Fokker F.II - Classic Plane 1/72 Vacuum-formed.

interesting build and some lovely models, not built a vacform for a fair few years now, mostly built rareplanes. your build is inspiring and i am thinking of digging out the rareplanes spiteful from the stash and having a go at that, once i finish the walrus and komets!! 

8 hours ago, invidia said:

interesting build and some lovely models, not built a vacform for a fair few years now, mostly built rareplanes. your build is inspiring and i am thinking of digging out the rareplanes spiteful from the stash and having a go at that, once i finish the walrus and komets!! 

Hi Invidia

Rareplanes are excellent vacs as you know, do have a go at it!

For me they are a pleasant build with a relaxed approach producing many times a seldom seen subject. It's worth it!

Cheers

Ah, no roof. Hum, easy fix, another piece of very thin styrene:

40176293022_051e9694e6_b.jpg

26336600708_4947afefa1_b.jpg

And now with putty and glue set, work continues on the main subject.

Landing gear on:

25338003847_0717659760_b.jpg

State of the union:

25338003797_2d3320f08d_b.jpg

Now for priming and painting. Nose was metal (but not symmetrical due to a diagonal panel on the right, exhaust side), wing the usual Fokker varnished wood, and the rest my guess is red.

Still needed are the windshield (that varied enormously from machine to machine, so again check your references) and some strange contraptions, perhaps radio equipment-related, that hung form the wing and stab on the right side of the plane.

And of course the decals, that I commissioned again from Arctic Decals.

Edited by Moa
typo
  • Like 6

Hi Moa, 

Excellent models!!! I also enjoyed your build of the Miles Aerovan.

I am normally a lurker here, but now I need to post to make sure you give it the right colour.

The PH-RSL was indeed the first research plane of what is now the Netherlands Aerospace Centre NLR ("Nationaal Lucht- en Ruimtevaartcentrum") in The Netherlands. It started in 1919 as "Rijks Studiedienst Luchtvaart" ( government research service aerospace)  hence RSL. The aircraft was painted dark blue and not red. Pick any dark blue you want, nobody knows any more. The lettering on the fuselage was white. On the wing it was probably black. Maybe in a white rectangle like KLM at the time, I don't know now, because I'm on a business trip for several weeks and have no access to the few pictures I have of the PH-RLS. 

What was pioneered in the F-II was 'automatic' test equipment fitted in the cabin: a moviecamera filming an instrument panel.

Hope this helps!

Cheers from The Netherlands,

Peter

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mgbooyv8 said:

The aircraft was painted dark blue and not red. Pick any dark blue you want, nobody knows any more.

Hi Peter

So many thanks for the timely correction!

This shows the value of the forums where the whole is more than the sum of the parts (like a model, in a way ;-)

Your help is truly appreciated!

I found a picture of the wing hanging on an hangar, there is no white rectangle, just black regs on a typical varnished wood wing.

Too late to do something about the interior, but since it will remain hidden, no damage is done.

In any case I did reproduce the small opening at the bottom with a dangling gizmo, and will take care as I mentioned of the rigging on wing and stab.

Thanks to your input I found in my files (originally from somewhere on the Net) actual photos of the cabin instruments you are referring to.

You mentioned that you can't access your files at the moment, but do you recall from which source did you get the blue color reference?

Cheers

grateful modeler

Hi Moa,

funny you started with blue  wheels. My daily job is at NLR and for years we had a model of the F-II in the entrance and in the museum. The collection is in storage now. The volunteers of the museum are running a website. It is in Dutch only, but the following link has some pictures of the F-II: 

https://www.erfgoednlr.nl/index.php/2-uncategorised/40-galleryserieV1

Cheers,

Peter

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bristol boy said:

My Bristol Racer decals have arrived,

Hi Neil

That flying barrel will be fun!

That kit would need some attention from you. Just to name only one issue: the geometry of landing gear cuts in the fuselage -for the legs to get in- is wrong. The red lines are the correct curves:

40221250382_35fbf0ba91_c.jpg

• Like 1

Shameful that I've only discovered this fount of goodness at such a late stage in proceedings Moa - your work and practical insights on process make for highly engaging reading (plus excellent photography!).

My next build will be a first-ever attempt at a vacform, so this thread has been a most welcome initiation! :D

Tony

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

My next build will be a first-ever attempt at a vacform

Hi Tony

Thanks

I love vacs as much as love scratchs, then injected and then resins (unless it's an SBS resin, then I love it greatly too).

I think it's the creative side of it.

I hope you like building them, you will be welcome to our underground brotherhood ;-)

• Like 1