Spad's "go" with Daco Skyline kit in WP Simpsons scheme - FINISHED!

Spad

Hi all

Here goes with another attempt at a GB and also a foray into uncharted waters for me with a civil airliner.

I am having a "go" with the Daco Skylines -300 kit with their decal sheet for the Western Pacific Simpsons scheme.  I see Nimrod54 has already pitched in with this one so my apologies to him, not trying to step on any toes but, like him, I have had this kit/decal sheet combo for a number of years having waited a long time for Daco to re-print it. I finally got the sheet from them so that year, at Telford, I picked up the kit and the (Xtracolor) paints that they supply for it. It always looked at me from the stash but other things and events got in the way. Now's my chance to actually build it!

Anyway, here is the obligatory shot of sprues etc - big breath so wish me luck!

39179836145_504d9f42b5_k.jpg

See you on the other side!

ATB
Rick

• Like 8

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:41, Spad said:

I see Nimrod54 has already pitched in with this one so my apologies to him, not trying to step on any toes

You are not treading on any toes Spad, you crack on with your build and I look forward to seeing the end result.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 9:18 AM, nimrod54 said:

You are not treading on any toes Spad, you crack on with your build and I look forward to seeing the end result.

Thanks for the support Nimrod54.

So, first serious decision is upon me - solid cockpit windows (as the "Colorado Springs" version) or chop it ou and use the clear replacement. Any of you experience Daco builders got any advice for me?

ATB

Rick

20 minutes ago, Spad said:

Another question if I may - do these things need nose weight? Feels like the might.....:wonder:

Yes.  I used about 10g of lead for my Hapag-Lloyd Express -400 but the nose wheel leg is strong and it's better to err on the side of too much. 

25 minutes ago, Spad said:

Another question if I may - do these things need nose weight? Feels like the might.....:wonder:

Better safe than sorry! I would be adding weight, how much? I tape the parts together; wings fuselage and tailplane parts and balance it on my hobby knife to see how much I need

28330776029_79a71d8494_o.jpg

25239496887_80645d11e3_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys.

So, I've decided that I will give the clear cockpit transparency a go so have set about the fuselage halves accordingly. Here they are taped together with the replacement clear part

25608343297_9742f46290_k.jpg

Also you can see the evidence of the lesson learnt over on the Col Spring version where I assembled the halves before adding weight. That's Liquid Gravity you can see in there - probably a bit OTT using that as there is plenty of space to get the weight in with the cockpit roof missing but, hey-ho, I was in the "zone" and it's what I had handy at the time.

ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I've been away from the bench a little of late but checking-in on this Group Build I realised you guys don't hang about so figured I'd better get cracking.

Got to confess, the decision to go with the clear cockpit windows on this one may not have been the smartest move I've made 'cos I've got to do some interior - I find that challenging in itself but in 1/144 scale!!?! I must be mad!

Anyway, I had started so had to give it a go - once started I got into the swing of it and in some form of masochism I quite enjoyed it!

So here's the interior more or less done:

26944300878_3e8d7ab555_k.jpg

The instrument panel and coaming will be attached to the glazing piece to avoid gaps around the edges (hopefully!)

A bit of medium grey paint and the tiny windows should ensure little is seen from outside!

Ta for now - more at the weekend

• Like 4

Also managed to get the engine nacelles together.

The engine faces are free to take up any number of positions in the intake so the idea was to leave them unglued so they could be aligned with the intake lip when that was fitted after painting. Just in case of wayward glue I tried to align them with the intake lips anway.

Here they are with the others for the "Colorado" version (Black centre cones for this one, metallic grey for the "Colorado" version.

40813947471_9b8c122324_k.jpg

• Like 2

Got on a bit of a roll here!

Today I have got some paint onto the cockpit assembly and brought the fuselage halves together. I have also cemented the instrument panel coaming asembly into the cockpit roof piece. I shall leave that off until I have got a bit more airframe together so I can assess the nose weight needs.

Here's tonight's result:

40831044081_9bfcdc427e_k.jpg

I'm trying to get both of mine to the same stage so that I can get a bit of external painting done on both at the same time. Let's see how that works out! :D

• Like 3

Your cockpit looks great Spad :thumbsup:

I don't bother with that sort of detail in 1/144 preferring a windscreen decal. I know that others such as John (Viking) like there clear windscreens and .detailed cockpits with crews ready to take it for a spin.

I have only ever installed a kit supplied cockpit in an A330 and then ended up using a decal as I botched the windscreen installation and had to use way too much filler to rectify it.

• Like 1

Thanks R.A.Y.(?)

I have gone with the decal on the "Colorado" version.To be honest, I was just intrigued by the glazing option offered and wanted to see how it went. Maybe not if I do another one of these again!

ATB
Rick

3 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

I really like your method of doing the instrument panel coaming assembly.

Must try it myself in future. :idea:

Thanks!

Just be very careful about glue creep- it's incredibly close to the clear portion. I pre-glued the joint face  to soften the plastic then ran some more into the joint area - seemed to create a kind of seal to stop the glue pulling through onto the windscreen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2018 at 10:45 AM, Spad said:

Thanks R.A.Y.(?)

I have gone with the decal on the "Colorado" version.To be honest, I was just intrigued by the glazing option offered and wanted to see how it went. Maybe not if I do another one of these again!

ATB
Rick

Hey Rick, yes Ray is correct.

I have one Daco kit in the stash and might give the clear cockpit windscreen a go one day (even though I prefer decals)

Not sure if you have the signatures turned on, Ray is in my signature block above the GB banner.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I could show much on this one. Got the cockpit roof/glazing installed and blended in. Also managed to get some paint on at last. Started with the blue, don't ask why as I'm not sure to be honest. I think it was all to do with trying to get the engines finished so ended up spraying the pylons and overwing patches in same.

41039617832_b977543e97_k.jpg

27210179858_c6fdf4a7cd_z.jpg

For this as in the OP I have used the Daco matched paints which I understand to be made by Xtracolor so have the attendant issue of unpredictable drying time. This time it flashed-off pretty quickly but took about the same time as a Humbrol gloss to stop feeling tacky.

Making progress at last - I will finish this one within the timescale, I will!!

• Like 3

Making progress - after a bunch of mucking around with priming/sanding cycles this one now has some paint on, so a very similar stage to the Colorado Springs one now. Some years ago when I got the decals I later bought the kit and the Daco blue and yellow paints at Telford, in readiness for some day in the future (distant as it has turned out!) when I could realise the dream and build this jet.

40300021555_c5cb75f905_k.jpg

Its on a white base for those interested - and, man, it's bright! I don't think the pic really does justice to the colour tbh!

I also took the opportunity from Bank Holiday opening hours and got me a can of Halfords Racking Grey so we'll give that a go tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Viking said:

That is bright! nice finish though, look forward to seeing reach completion.

Thanks Viking - appreciated.

So been messing about with the Racking Grey. Thick paint and fast flow needs a faster pass than airbrushing otherwise it's farewell to the rather delicate panel line engraving. 

Got some pc probs tonight so not sure I can show pics - may have to try the phone but I'm a bit of a social media luddite tbh!

Still no PC but I can report successful application of Racking Grey (great colour - aside from accuracy, it's quite pleasing to the eye I find) The initial concerns about the paint layer vanished as the paint dried and the VOCs evaporated off. The paint has pulled down nice and tight and retained some decent sharpness to the surface detail, so pretty pleased with the outcome.

As I thought, it would have been much easier to spray the wings first then mask off for the fuselage, rather than the other way round as I have here - next time! Decals getting closer!

ATB
Rick

Getting a move on now. Finished the painting and started with decalling (my favourite phase I have to admit!). Started with the coroguard decal from the generic sheet in the kit. Goes down beautifully with no fuss. The livery decals look very different on the sheet from the Col. Spring set these looking thin and glossy - Col. Spring ones are quite matt and look thick though I think this is an illusion as they settle into the detail eventually. So I had a go with "Marge" on the fun - so very different! Just like the generic sheet - a dream! Also got the open window frames on - the instructions recommend this to help align the livery then apply the filled-in windows over the top - good tip I thought.

2018-04-08_08-44-24

• Like 5