1/72 Omaha Beach

Ted

This mini project has languished for a while but today I got back at it. It's an Airfix LCVP with the figures from the Dragon LCM kit.

IMG_5279

The figures require assembly and fell apart when I used model cement or epoxy but thick CA glue did the trick. The detail is good for this scale. I'll have to cut off the American helmets on the RN crew and replace them with British helmets.

IMG_5277

IMG_5281

I mostly paint 1/35 or 1/32 scale figures so these were a challenge for my eyesight and unsteady hand. I used various Vallejo paints and washes. Still some work to do on them.

IMG_5282

• Like 10

Utterly fantastic figure painting, even more so at that scale. I can't wait for the next instalment!

@Ozzy was/is in the process of making a similar scene, but has been distracted by other things. Definitely worth a look though.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks all. Ozzy, I had a look through the dios in progress but must have missed your thread.

Here are the crew and Higgin's boat ready for primer.

IMG_5290IMG_5289

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I made a base buy smooshing and baking Sculpey and gluing it to a thick sheet of styrene. Then added a couple tank obstacles from the LCVP kit. I sprayed various acrylic colours. Once it's build I'll add some modulation with paint and pigments.

IMG_5379

IMG_5380

The LCVP  has had a couple oil paint washes, I pinned and glued it to the base and will add a bit more weathering and some water drips etc after I pour the resin water (my first time trying water :worry:)

IMG_5381

IMG_5382

I'm eager to see what the base looks like once I pour the resin, especially the colours. A big reason for building this dio is for practice. I started a 1/35 dio of an LCA with Canadians at Juno Beach and figured I should try creating a similar scene with a bit of a smaller investment first.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Will Vale said:

This looks really nice, especially the water base colours. How deep are you going to pour it?

Will

Thanks Will, I've been stalling on pouring the resin because I have to lower the ship about 3 mm. The plan is for water just past the lowest tank obstacle.

• 2 months later...