :lol:

I know what you mean. Please take a seat. :lol:

22 hours ago, Harley John said:

Strewth what a crowd here already. I'll just shove in over at the bar. Is it my round again!! Spent a wonderful day in the company of Just Jane this summer and used to see the BBMF Lanc up at the Leuchars airshow so couldn't miss this one - especially given the size of the beastie.

Yes indeed come right on in. I have never seen a Lanc in the flesh. (For shame) I will have to remedy that before this concludes.^_^

Tuesday night is Model night my foot.:mellow:

cook dinner, walk dog, help with home work, fix printer to print home work, put the bins out, shut up the chickens. (In their coop) well after all that I’m shattered so only managed a wee blast at the bench.

what was that I was saying about Tamiya kits and not doing much sanding? 

Well as the PE tool hadn’t turned up yet I decided to see if I could salvage the bomb bay. 

28343066319_b1d42b80e1_b.jpg

those pegs locate the row of four bombs. There as rightly stated are rows of three bombs, something has got to give.:whip:I clipped the pegs but they will still leave an ‘orrid round Mark. I inntially planned on sanding bits and trying to keep some detail. This was last night. This afternoon after thinking about @CedB and his “SIHRDCF” I think that was it any way I ventured up Digbeth high street and bought this beauty.

40124194951_1de43ea314_b.jpg

:lol: plan is to sand it all off and re-instate the framework with trimmed plasticard.

word to the wise, if you’re going to follow in my footsteps then don’t glue the front bit on the other side before sanding. If you do you will have to make a little Lego jig to level everything off again.

40124195011_b3fac32f54_b.jpg

aaaand Wallop! Man this thing eats through plastic.

more nobbles off with another new tool. “Tamiya micro saw”

39224885235_7af55c5030_b.jpg

or “Son of Dexter” :lol: aaaand more Wallop!!

39412099754_3d7076915f_b.jpg

well that seems pretty good for no time spent. Tomorrow will be more productive. Fingers crossed.

thanks for looking in.

All the best chums.

Jonster.:fish:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 12

Aha, another file convert! SIHRDCF? Is that diamond cut? The one I have, recommended by perdu, is a second cut hence the sihrsc action you may have seen from me and The Baron. As long as it works for you though Johnny, file away! Just don't press and you'll hear when the plastic is smooth. Magic!

A Tamiya micro saw too? You old tool tart you. Welcome to the club! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A wonderful project for an equally wonderful reason Johnny, I shall be following this one from the corner of the bar. Pop another barrel on will you? 

Now, these SIHRSC. Will there be a thread in chat for us owners to post pics of our favourite tools? (Stand down CedB).

Or perhaps an exclusive club with a discrete badge to be worn at all meetings and shows?

• Haha 6

On 2/5/2018 at 2:13 PM, bbudde said:

While we're remembering innocent victims, in 1933, there were over 16,000 Jews living in Hamburg, the fourth-largest Jewish community in Germany. By 1943, all but 1,800 had been deported to concentration camps, where 7,800 perished. Unlike the population of Hamburg, they weren't protected by a ring of guns, or radar, or night fighters, or even searchlights. They contributed nothing to the Allied war effort, if one discounts the disproportionate efforts the German state put into slaughtering them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

When I realised you were looking at the BBMF Lancaster, I remembered I had some photos from a visit to the museum at Conningsby, Lincolnshire, back in 2016. A great place to visit, by the way. They had on display there a 1:24 scale model of the aircraft... now THAT was a beast :) :

28359421699_ab24276aab_b.jpg

I think you mentioned you were toying with the idea with having your model with an engine 'out', or at any rate uncovered? On the day I visited, they had it in the hangar with the engines exposed. Notwithstanding other people may well have better photos (photography ain't my thing, especially with the rubbishy old phone I was using at the time), I'd be more than happy to share the least rubbish of mine if it would be of help.

• Like 5