PK-8 Gloster Gladiator - one week build!

maltadefender

Which colours for the Gladiator  

13 members have voted

1. 1. My pick for the colour scheme would be:

• 3 Sqn (all silver with a '3' on the vertical stabiliser, yellow wheels) from the Revell kit
    • 72 Sqn (silver with red and blue stripes) from the old Airfix kit
    • 73 Sqn (silver with blue and yellow flashes, red wheels) from the new Airfix kit
    • 87 Sqn (silver with green wavy line over black stripe, blue on the vertical stabiliser and wheels) from Pavla set

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/18 at 20:21

It's one of my all-time favourite aeroplanes and not one that I've ever managed to build properly - so why not try and do one in a week? Yes, it's the Gloster Gladiator as my second and final entry in this GB.

My first attempt at a Gladiator was with the old tool Airfix kit. It went together OK but looked rather anorexic.

My second attempt at a Gladiator was the 1/48 Roden Sea Gladiator which collapsed into a gluey blancmange.

Third time lucky? Let's hope so with the old Matchbox kit repopped by Revell:

25213218397_436408a2a0_k.jpg

If my Hawker Fury was anything to go by, I hope that this will be a confidence-building experience. I've got all manner of decals for Gladiators but given the time available I'm going to stick with an all-silver pre-war scheme. The question is: which one? All have their merits and all will be done at some point. As I've done the silver-and-yellow Fury I feel it would be quite nice to come up with something that complements it.

I fell in love with the Gladiator as a small boy on my first visit to The Shuttleworth Collection when their example was in 72 Sqn colours, so that has appeal...

25213359267_646ace6f4f_k.jpg

... but the 73 Sqn scheme of 'Cobber' Kain that Shuttleworth's Gladiator wears today is a lot more attractive to my eye, and I've got those decals in the new tool Airfix kit...

39186587295_742bfc06a5_k.jpg

...and then there's the 87 Sqn scheme that is in my Pavla upgrades box... 

39186517005_b636ca7c3b_k.jpg

...and as a final choice there's the 3 Sqn decals which come with the Revell kit. It's plain silver all over but I love the art deco '3' for the tail.

26211284978_9c5747c1fb_k.jpg

So while I'm getting on with building a standard silver Gladiator I'm going to throw this one open to the floor with a poll. Which scheme would you like to see in the Gallery next weekend? All thoughts gratefully received.

Edited by maltadefender
typo
  • Like 4

Good luck with you "Gladiator in a week' build..

It would take me over a week to settle on a paint scheme, then I'd probably change my mind half way through and choose something completely different!

With a name like "Malta Defender' it would be apt to build this as one of the famous 'Faith, Hope & Charity' Sea Gladiators, however I think an all silver bird is wise considering your tight deadline.. All the best.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Dave - well there's the MTO and the Carrier GBs still to come. I hope to get three Malta Glads done this year!

• Like 2

Thanks, Steves! Will see how the poll shakes down tomorrow. In the meantime I started work yesterday with the cockpit and pilot, painting the engine, the cockpit canopy, the radiator and the exhausts. I've also been drilling the holes for threading my rigging through - as a result of which I now have a hole in my right index finger from drilling with only a miniature bit!

Should at least remind me to buy an appropriate drill for said bit in future! Not least because there are lots more holes on a Gladiator than on a Fury. Anyway, here are the pics so far:

39215389735_3f1c3ac6dd_k.jpg

25242403027_44d892cffb_k.jpg

40114588931_e85b657f29_k.jpg

As per the Fury I shall put the centre section together first and put the top wing on there, then fit the bottom wings and interplane struts. There's been quite a bit of flash to get rid of and one small disaster when clearing excess from the chat-outs in the cost for the struts to go through. The silver plastic is very brittle and the rear corner just popped off with very little pressure. I'll have to use filler to cover up the hole before painting.

So far it could be worse I think...

• Like 3

Good point, well made! Top wing's on and the centre section struts are rigged. I'll put the bottom wings on and touch the engine up while I'm at it.

• Like 1

A little update...

Here's the top wing mounted and aligned using the cabane struts. I've now put a second coat of aluminium on around the guns and painted them as they're going to be behind a cars cradle of rigging soon.

25252156557_656444c25f_h.jpg

I've finished detailing the engine and started painting the prop. I'll get those bottom wings on soon.

• Like 5

I'm done for tonight. Wings are on and the cabane struts have rigging. The engine is done and awaiting its chance to go on.

The habitual problem of having interplane struts joined together in a single piece is that you can see the 'cheat bar' in its recess in the wing. I thought that I had shaved enough off these ones but the camera is a cruel mistress, so that will be a job for tomorrow, shaving them down. All in all, though, it was a productive evening and I'm happy with it.

28345714099_24d40dafd6_k.jpg

Edited by maltadefender
  • Like 3

The poll has closed on the choice of schemes and it's K8027 of 87 Squadron that's the winner by one vote, using decals from the Pavla set.

Having confirmed with the Broadbents of Pheon renown, I'm going to follow their guidance on the colours as Rowan's research is excellent in these very matters. According to Rowan, after it became a Flight Commander's aeroplane, the blue areas of the scheme were increased onto the horizontal stabilisers and the 'hump' behind the cockpit glazing to make K8027 look like she does in the attached pic from the top of Pheon's excellent Gladiator decal set.

So that's how mine will be too. My only deviation will be to retain the propeller from the kit with its nose cap securely in place.

Thank you to all who voted and have taken the time to read this far in the thread.

40110231672_0da02c65db_z.jpg

Edited by maltadefender
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it all went a bit quiet. It's been a bit mad on all fronts with an ill wife, some interest in employing me and three kids on half term. I didn't quite manage to get the radio aerials done in time, but got her as finished as i could today and photographed her outdoors in moody winter twilight.

Thanks for sticking with me and thanks to the guys for a very enjoyable GB.

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

More in the gallery...

• Like 5