Ask all your Sea Fury questions here

NAVY870

With the release of the Airfix Sea Fury I thought it might be useful to park all the info in one thread.

I'll assist with technical information and info more specific to the Royal Australian Navies operation.

And of course this thing will make an appearance or three

LKUyAN7.jpg

To get things started here's a couple of shots of a NOS Mark 4E gyro gunsight as fitted to the Sea Fury. This is the bit Airfix missed

bkTnky8.jpg

MpYkzLE.jpg

zjFnuNU.jpg

jfBz0zR.jpg

HkcM6lu.jpg

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 11

I'd like to finish my first Airfix Sea Fury in Canandian Navy colours but I'm unsure of the interior colours for the wheel wells, doors, legs and engine cowling? All the photos on line are different (possibly because they're restored examples)?

I was going to go with first my instincts and paint them the same as the lighter grey of the camouflage colours? Would this be correct? Thanks for any help in advance.

• Greg B pinned this topic

Top topic Steve. Thanks for taking time to do this.

A quick question re Hawker yellow - how does it compare to Sky hue and tone wise?

And - landing gear. Your Fury (how jealous am I of that sentence!! LOL) seems to have EDSG legs - which I've seen on a few other pics too ( or at least "dark" legs) - but was it a RAN feature?

Cheers

Jonners

Judging by the RN Historic Flight’s FB11 (yes, I know that assessing colours from modern restored airframes is fraught with risk), Hawker Yellow is not at all like Sky - it lacks the green tint.  More like a buff / tan  colour.

If you look in the BM walkrounds section you will find some detail shots I took of an FB11 under deep restoration (to Flight, I assume) at Duxford.  That shows the colour clearly.

Scroll down below the T20; the 8th photo down shows Sky & Hawker Yellow adjacent to one another around the wing root radiator

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Judging by the RN Historic Flight’s FB11 (yes, I know that assessing colours from modern restored airframes is fraught with risk), Hawker Yellow is not at all like Sky - it lacks the green tint.  More like a buff / tan  colour.

If you look in the BM walkrounds section you will find some detail shots I took of an FB11 under deep restoration (to Flight, I assume) at Duxford.  That shows the colour clearly.

Scroll down below the T20; the 8th photo down shows Sky & Hawker Yellow adjacent to one another around the wing root radiator

Cheers - thanks for that - I was looking at those pics the other day too! DOH!

Having seen the cannon tunnels though I may have to see if I can include them in the model ( I know I know...)

Jonners

• Like 1

Markings question for WJ236, one of Airfix kit's in-box selections.  I saw a single picture of this a/c years ago as cover art for a book on the Sea Fury that I should have bought.  It's been the one I want to do ever since and I want to do her justice.  Regarding the underwing serial codes, the kit markings are in Sky but the picture I remember seems to show these codes in a much lighter color that the under surface.  How then to do we know that the original serials were repainted in "fresh Sky" instead of white, or even very pale grey?

Thanks, Jim

Humbrol 74 is pretty close to Hawker yellow.

I did discuss with Airfix and supply them with references.

Jonners

Our aircraft has had the main gear legs changed out at some stage, possibly when it was with the CSIRO.

The legs should be sky, whats on ours looks like some type of primer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Did the oblique camera port behind the wing root always go on the left side, or could it also be installed on the right side?

Larry

From AP.4018B Volume 1 Sea Fury FB.11 General & Technical

"9. Provision is made for carrying vertical

and oblique camera's for photographic & 

reconnaissance duties. The mountings per

mit either 5 in; 8 in;14 in or 20 in cameras

to be used. The oblique camera can be mounted

in either side of the monocoque. The camera

controls are mounted in the cockpit"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

From AP.4018B Volume 1 Sea Fury FB.11 General & Technical

"9. Provision is made for carrying vertical

and oblique camera's for photographic & 

reconnaissance duties. The mountings per

mit either 5 in; 8 in;14 in or 20 in cameras

to be used. The oblique camera can be mounted

in either side of the monocoque. The camera

controls are mounted in the cockpit"

Great info, thanks. I have never seen a photo of a Sea Fury carrying a vertical camera, that would be interesting to build.

Larry

54 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

If going for total accuracy, then this won't do. The Hercules is a 14 cylinder engine while the Centaurus is 18 cylinders.

Chris

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Scimitar said:

The panel behind the exhaust steel one is moulded closed in the kit but in many photographs is shown open like the one attached.

How did it work? Was it a simple hinge or did it slide inside?

Thanks.

Richard

Hawker_Sea_Fury_T20_VX281_120-VL_(G-RNHF

Its the cooling air outlet

Its chain driven and controlled via a thermostat.

I've got pics somewhere

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2018 at 1:49 PM, NAVY870 said:

Interior of the engine cowl would probably be Hawker yellow

From what I've seen RCN aircraft had the gear wells, gear legs and door painted in the underside colour.

From my (limited, museum) experience: for the mains, wheel wells are grey over Hawker yellow; gear legs are painted silver; gear doors are chromate green(?  it's the same shade as inside the intakes) inside.  Tail wheel is a mish-mash: well is grey inside, doors and retraction struts are yellow chromate inside; the upper strut is chromate green while the lower portion is a heavily chipped silver paint over chromate yellow.

The same green can be seen inside the engine cowling.

Again though, this is a museum aircraft, so YMMV.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:51 PM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi - So here's my conundrum.

Landing light under the port wing - any pics anywhere? ( online I've found nothing).

I'm talking about the single lamp, not the double light installation under the starboard one.

cheers for any help

Jonners

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Maybe I missed it but when I saw the sprue shots did Airfix miss the window for the other double light in the starboard wing?

We have a Sea Fury here in Alberta at the museum in Calgary so that is a good thing if I need to go get some detail shots. It has the two light feature.