This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

I assembled this and finished the cockpit a couple years ago and just pulled it out of the box again. It came with a great resin pilot figure.

IMG_5286

The parts are quite thick and heavy in places. Mostly happy with the construction but there are a couple spots that will look weird if I done sort them out. Like the gaps below:

IMG_5288

I'm pretty eager to get on to painting and especially decalling. I think I'll mask and paint the red stripes, though.

IMG_5287

Careful with the decals! When I started to apply mine, the decals (especially the red bands) broke apart!:swear:

I don't know if it was the first run or if they fixed it later, but be ware.:wait:

Thanks for the warning! I'm going to try painting the red stripes but I'll be careful with the other decals.

Got one of these in the stash but I want to improve some of my painting and weathering skills before starting it.  I'm also going to have to get a lighting kit from Warren for it.  You planning on lighting yours?

I hadn't considered lighting it. Too late now for this one but maybe a future spaceship model.

I had one of these but filed under b1n after experiencing the same horror story with the decals. next time i'll paint the stripes..

Good job so far ill be following with interest...

Ive got one of these sat on the desk next to me. Its been there a while as I cant decide if I want to use lighting or not.

I really do need to decide as its been sat waiting for me to decide for a while.

After seeing your build I am tempted to just build it as it is and save the lighting adventure for another build.

Interesting to hear about peoples experiences of the decals as that's one part of any build that I am most nervous about.

I sprayed a base coat of greyish white Tamiya paint and then masked the heck out of it to paint the red stripes using Vallejo. It worked out better than I hoped with crisp edges. There were a few spots where the red somehow got through the masking. I was able to sand some of it off thanks to the very thick base coat. Next up is future/pledge and decals which I'm really looking forward to.

Before I did the base coat I used Alclad chrome on the metal parts, gave them an oil paint wash and masked them.

IMG_5298IMG_5299

49 minutes ago, RACETRACK said:

love it! which white are you using?

Thanks. I mixed a bit of sky grey into flat white. I looked for a Tamiya paint but couldn't find the right colour without mixing. It still may be a bit dark.

Currently watching the series as a box set.

Looking forward to seeing how you weather this as the screen versions are severely battered.

7 minutes ago, John_W said:

Looking forward to seeing how you weather this as the screen versions are severely battered.

I’m the same - just up to series 3 episode 19, those Vipers have taken a hell of a battering, when I eventually build mine I’m not going as extreme as they are in the show right now as it may look a little over done. I’m very interested that see how this one turns out. 

39 minutes ago, John_W said:

Seems like lots of scorch marks. I'll try using black pigment and see how it works.

39 minutes ago, John_W said:

The red bands are very worn and pitted, especially round the nose too.

I wonder if I can do some of the wear by scraping and sanding. I may give that a try before resorting to painting on the wear (I forgot to save some of the base grey/white for touch-ups and chipping:S)

really love the show,box set binged it all twice! Used a viper pilot name as my I.d  here! Don't forget BSG Blood and chrome for an out of the dock Galactica. As for the weathering on the viper, yep they do take a pounding but it might be cool to do it straight off the line..

1 hour ago, RACETRACK said:

really love the show,box set binged it all twice! Used a viper pilot name as my I.d  here! Don't forget BSG Blood and chrome for an out of the dock Galactica. As for the weathering on the viper, yep they do take a pounding but it might be cool to do it straight off the line..

There is Adama's restored ship that they are prepping for the Museum in the very first episode.

Edited by John_W
Autocorrect :(