Max Holste Broussard 1/72 Scratch Built Masters & Models

I like the Boussard for it's querkiness and I had an idea to build one some time way in the past. I've got my popcorn ready, I'll be watching with great interest. Good luck with the build.

Colin

• Like 1

I'm still plodding through piles of drawings and photographs! Here's my revised under-plan view on the left, compared with the original plan on the right. You can see there's a number of subtle and not so subtle differences in the size and positioning of the airframe components.

broussard006.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

You can see there's a number of subtle and not so subtle differences in the size and positioning of the airframe components.

Actually some of the differences aren't subtle, they're significant, the overall length as well as the area, chord and LE sweep of the tailplane are noticeably different! 

It just shows the value of original research, I wish certain mainstream manufacturers were as meticulous.

Great work so far Steve!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

The side view is just about there now and I've also been working on the front view. While working on either of the three views and projecting the measurements from one to another, I find I keep making slight adjustments to all three. It's getting pretty close now, certainly good enough for 1/72 scale. Since the last picture, the prop, cowl and spinner have all been reworked along with the aerials on the roof.

broussard008.jpg

broussard009.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

This is great work Steve and I applaud you for not taking for granted what has gone before.

I did wonder whether the rear set of windows had changed throughout the aircraft's production run which would explain the vast difference in shape between what you'd observed and the old plans, well looking at Avions de la guerre d'Algerie blog  suggests this plainly isn't the case, so well done to you for wanting to get things right!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

.....What software package are you using might I enquire?

I'm just using the GIMP photo editing software. I don't do CAD. For some areas, I've been importing square on photos of the aircraft parts to a new layer and traced the outlines, then using measurements taken to check. Other parts I'm just scalling the measurements taken onto the drawing. Since I didn't need the drawing to be scaleable to a large size with no detail loss, there wasn't much point getting and learning CAD software for a one off project.

• Thanks 1

On 03/03/2018 at 08:27, Wez said:

I did wonder whether the rear set of windows had changed.......

The rear windows were probably enlarged to allow a better view and field of fire from the machine gun. I don't know how many versions of the aircraft were made and whether window sizes featured in the changes. The drawing with the teardrop window must have got that shape from somewhere.

bruce14.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

Really impressed with the attention to detail here and can't wait to see this project develop. :worthy: Pitched up my pup tent and have my Thermos and sarnies ready for my wait in the queue and looking forward to a 1/72 Broussard! Still surprised that Heller didn't kit this beauty!

Steve

• Like 1

Two weeks to the day from doing the survey of Broussard G-CIGH, I've finished my 4-view drawing. It won't be 100% accurate having only spent one day taking photos and measurements, but the 4708 x 4621 pixel image is much better than anything else I can find. Along with the photos that help to show the 3D shapes and curves, it will be good enough for a 1/72 scale model.

broussard010.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I can only echo everyone else’s comments. This is very impressive draughtsmanship and I can’t wait to see the resulting model.

As an aside here is an example I snapped at Duxford in the early 80’s, complete with unintended tail mod. If I remember rightly it was one of a pair on the register at the time.

26738871068_4d8aa98b12_b.jpg

Trevor

That four view plan is the business! Top notch work work! I think it's going to be perfectly accurate in 1/72 scale....certainly for me!

Here's the airframe I hope to build. Not sure if I can get that badge readily enough in decal form though and the dayglo will drive me nuts.

26741522738_cc722d6826_z.jpg

Enjoying this thread a lot! 

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

One last fiddle with one side view on the drawings removed the fin and dihedral on the main wing to show the wing and tail root ribs. I also drew in some sections. These will be the first job on the build, making some 'female' forms for templates to check the fuselage shape during sanding. Will it be tomorrow? Stay tuned!! 😉

broussard011.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

Chocks away! Here we go!!! The sections were taped to some 1mm styrene to form templates for the fuselage shape. Because of their small size and possible margin for error in trimming out the templates, they will be used as a guide to the shape rather than rigidly following their dimensions.

The larger dimensions of the fuselage taper for example, will dictate the overall height and width compared to the side view, so if the template is a little tight for its correct position, the template will be adjusted. The printed line for the templates is probably less than 1mm wide, but viewed through a x15 magnifier, that line looks really wide, and so there's a margin of error possible when cutting out the templates.

broussard012.jpg

It took quite a while and lots of scalpel sharpening to carve away fractions of a millimetre of plastic at a time.

broussard013.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2