MikroMir 1/144th Whistling 'Paridae'

Been waiting for one of these for ages to go with the same company's Beverley I built a couple of years ago. Quite fiddly in places, particularly the props and the fit is a little iffy too but I think it builds up into a nice representation of the Argosy. There's even some interior detail up to a point. Quite a bit of nose weight is required too but the undercarriage is substantial enough to take it.

All we need now is an early C-130 I can do in the same markings....Thanks for looking.

26207915668_ed117bcd48_b.jpg20180204_163116 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

39370771034_5b8d26b746_b.jpg20180204_163134 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

26207690428_007b93d080_b.jpg20180204_163154 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

25209040457_4efdc09631_b.jpg20180204_162121 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

40048432872_5bbb56f341_b.jpg20180204_162225 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 44

Looks great.  Very nice paint finish.  I'd really like to start a 144th scale RAF transport collection.  Would be nice to see some pics with it and the Beverely.

17 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks great.  Very nice paint finish.  I'd really like to start a 144th scale RAF transport collection.  Would be nice to see some pics with it and the Beverely.

Here's a few of them together and one on it's base. Thanks for your interest. The colour difference is because I used a different shade of brown as I thought the Beverley looked too 'green' and I'm certainly not re spraying it now...

28320821409_d022e6f8c6_b.jpg20180205_133135 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

39202308005_be120d53af_b.jpg20180205_133232 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

39202328955_76ae1731c8_b.jpg20180205_133210 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

39389807624_64f2b96629_b.jpg20180205_133321 by Keith Sherwood, on Flickr

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 11

24 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

These are superb! Will you be doing a brown Herc to complete the set?

Thank you.  Yes I'd love to but not sure of my options re kit availability and decals. Will have to go and look.

A fab pair.  Thanks for going to the trouble of posting.  Interesting to see the difference in sizes of the two types.  The Beverley brings back happy memories of excitement as a boy arriving at Hendon in my dad's car before the one outside was allowed to deteriorate to the point where it had to be destroyed- an act I still find staggering to this day.  Now we have a plastic Spitfire and Hurricane outside but at least it means no real aeroplanes will be allowed to fall to bits again.

P.S.  An Andover would look good with these two. 

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 1

Thank you.

Indeed, it's such a shame about the Beverley at Hendon..I remember it well.  I believe the only one in captivity now is XB529 at Fort Paull near Hull?

I think my only options of a C-130K and an Andover are Welsh Models vacform's and although I'm sure they're nice kits I'm not keen on vacforms..

Anyone know if the Minicraft or Revell C-130's are useable?

3 hours ago, keithjs said:

Thank you.

Indeed, it's such a shame about the Beverley at Hendon..I remember it well.  I believe the only one in captivity now is XB529 at Fort Paull near Hull?

I think my only options of a C-130K and an Andover are Welsh Models vacform's and although I'm sure they're nice kits I'm not keen on vacforms..

Anyone know if the Minicraft or Revell C-130's are useable?

I know what you mean, vac forms are not by bag either, but I think Welshmodels now make a resin kit of the Andover. 

Hi Keith, 

The Argosy looks very good and the paintwork is superb. We used to call the Argosy "The Whistling Pig" because of the turbo-prop engines but it

was a good work horse and deserves to be better known. My first trip in one was in Sarawak in 1964 (215 Sqn, home base RAF Changi) as I "volunteered" as a temporary air dispatcher but that's another story. The Beverley, is excellent too and well known to me as it was favoured by our unit when we went on detachments and was easier to load up. As mentioned a lovely Herky Bird in camo. colours would make a lovely trio and with an Andover would really make a great diorama. Keep up the superb work. 

albamac 

Edited by albamac
spelling correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, albamac said:

Hi Keith, 

The Argosy looks very good and the paintwork is superb. We used to call the Argosy "The Whistling Pig" because of the turbo-prop engines but it

was a good work horse and deserves to be better known. My first trip in one was in Sarawak in 1964 (215 Sqn, home base RAF Changi) as I "volunteered" as a temporary air dispatcher but that's another story. The Beverley, is excellent too and well known to me as it was favoured by our unit when we went on detachments and was easier to load up. As mentioned a lovely Herky Bird in camo. colours would make a lovely trio and with an Andover would really make a great diorama. Keep up the superb work. 

albamac 

Thanks for your comments everyone. It seems like I'll have to look into a C-130 and Andover a little more then?

I thought the Argosy was also called the Whistling ***, (because of the nose radome maybe?) hence my Latin title so as not to offend the littluns that may get on here. Interesting story never the less and it's a pity the Beverley was out of service before I got to see one fly...let alone fly in one.... I believe one of our guys at work was a Navigator (or Radio Operator) on them too? He passed away a long time ago now tho'....  Thanks again.

3 hours ago, keithjs said:

I thought the Argosy was also called the Whistling ***,

I always thought it was the "Whistling Wheelbarrow" - because the twin booms looked like wheelbarrow handles ????

Excellent build and diorama Keith :thumbsup:

Ken

• Like 3

Wonderful job,..and I love the diorama too... I have to get one of these built myself!!

The upper wing roundels look a little large to me,...... but what do I know,....... I love this scheme on the whistling t*t,....also known by Beverley crews as the `Crisp Carrier' due to its meagre load carrying capability in comparison to the mighty Bev!

Cheers

Tony 

Morning Tony.

Thank you. Yes, I  agree with you on the roundels but despite looking long and hard everywhere I couldn't find any photos of a top view of 'real' ones. Only other built models and the drawings in the Warpaint book. (which is actually the same aircraft depicted in the kit) so  I assume they just copied that.

It wouldn't be a difficult to change them if any evidence does turn up.

Keith

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2018 at 08:27, keithjs said:

Morning Tony.

Thank you. Yes, I  agree with you on the roundels but despite looking long and hard everywhere I couldn't find any photos of a top view of 'real' ones. Only other built models and the drawings in the Warpaint book. (which is actually the same aircraft depicted in the kit) so  I assume they just copied that.

It wouldn't be a difficult to change them if any evidence does turn up.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I've just scanned a couple of images for you.  Check your pm inbox

Mike

On 06/02/2018 at 22:58, tonyot said:

The upper wing roundels look a little large to me,...... but what do I know

The roundels appear to be correct, according to images in the Warpaint series book; No.71 "Armstrong Whitworth A.W. 650/660 Argosy".

Mike