Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang -Swiss Air Force (Shelf of doom refugee #1)

In recent weeks I've actually managed to recover some of my shelf of doom projects, dusted them off and (gasp!) get them finished. I shall add them here as I get round to it.

The first of them is Airfix's excellent 1/72 P-51D. I've long wanted to complete a Swiss Mustang, ever since I first went to the Swiss Air Force museum at Dübendorf about 18 years ago (along with several other Swiss aircraft, but that's another story). Airfix's release seemed to be a good way to achieve this. The model went together very well, out of the box, and it was airbrushed with Alclad metallic lacquers. I've used Alclad a fair bit in recent years here and there, but oddly this was the first time I'd actually used it on all of an aircraft. Other colours were courtesy of Tamiya and Lifecolor. Decals were a mixture of kit stencils and Bright Spark. The latter went on well, but I thought that the white crosses were a bit thin, and would recommend that if you use any decals from this manufacturer to use an extra white layer underneath for light colours. Alclad Klear Kote was used to finish the model, and some exhaust staining added.

39371519744_afc38b81c0_k.jpgSwiss Mustang 1 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

25210177237_30783986e2_k.jpgSwiss Mustang 2 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

28301829419_d181629461_k.jpgSwiss Mustang 3 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

• Like 27

• 3 weeks later...