Hawker Hunter T.8 - ++FINISHED++

nimrod54

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:12, Hockeyboy76 said:

Oooo very nice. 

20 hours ago, CliffB said:

Super work John.  The flashes of colour on the seats should look very effective when in-situ :thumbsup2:

Cliff

19 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Lovely work, I look forward to seeing the finished article. I finished one of these recently as a T8, I did do a bit of detailing to the seats but nowhere near as nicely as you have. I too wanted to open the cockpit but wasn't confident I could cut the plastic part without shattering it. In the end there is very little that can be seen through the thick plastic.

Thanks for your kind comments chaps. I have fitted the canopy and you were right about the splash of colour Cliff, I think that there will quite a bit on show even after painting.

I was not happy with the fuselage shape to the rear of the canopy though, it looked a little flat when viewed in profile, and there was a very slight step at the canopy join. This was probably due to some over zealous seam clean up on my part, I removed the little blade aerial (now put away in a safe place, so you know that I am not going to be able to find that later :hmmm:) and I added a blob of filler. This was sanded to shape and polished but I expect to have to do some more remedial work once I have primed it up and checked it over again. 

40820017321_c71cd8c809_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping to have this finished by now. I had planned to paint the orange areas first, but there is a hold up with this paint, so after painting and masking the black areas, I decided to spray the silver and used Tamiya Silver Leaf for this. It does mean that I will have to mask a larger area this way, but at least I can progress the build some more.

40196351364_f637cef4b7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That silver looks nice dude. Is it a rattle can?

Thanks H, yes it is from a rattle can, it's Tamiya TS-30. I have just removed the masking whilst the paint is soft so that I don't risk tearing the finish. I'll probably give it a coat of clear before masking for the orange.

40198579114_0685a82996_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Looking good Hope your Orange turns up soon 

Martin H

Me too Martin, I was in touch with suppliers last week and they were expecting some by the end of the week, but I still haven't received anything. I can be getting on with the wheels, pylons and underwing tanks though, I need to check on those because I think that this aircraft had short tanks fitted and those in kit are the longer type, so some more research to do as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

...I think that this aircraft had short tanks fitted and those in kit are the longer type, so some more research to do as well.

Yes the 100 gal. tanks would be correct for this one. Bit of scratch-building required for those unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Yes the 100 gal. tanks would be correct for this one. Bit of scratch-building required for those unfortunately.

Thanks Col. Having looked at some photos, I thought that was the case, so I think that I am going to modify the kit tanks by cutting the ends off and shortening the centre portion. I guess that an alternative would be to use some tubing to make new centres and fit the end sections to that. One blessing to take from this is that I won't have to fit those fiddly little struts at the leading edge. :D

• Like 1

At one point I considered running up a set for my F.6 using a thick section of sprue from a kit stuck into an electric drill as an impromtue laith but can't remember which kit it was out of.

• 2 weeks later...

My paint order arrived today, so I hope to be able to push on with finishing this one now. I was waiting for the Orange colour for this build, but the rest of the set should come in handy for other projects too.

26361947607_5f40fa12e9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

26361949107_1600f168c6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I've also made a start on modifying the kit tanks to make the smaller 100 gallon versions. I did this by making cuts just in front of the pylon location for the front end, and along the scribed panel line just to the rear of the pylon location to remove the centre section and give the rear of the tank.

I reinforced the joint with some plastic rod and adjusted the overall length as required, these have been put to one side to allow them to set up properly and then I can fill the gap and sand as required.

26361946067_c0119b0aaf_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

Glad to see this one in progress again John. Are you going to reduce the diameter of the tanks as well to avoid them being a bit too fat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Are you going to reduce the diameter of the tanks as well to avoid them being a bit too fat?

I hadn't thought about the diameter Col, so thanks for the reminder. I've just put a pair of dividers against the drawings and they will need reducing - I'll add that to the list.

• Like 1

I made a start on modifying one of the '100 gallon tank blanks' late this afternoon, and after making slight adjustments to the length and giving the front end a rounder look, it was time to fire up the Mk.1 thumb and forefinger lathe. With lots of patience, plenty of spinning and several grades of sanding sticks, I ended up with this.

40362881445_453552a783_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41215074252_6a114698e4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I use the dividers to check the diameter and make sure that I am keeping things parallel along the length. With a bit more filling and sanding and the addition of two fins, this one will be finished. There are far easier ways of making these, including @Col.'s thick sprue and drill method, but personally I feel that this gives me more control and an adequate result in this scale.

• Like 5

It's a bit annoying the 100gal tanks weren't included by Mark 1, I considered making them for my T7 and but decided against it the end as it was wheels up and I was liking it clean. I might well follow your lead if I add a T8 to the stash.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:19, Col. said:

Those tanks are coming up grand John :thumbsup: 

Cheers Col. It plays havoc with the old fingers though. :winkgrin:

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:53, JamesP said:

It's a bit annoying the 100gal tanks weren't included by Mark 1, I considered making them for my T7 and but decided against it the end as it was wheels up and I was liking it clean. I might well follow your lead if I add a T8 to the stash.

Yes, it is a shame that the smaller tanks were not included James, but to be fair to Mark1 they were not in the original Revell kit either. :shrug:

I made some more progress on this one yesterday and I masked up for the orange colour. I think that it would have been better to have applied this first, it would certainly have made it easier to mask off. This was followed by some of Hataka's Luminous Orange (boy is that bright :cool: ) and it was unmasked once everything had dried.

41556009931_7167e91176_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

26687301057_012d1b79da_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41556011881_c6e99ff430_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41556011291_62f0bcf137_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

27685972838_1c0efcd8c3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

27685971858_4b83bcdd5b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Inevitably, there are a couple of small areas of paint creep that will need some touch up, but the main painting is almost complete now.

• Like 6

Just a small update, but I hope to start work on the decals over the coming week and things should progress quickly after that. However the small amount of work for today has seen the sanding and shaping the second 100gal tank completed, and then had a go at making a couple of fins on one of them. The hole is there to help with painting later, and one of the photos I've found of 688, seen in this link Hunter T.8, shows them to be white, so that is the colour that I am going with.

26892466577_d7751e3ed9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2