1/72 Zvezda MiG-29SMT

Had started this one quite a while ago and was planning to do it for the recent MiG-29 group build but did not get around to finishing it up until a few days ago.

Great kit, which builds much better than the 9.13 which had some fit issues. As with the 9.13, my main gripe is the separate wingtips which are very delicate and hard to get a perfectly smooth fit. Fit is still worse overall than the Trumpeter but it is more accurate, and includes the characteristic "pinch" behind the canopy. What's best about the kit, however, is the weapons. It's a veritable weapons set in its self with plenty of AA and AG goodies of which the only omission are R-77 missiles. Tired of the overuse of Kh-31s, I decided to arm this Fulcrum with a pair of Kh-29s along with KAB-500s. It looks menacing. I also built the fuel tank but I doubt that the aircraft could have taken off with this weapons load. Note that the Trumpeter only includes just one Kh-31 (!) which is quite lame, although it does come with R-77s.

For painting, I was disatissfied with the Akan SMT paint set when I built the Trumpeter, and so used my own mixes. For this one, I used the Akan paints for the T-50. They came with a greenish rather than blueish hue which I think was appropriate. My bet paid off, as I think they look spot on. Up to you to decide!

Overall, highly recommended kit.

WXLqii.jpg

Bd2B5r.jpg

Iq4UUy.jpg

bkLIJq.jpg

FdIp8e.jpg

• Like 29

On 2/5/2018 at 7:39 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Excellent result and I would never know that you had any fit issues.

Fortunately the fit issues don't leave may glaring gaps.

The wingtips are a PITA though. Except for the nose, the Trumpeter is much better engineered overall.