Hawker Hunter FR.10

1903flight

Well after finishing my first group build on time Starfighter F-104, the timing of this he start of the Hawker group build is just right. 

I have long planed lanes to build a 4 SQN Hunter FR.10 (I have a longer term aim to produce a model of all the combat types that 4 SQN have operated since the end of WW 2), so now is the time to start this one. Yes plus I have plans to use some of the unused parts in a upcoming Mirage F1 build. 

So so the plan is to build XJ633 of 4 SQN in June 1969. 

I will I’ll be using the Revell Hawker Hunter FGA.9 kit:

Revell Hunter FGA.9

Decals will be Xtradecal sheet X047-72 - RAF Hunter FGA.9 & FR.10.  

Xtradecal X046-72

And a Quickboost Hawker Hunter reconnaissance nose 

Quickboost recce nose

looking forward to the start.  

Edited by 1903flight
  • Like 10

Welcome to the GB and great to see another Hunter joining the list of types being modelled. Looks as if you got the kit at a good price :D 

Is the Quickboost nose for an FR.10 or is it more representative of the strike camera carried by some FGA.9?

Yes it was a good price - a pick a couple up from Modelzone at Bluewater in the January sales a few years.  Wish I had pick a few more up at that price.

Never open the Quickboost, so just assumed that it was for the FR.10 - however having check on the Big H site, not so sure now.

Just check on the AlleyCart site and they have have a FR.10 noise, so I have ordered one, along with the intake trunking for the Revell.  Just hope it arrives in time.

James

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1903flight said:

Yes it was a good price - a pick a couple up from Modelzone at Bluewater in the January sales a few years.  Wish I had pick a few more up at that price.

Never open the Quickboost, so just assumed that it was for the FR.10 - however having check on the Big H site, not so sure now.

Just check on the AlleyCart site and they have have a FR.10 noise, so I have ordered one, along with the intake trunking for the Revell.  Just hope it arrives in time.

James

Cool. Glad to hear that hasn't derailed your project. Didn't know about the Alleycat intake trunking but will have a look later.

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Yeah, Quickboost made a boo-boo and used the FGA9 camera nose and marketed it as an FR10 nose

Thanks for confirming that Dave. Something to watch out for in future.

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great choice of kit,Cant get over the price ticket,these kits are fetching £30 a pop at the second hand dealers now.

In that case a small portion of my stash is worth a couple of hundred quid! :o Please nobody tell Fiona lest I should have an 'accident'. :jump_fire::suicide::bristow::shoot::mg::tomato:

22 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Yeah, Quickboost made a boo-boo and used the FGA9 camera nose and marketed it as an FR10 nose

Reading a couple of hunter books last night came across a couple of images of XF419 with 58 SQN and XF418 with TWU with the camera nose fitted.

Apparently they were used for covert surveillance of terrorists. Interesting thing is that in both photos the line between the LAG and the DG/DSG is higher up on the noise compared to the rest of the fuselage - the is defiantly a step down at where the noise attaches the rest of the fuselage - makes me think the camera nose was transfer between different aircraft depending on serviceability?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Your 4 Squadron kit dream is matched by my desire to model each aircraft from No. 45 Squadron (who also operated Hunters in their latter day).

Can't see myself rigging a Vimy or a Vernon though, so may need to restrict this crazy notion to just monoplanes..   

Will be good to see this Revell classic take shape so I'll also watch on as I have this kit stashed away in duel quantities.

Cheers.. Dave  

@Rabbit Leader,  Was just going to stick with post WWII.  Rigging is not a skill I have.

Anyway not much progress as I have been away with work abroad, plus work is 'interesting' at the moment - it has been announced that office is moving 200 miles away and there will be redundancies - I think I am alright, as everyone that is leaving was told last week, while I was away.

However, on a positive note, look what arrived today in the post:

25627512197_1450cd51d3_b.jpg

This looks a little more complex than I expect (certainly as there is a deadline), so I may left the intake detail of this build ( I have another Hunter in the stash).

And this:

26627368868_cce90a8898_b.jpg

Somehow I have managed to order the 1/32 version...Doh :doh:

So have now place another order for the 1/72 version - anyone looking for a 1/32 Hinter PR10 conversion?

Will make start on the seat and cockpit tonight.

• Like 1

Nah, now you need a 32nd scale Hunter kit, no point wasting that nose part ;) 

The intake parts do look rather involved but I doubt much will be seen of the fuselage insert without a light and peering in. On the ones I've built a simple set of intake trunking was enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some progress.  Cockpit:

39918538044_576ce7376a_b.jpg

and the wings together:

25758304547_7c851975fb_b.jpg

Also managed to get the fuselage closed last night.

Feels good to finally be making some progress on this one.

• Like 3

On 26/02/2018 at 15:22, 1903flight said:

26627368868_cce90a8898_b.jpg

Somehow I have managed to order the 1/32 version...Doh :doh:

So have now place another order for the 1/72 version - anyone looking for a 1/32 Hinter PR10 conversion?

Where did you order you FR10 nose from ? Just looked on odds and ordnance site and can't see one 😣

Phil

Glad to see you're making headway on this one.

No pressure but if you want to modify the cockpit to better represent the FR.10 layout I can forward a couple photos and describe how I did it on my kit. Basically remove the upper left section on the instrument panel and the left side of the combing to replace it with a flat area. Move the gunsight slightly to the right and add a small camera control box to the new flat area on the left. Or leave it as the kit intended secure in the knowledge most won't know the difference anyway ;)

5 hours ago, shatters said:

Where did you order you FR10 nose from ? Just looked on odds and ordnance site and can't see one 😣

Hi Phil,

Odds and Ordnance is now sold by Alleycat Models

http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/hawker-hunter-pr10-conversion-revell-6579-p.asp

It is listed as a PR10 - Once I get mine, I will put up a picture to confirm that is the correct nose for a FR10.

James

52 minutes ago, 1903flight said:

Hi Phil,

Odds and Ordnance is now sold by Alleycat Models

http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/hawker-hunter-pr10-conversion-revell-6579-p.asp

It is listed as a PR10 - Once I get mine, I will put up a picture to confirm that is the correct nose for a FR10.

James

Thanks James, will have to have a good look round and get and an order together, £4 postage for a £3 nose is a bit silly, so will make it worthwhile.

Phil

20 hours ago, Col. said:

No pressure but if you want to modify the cockpit to better represent the FR.10 layout I can forward a couple photos and describe how I did it on my kit. Basically remove the upper left section on the instrument panel and the left side of the combing to replace it with a flat area. Move the gunsight slightly to the right and add a small camera control box to the new flat area on the left. Or leave it as the kit intended secure in the knowledge most won't know the difference anyway ;)

Thanks Col.

I have already closed up the fuselage, but the images might be helpful for the 1/32 project.....

So after last night, I have also got the tail pipe on and the the nose wheel undercarriage bay attached:

40740772102_7b39c1c1eb_b.jpg

Next to paint the intakes,  I am thinking light aircraft grey,  and hope the correct FR10 nose arrives soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1903flight said:

Thanks Col.

I have already closed up the fuselage, but the images might be helpful for the 1/32 project.....

So after last night, I have also got the tail pipe on and the the nose wheel undercarriage bay attached...

Next to paint the intakes,  I am thinking light aircraft grey,  and hope the correct FR10 nose arrives soon

This is the one I can find off-hand but know I have from the Pilot's Notes somewhere

http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/mainframeset.htm

• 2 weeks later...