Scratch building aircraft basics

chrish

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. I'm looking for help as I transition from strictly OOB builds to attempting to add scratch built detail. Anything on the basic tools, materials, and techniques of scratch building would be very helpful.  I would like, for example, to be able to replace kit undercarriage legs with scratch built ones or move the position of wing fences. Nothing too ambitious to start with. Any articles or videos you can point me to would be most helpful. Thanks.

Have a look at @massimo's Buccaneer and Gannet build in Work in progress.

He goes right back to basics there.

Look at all the WIPs and there is a wealth of information .It would be unfair to highlight any particular modeller (OK I just did above!) as there are many many very fine modellers in there.

There's a hints and tips section too.

As to tools,you don't need to go overboard on the spending front. 

A good knife, a steel rule , a selection of glues and you are off.

Materials start with plastic card, which can be from food packaging or purpose bought.

Fuse wire,copper wire,thread and wine bottle foil all come in handy.

Basically anything can be used.

You don't say what scale you are working in or what you build but as a rule of thumb in 1/72 for example the cockpit just needs to look reasonably accurate and busy. 1/48 it has to be better than that and in anything bigger the switches almost need to work!

Perhaps I'm not the best person to answer this though as I have a workshop fit to bursting with unfinished projects and I've yet to show a model on here..maybe when I retire though.

I've been bashing plastic for 50 years+ and I still learn stuff on this site.

Enjoy yourself.

Richard

• Like 2

Thanks Richard. Your specific suggestion is especially welcome as I model post-war British subjects, mostly in 1/72, but a few in 1/48 also. The Bucc and the Gannet are two of my favorite subjects!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...