1/200 HS.125 Corporate Jet +++ FINISHED +++

CliffB

Here's one for my collection of 1/200 rear-engined passenger jets.

HS125-Box.jpg

Although being tiny, the kit has a reasonable number of parts and is delicately cast.

P1100232.jpg

There are two decal options: a Shell corporate jet and a Qantas crew trainer.

I'm going well, I'm going Shell (my apologies if you don't remember the 60's jingle :winkgrin:).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I've a number of Cloudbreak, Shed Models and Metal Models kits, so I'll be interested do see how you get on here

Hi Joseph. This will be my first white metal kit, although I've used some accessories before.  To be honest I'm not a great fan of the medium, but the surface finish of this kit is so smooth that I'm expecting an easy ride.

9 hours ago, Col. said:

This one is a bit different B) A tiny metal civilian jet plane. Welcome to the GB Cliff.

Thanks for the welcome Col.  I've just bought an enormous spray can of metal primer for this build, which looks ridiculous alongside the kit!

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice Cliff, I hope you go well with the build :D

Thanks Ray.  We were exposed to far fewer TV ads back in the 60s, but that's probably why they were more memorable (plus, of course, I had a memory back in those days!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Should be interesting Cliff,not often we see white metal kits at all.

10 hours ago, Col. said:

We have every faith in your considerable abilities Cliff :thumbsup: 

Thanks guys.

My first job will be to check out the recommended preparation and adhesives....

• Like 2

Cliff:

I have not yet built a white metal kit yet although I have one in the stash.

Look forward from learning from you, what glue you use, what paint issues, etc. during your build.

Good luck!

Greg in OK

• Like 1

On 07/02/2018 at 1:21 AM, Greg in OK said:

Cliff:

I have not yet built a white metal kit yet although I have one in the stash.

Look forward from learning from you, what glue you use, what paint issues, etc. during your build.

Good luck!

Greg in OK

Thanks Greg

The instructions recommend assembling the kit using slow-acting CA, two-part epoxy or solder.  I'm not even going to consider soldering and I always make a right mess with epoxy, so it looks like it will be CA for me!

My limited experience of using CA with metal parts is that the bond is often not as strong as one would expect :(.  Fortunately with this kit though, the heavy parts pretty much hold themselves together.  For example, here's the tail section just resting on the fuselage.

P1100233.jpg

You'll also notice the slots into which the engines fit - again things seem to be designed to be inherently robust :).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

A nice choice of subject and an unusual choice of white metal.  Will be interested to see how it goes together with CA.  I've built quite a few white metal locos, starting with epoxy resin but then graduating to low melt solder which makes filling any gaps very easy.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2018 at 12:09 PM, Grandboof said:

This will be an eye test Looking forward to more 

Martin H

Thanks Martin.  It's definitely one for the magnifying glasses.  One good thing about the small metal pieces though, is that their weight stops them flying off into orbit in the way that small plastic bits do! 

I've been working on the plane this afternoon and here's where six parts and three hours has got me.

P1100242.jpg

Although the parts fit together pretty well, there are mould lines to remove and some joint filling required in order to get a really smooth finish.  I've been using needle files and small sanding sticks to do the necessary.  Altogether a rather dirty exercise (if you've ever worked with white metal, you'll know what I mean).

The front sections of the engines are separate, 2mm diameter hollow pieces which bit over small cones representing the intake fan spinners.  They are fiddly to fit, but look great when on and of course there's no need to paint the silver internals!

On 11/02/2018 at 3:14 PM, FortyEighter said:

A nice choice of subject and an unusual choice of white metal.  Will be interested to see how it goes together with CA.  I've built quite a few white metal locos, starting with epoxy resin but then graduating to low melt solder which makes filling any gaps very easy.

Hi FortyEighter.  I have a mate who builds white metal locos so I can appreciate the benefits of soldering when you need that strength.  I'm lucky with the HS.125 that the only stressed joint (the one between the tail section and the fuselage), has a large surface area.  I used thick CA for this joint and it seems to have worked a treat :).  I used thin CA for the engine parts and as a joint filler - likewise no problems so far.

Without really knowing what I'm supposed to do next, I've given the model a gentle overall rub with some steel wool.  I'm hoping that this will give a good foundation for the Tamiya metal primer that I'll be using.  Before then though, I need to clean up the remaining seven parts which make up the undercarriage and its doors.

Finally, here's a pic to put things in perspective.....

P1100243.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cliff

• Like 12

Thanks Col. :)

Well, if the build wasn't easy enough already, it just got easier!

P1100247.jpg

I've just put the Tamiya primer coat on and it's delivered a beautiful, satin grey finish which is ideal for the light grey wing/lower fuselage colour.  It looks like I'm saved a job.

Next up will be Alclad primer (my usual choice for white surfaces) :winkgrin:.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 9

Thanks again Col :)

Thankfully, some tentative tests have confirmed that the primer is holding well.  It is however prone to rubbing off on high spots, so I decided to fit the undercarriage to protect the rest of the plane.

P1100249.jpg

As you can see, I've also set about defining the boundary between the grey and the white paintwork.  It's common practice when modelling airliners to use a cheatline decal to mask the transition.  I've never before had to do it though with a cheatline quite as thin as this one!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 8

Wow - this might be small in nature, however will be big on skills to complete. I have every confidence (judging by your recent efforts) that’ll you’ll exeed the skills department by the bucket loads. For personal reasons, I’d go the Qantas scheme, however I’m more than a little biased in that choice! 

Cheers.. Dave (QF staff #522553). 

• Like 3

Thank you all for your comments :)

I almost went for the Qantas scheme, mainly because it has more colour.  However, I already have one 'Roo hopping across my display cabinet (a QantasLink Fokker 100), so I thought I'd do something different.

So here it is with the paint on.

P1100251.jpg

There's a slight ridge on the white edge, so when the paint's cured I'll give that a gentle rub.  I've also managed to wear some of the paint off the nosewheel - serves me right for not using primer there!

Overall though, I've had no problems painting the metal.

With a bit of luck, next time you see it, it will be finished!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 9

As I'd hoped, the HS.125 is now finished :)

P1100256.jpg

The decals went on without any traumas.

I must admit that I was not particularly looking forward to this build - I was nervous about working with the metal parts and I was only doing it as a means of getting an HS.125 into my 1/200 collection.

In reality though, I've really enjoyed it.

I'll post some more photos in the Gallery shortly, but in the meantime here's another photo putting its size into perspective.  In this instance I've used my other current GB build, a 1/72 Lockheed 10.

P1100254.jpg

As always, thanks to all of you who have supported this build and especially to Col for keeping everything on the boil :cheers:

Cliff

• Like 18